Welcome to PatsFans.com

Giuliani Has Connection with Accused Priest

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Jul 22, 2007.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is there any end to the creepy connections of this Kinky Catholic Crusader? The longer he's in this race, the more we fink out about him. When you enter the fray, your life is like an onion. All the wierd stuff you thought you had buried gets dug up for all the world to see. This guy, in particular, has a lot of skeletons in the closet (pun intended).

This one particularly interesting because of the local connection:

Monsignor Placa, who while an active priest arranged the annulment of Mr. Giuliani’s first marriage, baptized his two children and officiated at the funeral of his mother, is a childhood friend of Mr. Giuliani and they both attended Manhattanville College.

He was stripped of his duties as a priest, but not defrocked, after Newsday, a Long Island newspaper, published a story in 2002 about young men who alleged that Monsignor Placa abused them in the 1970s. He has been on administrative leave since and has worked for Mr. Giuliani for the past five years.

Catholic activists who are fighting the church over the clergy sex abuse issue say Mr. Giuliani’s association with the monsignor raises serious questions about the former New York mayor’s candidacy.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20070722/NEWS/707220489/1116/NEWSREWIND
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

HUH? I completely agree, and have stated, that Giuliani's personal life will be what makes or breaks him, but this is ridiculous. He's known the guy since college, had his kids baptized by the man, and now he's guilty of soemthing becuase of the priests personal misdeeds? That's ridiculous.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

James Carville:
    I have never liked this guy but he was honest about this one, a few weeks ago he was on Fox and was asked why he never ran for public office, his reply was "I've got to much baggage in my past" then he gave his "Deliverance Grin"

Why the hell do some of these power hungry morons run for the highest office in the country when they know their lives are going to picked apart for the world to see, are they so in love with themselves that they think the public won't care, this guy should have stayed right where he was he had it made.

I think a democrat is going to win I hope they will take Terrorism seriously, we will be hit again, will a democrat who thinks debates about sex is important be able to handle another 9/11?
    :bricks:
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

Let me add that the reason why most religious groups piss on Giuliani, is because he is pro-choice, and pro-gay rights.
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Guilt by association. I know it's not always right or fair, but in American politics it is a major factor. If this were an isolated incident, I, as a voter, would have to overlook it as an oddity, but this is part of a mounting supply of fodder as elections go. He already had too much baggage, and here's another piece of luggage on his back...not good for him.

And BTW, that's what you get for hanging around with priests....this guy was obviously deeply connected with the pedofiles through his "ministry" as a counsellor for these monsters. Rudi knew what he was doing, so the more I think about it, the more the term "guilt by association" applies to the jackass.
  6. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

What is ridiculous? That we should not hold Giuliani accountable for hiring a pedophile? Did Giuliani ask him why he was leaving the priesthood, yea, just got bored of serving the Lord and looking for a new gig, got any openings? Hey, friendships go a long way with me, but I would draw the line well before hiring a pedophile.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You leftie BIGOT! Don't you know that if you call a pedofile priest a pervert, you are making a blanket statement on all priests and Catholics? How DARE you!
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

Rudi knew what he was doing? Say what? Are you implying that Rudi knew this guy was molesting kids?
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

The guy is a priest. Hello? Do you guys know any priests? Have you ever had a friendly relationship with one? Are you at all religious? You take a priest at his word, and until the last few years, never looked at priests as possible pedophiles first, servants of God second. Gimme a break. How the fukc would you know that someone is a pedophile? My brother could be a pedophile for all I know, so could yours. I know though, trash religion, and anyone associated with it, in all ways possible. Gotcha.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Let's see....
    He "counselled" pedofile priests - that means he was working for the HRCC, which, as an organization, enabled and protected these animals. I remember my father and grandfather always giving these freaks the cold shoulder. My grandfathers thought they were "wierdos". My father never let me go on church bus trips or stay at the diocese summer camp. I never knew why, but he did. You apparently didn't need to be a brain surgeon to know that most of these guys weren't quite right and couldn't be trusted. I'm forever grateful to the men in my family because it turned out that my parish priest - the one who ran the street hockey league and went on the bus trips to Hampton Beach was a perv who was "re-assigned" when the accusations came out.

I don't think all priests were pervs, but a lot of them that weren't knew about it or protected them. The church itself was complicit and went out of their way to hide these animals. If Rudi can't put 2 and 2 together regarding Placa, then he doesn't deserve to be the POTUS.
  11. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Wow, such support for your candidate? First, Monsignor Placa was stripped of his duties as a Priest in 2002 after a newspaper story accusing him of abusing young men in the 70's. The Catholic Church does not take this kind of action unless there is substantial evidence. I know, innocent until proven guilty. Although, sometimes the truth just isn't formalized (see O.J.). Secondly, I'm a Catholic who takes my religion seriously. I look to a priest as God's servant and have faith in them unless a situation arises. My youngest daughter was baptised a few years back by a priest whom I felt was a good man. Who's sermons were delivered with great wisdom and often made me reflect on responsibilities. Then one day he was gone. Accused of misappropriations with a young man from years earlier. I felt sorry for my daughter and shame for the priest. I still look at priests a God's servants, I don't trash religion, I don't know when someone is a pedophile, but would have great concerns over one that is accused. Now, if you want to continue to trash me and defend Giuliani, go for it. Gotcha my asss.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

