PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gil Brandt: Aaron Dobson has some special stuff about him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In his column about second year players who he thinks will make big steps in his second year, Gil Brandt selects Dobson as one of them. Here is what he said:

Dobson, who led a host of Patriots rookie receivers with 519 yards in 2013, improved greatly before a foot injury put a damper on the end of his season, ultimately leading to surgery in March. The former second-round pick has the quickness to beat press coverage and an ability to make some spectacular catches, despite having relatively small hands. He can make adjustments on the ball and is a good blocker for a receiver. He's got some special stuff about him.

Projection for 2014: 75 catches, 1,100 yards, seven touchdowns.

Kenny Stills, Dee Milliner among players set for second-year step - NFL.com

that's nice to hear.......i hope he's right

It's a word used often, but it definitely described Dobson's rookie year most accurately - promising. Looking forward to a big step forward in year two.

"Small hands" yeah unfortunately I have that problem too :(

"Small hands" yeah unfortunately I have that problem too :(

I'll see if I can link the photo, but when someone posted an image of DeSean flashing "gang signs" the only thing I could think was "Holy sheeit that man has huuuge fingers".

EDIT: After looking at photos of him, I have to say that DeSean just appears to have average sized hands.

If I were to pick any Patriot to make the 2nd year leap, it would be Jamie Collins.

His play at the end of last season looked like he could be an elite Defender. Dobson never looked like an elite offensive weapon.

Honestly the only thing "special" about Dobson last year was him being the only deep threat in a decimated offense that had Brady throwing the ball. I didn't see anything "special" about him as a player. I do think he can have a good career, and maybe over 1,000 yards this season.... but "special" is a special word that shouldn't be thrown around like it's nothing. At best he looks like a fringe-Pro Bowler....at best. "Special" WR's are guys like Megatron, Julio Jones, Randy Moss, TO, Fitzgerald, etc...... Dobson isn't special. He'll be part of the system and hopefully he can hold on to some passes next year, but he doesn't look like a WR that can dominate and take over a game.

Between the return of the injured players and the development of the second year player's the Patriots could be a much improved team next season. If Collins and Dobson and Boyce can make significant steps in 2014 they are going to be in really really good shape.

Between the return of the injured players and the development of the second year player's the Patriots could be a much improved team next season. If Collins and Dobson and Boyce can make significant steps in 2014 they are going to be in really really good shape.

People say that every year.... but every year there are a bunch of new injuries.

Hopefully we don't get hit with the Injury bug this year, and Wilfork, Mayo, Gronk haven't lost a step from their injuries and extended time off the field.

That's a lot to ask for though.

Aaron Dobson was wide open a lot, it seemingly didn't matter who was the corner he got open. Put him on Revis island during TC and that should help him improve even more.

He might have had a few drops last year (Jets game mainly) but how many 3rd or 4th down conversions did he make? That showed that TB has confidence in him and he can be a reliable target.

Indeed.

That is why we must focus on depth, especially at DE, LB and TE. The alternative of hoping that we don't get hit with an injury bug seems somewhat insufficient.

People say that every year.... but every year there are a bunch of new injuries.

Hopefully we don't get hit with the Injury bug this year, and Wilfork, Mayo, Gronk haven't lost a step from their injuries and extended time off the field.

If I were to pick any Patriot to make the 2nd year leap, it would be Jamie Collins.

His play at the end of last season looked like he could be an elite Defender. Dobson never looked like an elite offensive weapon.

Honestly the only thing "special" about Dobson last year was him being the only deep threat in a decimated offense that had Brady throwing the ball. I didn't see anything "special" about him as a player. I do think he can have a good career, and maybe over 1,000 yards this season.... but "special" is a special word that shouldn't be thrown around like it's nothing. At best he looks like a fringe-Pro Bowler....at best. "Special" WR's are guys like Megatron, Julio Jones, Randy Moss, TO, Fitzgerald, etc...... Dobson isn't special. He'll be part of the system and hopefully he can hold on to some passes next year, but he doesn't look like a WR that can dominate and take over a game.

The JUMP (or FALL) that guys make from year 1 to year 2 and even 3 can't really be predicted so well. Not sure I share your certitude about what Dobson's ceiling is. (actually, was being polite. .... I am certain I DON'T SHARE your certainty. Call me a Homer-optimist, but he COULD BE MORE than a fringe-ProBowler [at least for a year], especially w/ TB on the other end of the pass. But could equally break his other foot and spend the year on IR.... so who knows. )

Last edited:

Mayo tore his pectoral muscle, I doubt that will make him slower. I can't imagine how he'd lose a step.

Gronk and especially Wilfork are different stories.

IMO Dobson will have a good year, if we can revert to the previous success of tight ends...

Basically, it doesn't take much to be special among Pats WRs these days.

T.O. Rookie numbers 16 games played, 35 catches 520 yards, 14.9 /catch
Fitzgerald rookie numbers 16 games played 58 catches 780 yards, 13.4 /catch
Two special players that didn't light it up in their rookie years and are now strong HOF candidates. You may be premature in calling Dobson "not special". Let's give him another year before you define his career.

Last edited:
I will wait until I see Aaron Dobson on the actual playing field before I make any Bold predictions. Funny thing with all this Second year leap stuff, they are WR's in next Months Draft that are better than Dopson right now.

I will wait until I see Aaron Dobson on the actual playing field before I make any Bold predictions. Funny thing with all this Second year leap stuff, they are WR's in next Months Draft that are better than Dopson right now.

NFL teams should be lining up to employ you as a scout

T.O. Rookie numbers 16 games played, 35 catches 520 yards, 14.9 /catch
Fitzgerald rookie numbers 16 games played 58 catches 780 yards, 13.4 /catch
Two special players that didn't light it up in their rookie years and are now strong HOF candidates. You may be premature in calling Dobson "not special". Let's give him another year before you define his career.

New England Patriots wide receiver Aaron Dobson 81-yard TD reception - NFL Videos

I'm sure that didn't remind you of another former Marshall player. . . .

The whole Dropson thing is such a farce it isn't funny. You take away that Jets game that started his career and he had some of the surest hands on the team last year (granted not saying much with all the drops last year). He had half his drops for the season in that game.

The whole Dobson and his drops is a whole perception is greater than reality. He didn't have a drop problem last year. At least not nearly as much as other players on the team.

Wow, you are a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey