PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gil Santos has retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the black out days and when I had to work on Sundays he was always music to my ears...

Great voice, great fan.. he will be missed.

Hopefully they will find someone with as equally great "pipes" to replace him..

And what a shame that he had to sign off after the massive turd this team laid before him.

Thanks for the memories Gil. You'll be missed.

Best voice and best calls of the action ever. I grew up in Philadelphia listening to the legendary John Facenda call Eagles games and thought there would never be anyone like him, but Gil Santos is right there with the all-time greats.

Audio Memory - Super Bowl XXXVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2bL5gCtSC0

His great voice and dignified approach to announcing makes it Very Hard to listen to other teams' radio calls.

Thanks, Gil. I certainly appreciate how you worked your craft.

Thanks for all the great memories Gil. Thanks too for always believing in the Patriots. I always liked how even when the Pats were doing poorly, he and Gino told it "like it is" but in a gentle, gentlemanly manner. We'll all miss you!

Best voice and best calls of the action ever. I grew up in Philadelphia listening to the legendary John Facenda call Eagles games and thought there would never be anyone like him, but Gil Santos is right there with the all-time greats.

Audio Memory - Super Bowl XXXVI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2bL5gCtSC0

Thank you so much for this. I was at that SB and listened to Gil and Gino call the game on the little radio they put on my seat.

They are permanently part of my SB experience at that game and the Eagles SB.

Some Pats fans lamented that he lost something on his game call in recent years but as a fan who heard him call games earlier in his career and often heard the highlights on NFL Films, I just loved his pipes. I will miss him.

I vote John Rooke for Santos' vacated slot. He's been The Patriots stadium announcer for what?.... 25, 26, or more years at this point?

I mean... boy, talk about a guy who's put in his time and paid his dues.
He's also extremely knowledgeable. He's been on ESPN, Boston radio, and has hosted his own show on Patriots.com for a very very long time.

Aside from being the stadium voice of The New England Patriots, he's also the man for The Providence Friars Basketball Team at The Dunk. Oh, and he travels for away games and does radio for them.
And if that's not a kick ass resume fer ya, he actually travels across the country, picking up announcer gigs here and there for Division 1 College Football, mostly West Virginia, but it's a long list ta boot.

I don't know anyone else who's as qualified to step into Gil Santos' boots more than John Rooke is.

If you'd like to learn more, go to John.Rooke on Facebook. (and nobody nudged me over here to do this. I'm a Rooke FAN. The guy is great and his getting this gig would be like the best thing that's ever happened to him. And I don't know anybody in The Patriots' organization who DESERVES a well-EARNED opportunity than John Rooke does.
I mean, sometimes it'd be nice to see life work right and see people accurately rewarded for their hard work & dedication.

And if you look up dedication along with The New England Patriots, Rooke's picture comes up in the dictionary.

Signed,
Pewsterbaby (a.k.a. Brooklyn Matt)

Sad day indeed for Pats nation. As an aspiring broadcast journalist and obsessive sports fan, I’ve always admired Gil. I think he has one of the best voices in sports. And ever since I’ve been a fan, I’ve tried to listen to every game with the radio on and the TV on mute. He deserved a better fate than his final game.

I've listened to the audio broadcast multiple times. In the case the Patriots were not aware, the impending retirement could have brought some emotional juice to the team.

Loved Gil when I used to listen to him. Miss the days when the TV and the radio used to be in sync so we could turn the volume off on the TV and turn on the radio and listen to him.

Not hearing Geno and Gil is what I missed most when I was away from New England for three winters back in the early 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back