PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Git yer Irish pride on; Brady is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good lord, this thread gives me a headache. Is anybody else on this thread actually FROM IRELAND??

I am (only moved to the US last year) and I can tell you that Ireland has a huge drinking problem (like many other countries). To say the Irish drink is not a racist stereotype. Heck, a lot of Irish people are proud of it.

Anyway, for the person who tried it earlier... it's "pog mo thoin" (plus various fadas, or accents) not "pogue mahone".

Have to say I'm disappointed I never bumped in to Tommy boy in Ireland. I just know it would have ended with me taking him to a Munster game and explaining how Murphy's and Beamish are far superior to Guinness. It would have been beautiful.

Less than New Hampshire, you say? Any comparative analysis on the subject that leaves out Russia is, shall we say, wanting.

But can it be considered "drinking" if you never actually stop drinking? I mean, I basically only drink once a year. But it's a long session.

Good lord, this thread gives me a headache. Is anybody else on this thread actually FROM IRELAND??

I am (only moved to the US last year) and I can tell you that Ireland has a huge drinking problem (like many other countries). To say the Irish drink is not a racist stereotype. Heck, a lot of Irish people are proud of it.

Anyway, for the person who tried it earlier... it's "pog mo thoin" (plus various fadas, or accents) not "pogue mahone".

Have to say I'm disappointed I never bumped in to Tommy boy in Ireland. I just know it would have ended with me taking him to a Munster game and explaining how Murphy's and Beamish are far superior to Guinness. It would have been beautiful.

How long before you can tell the difference between Murphy's and Beamish?

But can it be considered "drinking" if you never actually stop drinking? I mean, I basically only drink once a year. But it's a long session.

You're better than I am. When I drink during the week, I don't consider it drinking at all. I consider it "getting my liver ready for the weekend".

How long before you can tell the difference between Murphy's and Beamish?

Ah! 'Tis a subtle difference. One that you must spend time discerning, young padawan. Generally, Murphy's is a little smokier. I'm a Murphy's man.

But Beamish is usually cheaper, so that's a significant difference! They're both excellent stouts, though. As is O'Haras.

Guinness is the only one of the big 3 to not have won an international brewing award, as far as I know. Anyway, it's about as Irish as Cromwell these days. Owned by a British company, brewed in Britain.

Ah! 'Tis a subtle difference. One that you must spend time discerning, young padawan. Generally, Murphy's is a little smokier. I'm a Murphy's man.

But Beamish is usually cheaper, so that's a significant difference! They're both excellent stouts, though. As is O'Haras.

Guinness is the only one of the big 3 to not have won an international brewing award, as far as I know. Anyway, it's about as Irish as Cromwell these days. Owned by a British company, brewed in Britain.

Do you guys drink Newcastle over there? How do you like that?

Do you guys drink Newcastle over there? How do you like that?
Not a big fan of Newcastle. But that could be b/c I hate their soccer team too.

I know it's a brown ale, and different to others, but when it comes to commercial ale I stick to Kilkenny or Fraoch (a Scottish ale brewed from heather - it's astonishing).

Well, Heineken now owns the other two, is why I'm asking.

My right as an Irish-American to object to racist stereotypes about the Irish and people of Irish descent supercedes your right as an Englishman to enjoy racial/ethnic stereotypes about the Irish.

I would imagine the Irish you know laugh about it because they know it's not true. Using it in a hateful way is when you talk about the stereotype as if you believe it to be true.

No offense but you probably know very little about Irish people. Irish Americans are so removed from the people of Ireland these days...this is why there is a certain level of resentment toward Americans that go over to Ireland.

This is obvious from how offended you are by those "stereotypes" (which is a typical reaction we see today in American culture).

It's a joke. Nobody takes it seriously. The Irish people I know promote it before going out on a Friday night and getting completely drunk out of their heads with me!

They know it's not true eh? This despite the fact that Ireland consumes the third highest amount of alcohol per capita in the world?

UnusualMaps.com

What other 'truths' do you have for us?

That's not a map of the population who are alcoholics. France consumes more per capita alcohol than any nation, but everybody knows alcoholics in France are not very common.

What other truths? How about this map Total crimes statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Did you know that your country is the most criminal in all of Europe and second most in the whole world? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Last edited:
Well, Heineken now owns the other two, is why I'm asking.

The Heineken buy-out was a major bone of contention with my Dad. He won't drink Murphy's as a result. I haven't been back to Ireland since then, so I'm not really sure if it'll have a major effect. I really hope they continue to produce Beamish as is. They are 2 distinct stouts - in culture as well as taste.

This ain't locked yet? Must be the luck of the Irish!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back