Welcome to PatsFans.com

Girls arrested in plot to kill Energizer Bunny, et al (really)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Pujo, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This is insane, it's beyond over-reacting. I expect the charges will be thrown out on free speech grounds, hopefully sooner than later.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/26/school.conspiracy.ap/index.html

2. taltos

taltos Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kids should invest in a shredder. Although I am a proud Conservative, some of this stuff seems to be going overboard. Sick of stories about kids being investigated because of composition assignments and because of random notes. Keep an eye on kids that you have a reasonable reason to suspect, but don't ruin their future with crap like this. Paul

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

This is why they don't ignore stuff like that anymore.

[​IMG]

1999: Students 'kill dozens' at Denver school

A shooting spree by two American high school students is feared to have left up to 25 people dead and injured at least 15 others.
    The students, wearing balaclavas and trench coats, rampaged through Columbine High School in Denver, Colorado, firing automatic weapons and throwing homemade bombs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/20/newsid_2489000/2489639.stm

4. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Geez, you're so smart, I'd never heard of that before ;)

They still have to find a line between actual threats and just teenagers saying nonsense.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  5. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Bingo! It's a VERY scary thing. I was in high school just a few years ago (Graduated 2005) ... we went into Code Red when someone robbed a bank right down the street from us, and the polcie caught him right up the driveway towards our school. I am personally glad they are taking this seriously - you shouldnt conspire to kill people, jokeing or not. That is just not something you joke about.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

Don't get me wrong, I think alot of things in this country are taken too far. I just think issues like these can't be taken lightly. Imagine if you were one of the people on the list, would you want people to ignore it? I wouldn't.

Layne said he learned about the list Tuesday when a "young man came in with his grandmother and said his name was on the list."

No club or group was involved, said Layne, who described the girls as friends. The school has more than 600 students.

Sophomore Lakyn Ledford stayed home Thursday after learning that student-athletes were on the list.

"I was very scared. My friends were scared. That's a scary thing. It can really happen," she told WTVC-TV.

7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um, threatening to kill or talking about killing someone is not constitutionally protected free speech. And with all due respect, your subject title is rather misleading (probably done purposefully to help support your point). You say they talked about killing "Energizer Bunny, et al." Well that "et al" is a couple hundred real life students and teachers.

The problem with people like you is when Columbine happens, you're the first to say "Why did everyone ignore all the warning signs from Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold...?!? Why did everyone ignore them when they said they planned to shoot up the school...?!?" But then when a hit list or other such threat is discovered in the trash, you deride it as "insane" and "over-reacting" when the authorities get involved.

8. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There's a HUGE difference between this and Columbine... these girls didn't have guns, and including the Energizer Bunny on the list certainly makes it seem like they were joking. But nah, they deserve to get locked up for a few years, the more people in jail the better.

9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're operating with 20/20 hindsight. You know they didn't have guns because the authorities went and performed due diligence and all the attention brought to the case. Do I think they should go to jail for the rest of their lives...? No. But I have no problem with the authorities doing a little checking into things and scaring the hell out of whomever wrote the list by pressing charges we all know are going to get plea bargained down to community service.

I wish someone acted "insane" and "over-reacting" in Columbine before that tragedy. Then people like you wouldn't wonder why no one did anything despite all the warning signs.

10. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I do think what they did constitutes probable cause for a search, but once they found the threats weren't credible, that should have been it.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

If the Police ignored the "Bunny Threat" and the little darlings got some guns and killed a few Teachers all the Loonies would be screaming "WHERE WERE THE POLICE, THEY WERE WARNED.

