Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gitmo detainee acquitted of all but 1 charge in NY

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Nov 17, 2010.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 13 / -7

Gitmo detainee acquitted of all but 1 charge in NY - Yahoo! News

I am sure this coward will be hiding in protective custody.
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Testimony was excluded. This was predictable the administration is totally incompetent.

Look at the farce with the Airport security the scanners present a health risk they are feeling up nuns but the are being pressed to not scan or pad down muslims in their tents. What a joke
  3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Ghailani verdict could signal an end to civilian terror trials - CSMonitor.com
    >>>Ghailani had admitted during US government interrogations that he purchased the TNT, the truck,
    and other components used for the bombing. But he denied that he knew in advance of the bomb plot. <<<<<

What did he think it was going to be used for?????

>>>>>The prosecution’s case was undercut somewhat when US District Judge Lewis Kaplan ruled before the trial
    that the government could not call a potential witness from Tanzania because they had learned of the
    witness during harsh interrogation of Ghailani.

The judge ruled that because the information had been obtained under
    coercive questioning it could not be used by the government to advance its criminal case.<<<<<<<<

Does someone want to ask Eric Holder or the President if justice was served here????
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -7

Sounds about right. Trying terror suspects in federal court has always been the correct call.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

I'd still prefer our gov't use the "Mossad Method" when dealing with terrorists. Don't take them prisoner, just get rid of them the same way Mossad does in the dark of night.

No has to know...I surely don't care. Just keep my country safe from these scum-bags.
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Hes going to do at least 20 years, my guess is more like 30-40. He was arrested nine years ago, evidence has probably been lost, witness have died or their memories have faded. If he had been tried sooner he would most likely would have been convicted on more charges. That being said this guy isn't going anywhere but underground for most of the rest of his life.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 5 / -2

How's he going to do 30-40 if he can do a max 20? This guy will do a max 11 if I'm reading things correctly (which I may not be), since he's likely to have the last 9 years applied to his sentencing.

Edit: Ok, it's 20 years to life in prison. I thought I read it as 20 years maximum sentence. My guess is he gets a shot at parole for sure. The only charge that stuck was destroying gubmit property. Who's going to get life for that? I'd be shocked if he got life without parole. The 9 years in custody will be applied as time served.

This guy, according to what I've read and heard, admitted to buying the explosives used in the bombings. He said he didn't know that they would be used to do this. Sorry, but what did he think they were going to be used for, to blow up tree stumps or something? This guy should fry. How many people died, 200 or so? This isn't an example of a guy who was falsely arrested. This is a guy who admitted to his involvement in the attack. The guy should fry.
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -7

Because the government can hold him indefinitely if they so feel, which is what would have happened had he been acquitted of all charges.

You can thank Bush and Cheney's use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" (i.e. torture) for the result.
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

20 years is the Minimum sentance
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

We can thank the idiot Holder for putting a trial of an enemy conbatant in a civilian court instead of using the military tribunal in GOTMO, this murderer was supposed to be the easiest case to try in a civilian court epic fail by the administration, other killers will get away if this stupidity continues.
  11. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -7

Nice try, bud. The evidence would have been excluded even were it being adjudicated before a military tribunal, ostensibly leading to the same result.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

Why would that be?

Proof to support that assertation?

The moron Holder thought he could try this case successfully in civilian court we see how that turned out epic fail.

Killers will be turned loose to kill again to try and make a cheap political point.

Meanwhile CAIR is telling Muslim women in Hajibs (sp?) that they don't have to submit to the imaging of frisking by the TSA.

We are checking nuns but not muslim women the administration is insane.
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm wondering, if 20 to life is an 'epic fail' for the prosecution what would an acquittal be? How does one define a successful prosecution under those terms? Death by slow castration?

Charlie Manson's original sentence of death was commuted to 20 to life 38 years ago, who expects this vermin today to do better with the parole board?
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +154 / 7 / -13

For killing 200+ people? getting convicted only for destroying government property. Yes huge failure Life would be the minimum, execution preferable.
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +478 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Because evidence obtained through torture is inadmissable in a military tribunal also, that's why.

Congressman King said in his statement the case "was doomed from the beginning" because of the judge's decision. It should be noted that King (and some other critics) declined to point out that the use of evidence obtained through torture is also prohibited in military tribunals.

Tom Malinowski, Washington director for Human Rights Watch, similarly said, "The original sin here is torture," the Washington Post reports. "It would have haunted a military trial, too, with likely the same result. The only difference is that in this courtroom, Ghailani was convicted with legitimacy and finality."

Ghailani Verdict: Where To Go from Here? - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

CAIR can tell Muslim women anything they want. What does TSA say about it? There are groups of people here who are telling all of us that we don't have to submit to the imaging of frisking either and are trying to organize a protest and are asking travelers to refuse both scan or pat down on a particular day....how is that different than what CAIR is telling Muslims?
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -7

1.) It would be because the rules that govern exclusion of evidence obtained through torture are basically the same in a military tribunal as they are in a court of law. My proof is the relevant rule in the Army Field Manual.

2.) I'm pretty sure the administration is not setting the screening policies of the TSA.
  17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

If he gets 20 to life he's NEVER getting out, just like Danny said. They'll just keep denying him parole.
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 5 / -2

Manson was originally sentenced to death. His sentence was only changed because the death penalty was axed in California. To assume that a man convicted of one count of conspiracy for destroying public property, would be held to the same standard as a man who was guilty on all 27 counts, including murder, is a tremendous reach. Especially in today's world of perpetrator victimization. I hope you guys are right, and I'm wrong though.