Such support for "my" candidate? Why, is he even a nominee yet? NOPE. I just find the guilt by association crap, and the backhanded slap at religion pathetic is all. That one man is a loser should not make someone who knows him one too. I've gone to catholic schools for pretty much my entire life. That some bad apples could render all priests pedophiles is ridiculous, as is the assertation that Giuliani is guilty of something because a priest he's known for decades may have done something reprehensible. Oh, and please don't think that I'm some church appologist, as I don't go, and I'm thoroughly pissed that Bernard Law is not rotting in jail somewhere. I just think that guilt by association is ridiculously moronic. Some people have judged me by some of the friendships I maintain, and I've always found that to be ignorant. What's funny is most of the people who biitch at the all muslims are terrorists crowd, don't have a problem implying that all priests are pedophiles.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

So let me get this straight. Anyone who cousels X should be able to certify that someone is X. Furthermore, priests are freaks since your family steered you away when you were a kid, BUT, you don't think that all priests are pervs. Ok. Switch noun Y with priests, and let's see how this sounds.

Rudi G knew a gay man for 30 years. The gay man was his kids godfather, and it ends up that some kids accused this person of being a pedophile. Rudi therefore is to blame since he counseled gay men before, for GLAD, which is an organization that enables these animals, and should have known that he was a pedophile. Afterall, when I was a kid, my family steered me away from those "freaks", since they knew they were all "wierdos". Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think all gays are pedophiles, but....

Now insert any other noun, and tell me how that sounds.
  14. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Great, you stand behind Giuliani in hiring a friend that is strongly considered a pedophile. You may call it guilt by association, I would refer to it as cronyism in the Bush order. Which speaks volumes when it comes to appointments. If in fact, this priest is guilty, do you think he just turned over a new leaf and stopped cold turkey? Tomorrow's headlines; 'I Had No Idea'. Giuliani is guilty of bad choices, which I believe is what prompted this thread.
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Nice try on the diversion.
    You know it and I know it.
    Stop kidding yourself...I'm sorry that you can't get past this priest problem. I know how hard it has been for Catholics and parishes. I have seen many hearts broken by the revelation that preists are one of the most dangerous groups of people for children to be alone with. It sucks. Most people were raised to believe that this whole nightmare was impossible, the "Vickar of Christ", "God's representative on earth", the "infallibility of the Pope"...all that stuff.

It's called playing the odds when you're a parent. There's enough people that are more deserving of trust. By the collective bahavior of priests, bishops, cardinals and popes, that is, committing the crimes in a much greater proportion than society as a whole, as well as the institutional cover-up of these crimes, and the perpetuation of these crimes by tacit approval of their peers who failed to turn these criminals in to the police, and the relocation of these priests from one parish to another. Ever wonder why this priest left all of a sudden and a new guy came in without explaination? This is called a coverup, and thanks to the Boston Globe for exposing this nightmare.

Point is, as a parent, you have to make judgement calls in your life with or without "legal" evidence. You have to play the odds with the information you have. You don't like a vibe you get from your daughter's friend's parent, sorry, you can't go over there for a sleepover. Your brother in law gives you the creeps, sorry, can't go on vacation to the beach for a week. You make up excuses or schedule something else to avoid exposing your kid from all danger when they're little. It has nothing to do with being gay. Gay people don't commit rape more than straight people. Priests, for whatever reason, commit rape more than straight people or gay people. At least they used to. Now, even the most decent priest can't be left alone with a kid. Too bad.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

I've said that I think it's ridiculous to crucify RG for crimes that may have been comitted by someone else. The man in question has been accused by a single individual of abuse. Where it is obviously possible that he did the deed, it has not been proven. I guess in this country innocent until proven guilty means nothing.
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

None of that is untrue...in the court of law. This has nothing to do with the courts, other than the court of public opinion and my personal court, both of which can be harsher than the court of law...And I don't mean Cardinal Law. :mad:
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

Diversion? What did I say that is innaccurate? As a parent you are entitled to raise your children in any way you deem proper. Switch the charactors in question, and tell me what the difference is?

BTW, I have in no way excused any acts by priests who've molested kids, or the church for covering such molestations up. REMEMBER, I don't go to church. I've always viewed the church with a grain of salt. I think these people, especially Bernard Law, should be in jail. That some priests were evil beyond comprehension does not make all priests "freaks". I judge individuals, which is why I am friends with people that most people wouldn't associate with.

Change the particulars. If someone thinks that all gay people are....or all black people are...or all muslims are....or all Jews are....or all hispanics are....or all 5'8 Italians are....how is that different? Had I said that blue people are X% more likely to rob you, and my parents have always been weary of Blue people, so I've taught my kids to stay away from blue people. Cuz, as a parent, you have to make judgement calls. What do you think people would say to me? Of course, when you say that about a priest, it's doesn't recieve the same scrutiny that other nouns do.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +305 / 4 / -2

Cardinal Law should be in jail.
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

How do priests not know what's going on in their parish and diocese? How do the bishops not know? You really believe that this is not a very tight group that has full knowledge about what was going on? What about Rudi's buddy? What - he was left out of the loop? He didn't know anything about what was going on? Surely you're just conducting an exercise in symantics. I get your point. This group and their crime syndicate is very different from the perception of other groups. The church has been a crime mob, involved in cover-ups, obstruction of justice, aiding and abetting felons, racketeering, intimidation of witnesses, ...the list goes on. For you to draw a parallel to other groups of largely decent groups of people like Jews, blacks, gays...is ridiculous! It's apples and inner tubes. A better comparison would be to substitute the Crips, the Bloods, the Winter Hill Gang, the Hell's Angels or Aryan Nation. And yes, I wouldn't associate with any of these lowlifes, either.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007