In this day and age when our young people are getting a steady diet of "Violence" and other "Garbage" thrown at them by the SCUMBAGS in the so called "Entertainment" industry, and when kids are Exposed to that Slimey F-cking Diarrhea SLOP Hip Hop Crap that Morons call music about killing Cops and B!tches (their women) after being brainwashed by this sh!t if one of todays young people say they are going to do some killing they should f-cking well be watched and watched good, their rooms at home and their lockers in school should be turned upside down, they should be strip searched and F-ck Their Civil Liberties when they made the threat they lost their "Liberal Sh!t Rights".
    If these little bastards want to dance they have to pay the fiddler, the Hollywood Wife Swapper Pigs have a lot to do with this and so does "Daddy Diddly Dum Dum" and his f-cking Rap Crap.

Remember Columbine? I bet the parents of the dead kids remember it.

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

There is more than one way to assess a terror threat, and a whole lot of ground in the middle.. maybe they should have spent some time assessing their credibility, intent, plan and weapons there is a huge difference between thought and action, and when we do not operate within the confines of the constitution then we are no better than the terrorists.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

Now that you mention it, Pujo, weren't you the one who was saying, just the other day, that Americans don't care about safety or something? That we wait till something bad happens before we try to correct it? That was you wasn't it?

14. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yup, and this is another example of that (overreacting caused by Columbine).

But like I also said, proper vigilance would have been to obtain a search warrant (what the girls wrote qualifies as probable cause), check out whether the threats are credible, and then drop the investigation when it became obvious that it wasn't.

We can't get it right, either we ignore an issue or we overdo it.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

You think this is another example of what? Reacting after the fact? I'm confused. So you feel that this is wrong, and an attack on free speech, yet, the other day, you said we're not safe minded enough. So then if the cops had done this before columbine, and prevented a massacre, wouldn't you then be criticizing it over free speech? I've read where columbine was orginally planned to be a bombing. So then would the means to weaponry be necessary to decide intent? What if the means of murder was arson? Couldn't these girls set fire to a home or something? Obviously that might be an extreme, but it is certainly possible. Plus, prior to columbine, thinking that students would kill 25 people at their school would have been considered extreme too. I don't think the authorities are over reaching here. Just like you approve of the rape scene in that movie as a means of educating people on the severity of child rape, wouldn't the letter of the law here do the same for students?

16. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Let's talk specifics: before Columbine, nobody thought about school security.

After Columbine, young kids are getting expelled for pointing their fingers at each other and saying "Bang! Bang!" on the playground (Dry Creek Elementary School).

That's very reactionary. We need to find a happier middle.

It was the same with terrorism. Before 9/11, nobody gave it a second thought (and I don't just mean the administration, I mean people in general, law enforcement, etc). Since then they've overreacted, rounded up masses of people, and trampled on rights.

Again, we need a more even keeled approach.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  17. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The problem is when a terrorist attack or a schoolyard shooting happens (and both of those are going to happen again sooner or later) everyone goes around looking for people to blame. Do you want to be the one saying "Well, yeah, I heard that kid say he was going to kill that other kid, but I didn't think he actually meant it." Heck just last week some kid stabbed another kid to death in Lincoln-Sudbury (not exactly an urban, inner-city atmosphere) and now you have the regular parent's groups and such wondering how all the administrators and teachers missed the warning signs, are my kids safe, etc, etc...

On a larger scale, do you want your guy to be President when 5,000 Americans are killed explaining why the FBI was on the trail of Sheikh Mullah Omar al bin Saddam al bin Muhammed but they didn't have his phones tapped and they didn't have a warrant to arrest him...?

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Of course not, and what you're saying is valid. But, we'll never completely eliminate crime and terrorism, so it doesn't seem like a good idea to trample on people's rights in the attem[t. How far is too far? I often say that government cameras in every home and GPS tracking of every person would reduce crime, but are you willing to do that?

19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

nonsense... the intelligence was adequate before 9/11 to stop it, and intercepts prove that... the implementation was the problem, not the resources... blame the agencies for being lazy and ignoring warnings, not the fact that they didn't have enough access into american families' lives... ridiculous...

20. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

In today's day and age, I could go to my brother's middle school and find five or six MIDDLE SCHOOLER's selling drugs.

Gun's are not much harder.