Welcome to PatsFans.com

Give it up for Asante (NOT the touchdown play)...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patsox23, Jan 8, 2006.

1. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 1 / -0

I've been killing Asante all year. He's frustrated me with drops, soft coverage, and - along with Geno - not being able to really step up and lead in the wake of Rodney's injury. But tonight really impressed me. The INT was great and all, but more than that it was his coverage, timing, knock-aways - just an all-around terrific effort.

THIS is the Asante - and the Geno, for that matter - that we've missed and have been waiting for. Just in time!
  2. RPCity

RPCity Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He missed two plays that I saw before putting the game on ice with the INT for a TD.

The two catches just before the fumble.

He came back the next possession with excellent coverage I felt. Nice game by Asante.
  3. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +74 / 2 / -0

When Leftwich finally shook off the cobwebs (and before the Pats LBs put them back on him) and went on his tear, Assante and the rest of the secondary were looking suspect.

In reality I think Leftwich was throwing perfect laser beams more than Assante was playing poorly

The important thing is, he stuck to the defensive scheme, didn't get overly frustrated, and prevailed in the end

All things indicative of a mature veteran in the playoffs
  4. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Every DB is going to give up completions and will occasionally get beat. If Samuels can play the way he did last night for the rest of playoffs, I'll be happy.

He did cover well and had a couple of 'knock aways'.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  5. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

We should be fine with the level of play we saw from the starters yesterday.

The open question is how well the nickel and dime backs do next week. Note that Brown was in at dime instead of Sanders, with Poteat at nickel.