Welcome to PatsFans.com

Give Maroney Full-Time KR and PR Duties

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by maverick4, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Maroney's supposed strength is in the open field, and we don't want to jeopardize Hobbs' health or Welker's health.

A 3-headed monster of Morris, Jordan, and Faulk on the offense is a very strong running group.
  2. CheerforTom

CheerforTom Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I forgot about that, he actually did really well running back kicks a few years ago. Now that we have a thousand running backs, why not put him back there?
  3. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Jordan - isn't he the guy who spent the second half on the sidelines in a t-shirt after his 5th run of a 16 yard game...
  4. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +905 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

Mo, if we start using those "facts" thingies.... these threads are going to be very, very short.....:(
  5. CheerforTom

CheerforTom Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

What exactly is wrong with this idea? BB put Maroney back there when it was just him and Corey. Surely 3 guys are the equal of 2006 Corey.

And how is judging Jordan on one performance any different than judging Cassel on one performance?
  6. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Hobbs is our best kick returner. Hobbs returns kicks. Very simple. Field Position is important, especially without superhuman Brady leading the way.
  7. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +905 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

Jordan is injured. Jordan is frequently injured. Jordan has a back problem, which means he'll be prone to hurt/injury for the rest of his career. He's also only averaged above 4 YPC in one game this season.

Maroney is injured/hurt. Maroney is frequently injured/hurt. He's only had averaged above 4 YPC in one game this season.

Morris was injured last season. Morris is averaging 3.3 YPC this season. He's 31 years old. He's only averaged above 4 YPC in one game this season.

This team needs all 3 rbs in order to accommodate the inevitable injuries, and putting Maroney in on krs and prs is not the best way to do that, especially when Hobbs does krs so very well.
  8. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

has maroney ever been a PR?
  9. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +212 / 4 / -5

Actually, Hobbs and Maroney are almost equal in returning ability, IMO.
  10. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +905 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

According to Pro-Football-Reference.com, he's never had a punt return in the NFL.
  11. CheerforTom

CheerforTom Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's true that Hobbs is clearly the best KR on the team, but Maroney was quite good in 2006. I know I'd forgotten that. It's also true that we seem to have a fairly injury-prone running corps, but since when do we not worry about the Patriots' secondary injuries? There were scares last game with Hobbs AND Wilhite, with Sanders already out. I'd rather see Maroney go down than Hobbs right now. You don't even think alternating them is a good idea?
  12. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +905 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

Frankly, I don't think that either one of them should be back there given the current state of the RBs and CBs.
  13. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Ellis is doing too well IMO. If he has a slump then I support the idea of Maroney returning.

But we need Maroney to get carries too Jordan has been injured more often than not and Morris lasted 5 games last season.
  14. Brady to Brown

Brady to Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you a little girl?

I have two little girls and you sound like them.
  15. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +212 / 4 / -5

Just remember, though: that was literally a freak injury (two OLs fell on top of him), and there's no reason that should affect him this season.
  16. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

What is your point? Are you saying that 3 running backs in Morris, Jordan, and Faulk is not enough for the offense? I'm not following your thought process in that quote.

Hobbs is one of our best corners and he's a small guy who gets dinged up pretty often, plus there are less viable alternatives should he go down compared to the RB situation. Why risk putting him back there for every kickoff? Same deal with Welker on punt returns.

Come playoff time or in key situations I am okay with our best players taking on dual roles like we did in the 2001 playoffs, but for regular season games why risk further injury to your key players when we have a good open field runner who isn't being used as much.
  17. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Two possibilities, either you don't understand what Mo is saying and the logical fallacy of his statement, or you usually add no value when you post and normally sound like a little girl
  18. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +905 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

Clearly you are missing the 3rd possibility.
  19. D-cleater

D-cleater Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

here, here. at least in terms of KR. Maybe he gets some confidence if he can bust off some big runs. He may lose a few yards to Ellis, but considering the injury potential, I like our depth at RM a hell of a lot more than our depth at CB. As much as Hobbs gives me grey hairs we need him at CB. I cringe when we return kicks.

PR is a no-no, though. It takes something special to be a PR in the NFL, and Maroney's talents are a better fit for KR.
  20. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Valid points... but Sammy is on the wrong side of 30, and he's never carried more than 132 times in one season. I'd rather not rely solely on him and Jordan as our main rushers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.