PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Give Aways/Take Aways

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Last year we finished the season -6 in give aways/take aways. It is amazing that we even got to the playoffs with that difference.

It is not rare that teams with a minus in that stat make the playoffs, but it is unusual.

Right now we are -2 after two games. We must turn this around. I say tomorrow night will be a good time to start.

Our SB teams were always were + in that stat. Turnovers can be created. Most are results of heads up play rather than mistakes by the other team.

Something to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

Hopes Hobbs contributes in this; he seems to be the kind of player who can do this.

I think they will come. Once the defense gets more used to playing together they will happen.

And once Brady gets more used to the receivers they won't happen so much on offense.

zippo59 said:
I think they will come. Once the defense gets more used to playing together they will happen.

And once Brady gets more used to the receivers they won't happen so much on offense.

I'm more concerned about the D creating turnovers than the O giving them up.

That was a main trait of the Patriots D during our SB years. I think it will come soon.

PATSNUTme said:
Last year we finished the season -6 in give aways/take aways. It is amazing that we even got to the playoffs with that difference.

It is not rare that teams with a minus in that stat make the playoffs, but it is unusual.

Right now we are -2 after two games. We must turn this around. I say tomorrow night will be a good time to start.

Our SB teams were always were + in that stat. Turnovers can be created. Most are results of heads up play rather than mistakes by the other team.

Something to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

Amen Nut!
Three stats to watch and see how this team or any will fare are the turnover ratio, third down efficiency (on both O and D ), and penalties/yards. Last year, we saw how the third one can be manipulated by the league to greatly alter the outcome of many games, especially in the playoffs. But the first and second ones are largely controlled by the team. So far this year we look much better in areas 2O and 3, but need work in areas 1 and 2D.
Good to be back and I am hoping to start commenting here regularly again.

Aren't we -3?

We actually were -4 until the last play of the Jets game, plus a blocked field goal.

We've essentially won two straight games despite a -2 in each, which is extremely unusual. As a matter of fact, only 4 teams so far this year have won despite having more turnovers than their opponents. New England has 2 of those 4 and is the only team to win so far this year despite having 2 more turnovers.

Lots of people have criticized the team's two wins as ugly, and I think it's important to note that any win where you have one or two more turnovers than your opponent is virtually by definition going to be ugly.

shirtsleeve said:
Amen Nut!
Three stats to watch and see how this team or any will fare are the turnover ratio, third down efficiency (on both O and D ), and penalties/yards. Last year, we saw how the third one can be manipulated by the league to greatly alter the outcome of many games, especially in the playoffs. But the first and second ones are largely controlled by the team. So far this year we look much better in areas 2O and 3, but need work in areas 1 and 2D.

Welcome back, SS. Love the avatar.

Our DBs MUST get their heads out of their BHs, and start jumping in between the WRs and the footballs; Eugene Wilson, especially. Right now, he looks tentative, slow to react, technically incompetant, and completely lacking in confidence and aggressiveness. A useless pile of diddly-poo. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong Sunday night.

shirtsleeve said:
Amen Nut!

Welcome back guy! I thought that you had been abducted by cheerleaders.

And, yes we are -3 instead of -2. I think with the players that we now have that stat will start turning around.

Last year we were lacking playmakers on D for just about all of the year.

If we have an achilles heel. You guys have brought it up. Forcing
turnovers on defense, and 3rd down pct. I have no doubt that
the defense can stop anybody's running game. Pats are going to
get two great tests in the coming weeks. At Cincy next week. They've
got a bunch of big wr's who put up some great numbers against
Pats in 04. Game where Palmer got hurt and Kitna did well. That
Monday night game last year against Indy was frustrating to watch.
They converted 3rd down after 3rd down. A lot of those conversions
were by Edge James. And, he's gone. Our answers to those questions
might be coming sooner than we thought.

Fumbles need to be reduced, especially by Brady. And the INTs...Brady's fault as well. The two INTs were simply bad decisions by Brady not a great INT by the defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back