PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giants will come out full force and play their best game of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Pats haters , a giants victory will become the biggest underdog victory of all time .

Whatever makes them feel better. :rolleyes: In reality, it wouldnt even scratch the surface of greatest sports upsets.

I am just not sure why they'd care.

They can't improve their playoff position by beating New England and they don't get a bye week. I would think Coughlin would want to treat this week as a bye and rest his starters for Tampa.

Let's not forget that Coughlin might be coaching for his job and he is going to get more traction out of going deeper into the playoffs than winning a meaningless season finale.

I agree with you.....Coughlin keeps his job by winning a playoff game, not playing the Pats tough.

Disagree a bit. IMO Coughlin gets an extension if he wins 1 out of the next 2 games. If he beats the Pats that will be a big notch on his belt. With that in mind, I believe he will play hard for a half vs the Pats, see where he stands at halftime, and approach the 2nd half from there. If the game is already out of hand, he'll pack it in and push his chips onto TB. If he thinks he's got a legit shot to beat the Pats at halftime, he'll go full bore the rest of night.

I think what's being missed here is the fact that the giants could come in HYPER-MOTIVATED, totally focused and playing "their best game of the season," and they would STILL get crushed.

The Patriots are a TERRIBLE match-up for that team - confused, jittery QB play, a putrid secondary... Come on, people. Get real. We will KILL them.

The Patriots are a TERRIBLE match-up for that team - confused, jittery QB play, a putrid secondary... Come on, people. Get real. We will KILL them.

Yeah, the Patriots aren't a good matchup for the Giants. If Burress doesn't play (he shouldn't, he's banged up and they'll need him to have a prayer in Tampa), the Giants have no threats against the Patriots secondary. The Patriots can then put 8 guys in the box and hammer Jacobs all day long. On offense, the Giants can stop the run for the most part, but their secondary is weak. Sam Madison is too old, too slow to cover Moss and their safeties and linebackers won't be able to cover Welker or Watson (assuming he plays).

The Giants haven't played a complete game all year. They aren't a bad team, but they're not a good team, either. They won 10 games despite Eli Manning.

Last edited:
Tom Coughlin seems tempted to go for the win, even if it's a long shot, but if the game gets out of hand quickly, he'll surely rest banged-up starters Plaxico Burress, Brandon Jacobs and Gibril Wilson.

"We are in the playoffs and our seed doesn't change, and from that standpoint we have to do what is best for our team, but I also want our team to be as sharp as we possibly can be," Coughlin says, meandering his way around the subject.

New England has personal records at stake. Tom Brady has 48 touchdown passes, one short of Peyton Manning's NFL record. Randy Moss, with 21 TD receptions, is one short of Jerry Rice's single-season mark. They probably will stay in long enough to get the records and give New England a big enough lead. Then they'll depart.

Brady would just as soon that all the Giants' pass rushers sit out -- the Giants lead the league with 52 sacks.

"They can rush. They have some very experienced cover guys back there. It's a very veteran defense," he says. "I'll be lobbying for that. Coach Coughlin, if you're listening, definitely rest those guys."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflthisweek&prov=ap&type=lgns

Two Words:

Eli Manning

The best thing the Giants could do for themselves is go hard for the 1st half, and put in the backups for the second half.
This keeps the players in game mentality; and eliminates the recuperation time (usually a day or two).

The worst thing they can do is go all out for 60 minutes;
There's only two consequences:
1. They lose; or maybe win; a close, grueling, physical game which causes them to not be 100% physically for the playoffs
2. They get crushed; at which point they're 100% physically ready for the playoffs but now have taken themselves out of the game mentally (consiously or subconsiously) knowing they can't win the superbowl.

Last edited:
I think what's being missed here is the fact that the giants could come in HYPER-MOTIVATED, totally focused and playing "their best game of the season," and they would STILL get crushed.

The Giants are not a very good team. Look that their record and who've they've beaten.

Sun 9/9 at Dallas L 35-45
Sun 9/16 Green Bay L 13-35
Sun 9/23 at Washington W 24-17
Sun 9/30 Philadelphia W 16-3
Sun 10/7 NY Jets W 35-24
Mon 10/15 at Atlanta W 31-10
Sun 10/21 San Francisco W 33-15
Sun 10/28 at Miami W 13-10

bye
Sun 11/11 Dallas L 20-31
Sun 11/18 at Detroit W 16-10
Sun 11/25 Minnesota L 17-41
Sun 12/2 at Chicago W 21-16
Sun 12/9 at Philadelphia W 16-13

Sun 12/16 Washington L 10-22
Sun 12/23 at Buffalo W 38-21

Any time they face a remotely descent team, they lose. Pats will roll.

I'll expect a few things this sat

1- 16-0
2- Tom and Randy new record. It is time to seal the deal now.
3- No more interception from Tom
4-less tom and randy show. tom need to throw the ball to other WRs.
5- excellence performance on Pats D
6- pats needs to play better on 3rd and 4th Q.
is it too much to ask.?

I agree with the thread's subject line. As they should, as no season is significant if it was accomplished by rolling over any teams not willing to come equipped to the battle. The national spotlight on this game is motivation enough. The Giants don't need their fans' support. From recent interviews, the Giants' players appear ready for the challenge. This should be a great game to watch."

Why would they care if our season is significant? Their motivation should be on the playoffs.

A team should worry about itself, not its opponents. The Patriots will always do what is best for the team. If other people's interests are harmed or helped by this, it doesn't matter. The Giants will be looking out for their own interests. Since they don't have a bye week, this will probably mean resting some players.

Why would they care if our season is significant? Their motivation should be on the playoffs.

A team should worry about itself, not its opponents. The Patriots will always do what is best for the team. If other people's interests are harmed or helped by this, it doesn't matter. The Giants will be looking out for their own interests. Since they don't have a bye week, this will probably mean resting some players.

Does this city remind you something ?

"New york" , "New york "

Wake up people (bostonians) !

Last edited:
Sentence. Punctuation. Space. Next sentence.

Disagree a bit. IMO Coughlin gets an extension if he wins 1 out of the next 2 games. If he beats the Pats that will be a big notch on his belt. With that in mind, I believe he will play hard for a half vs the Pats, see where he stands at halftime, and approach the 2nd half from there. If the game is already out of hand, he'll pack it in and push his chips onto TB. If he thinks he's got a legit shot to beat the Pats at halftime, he'll go full bore the rest of night.
What crap. It is the playoffs that count.

Tell me, how good will you feel if the Pats win Saturday and then lose the first playoff game?

Well, that's how the Giants will feel, too.

If Coughling plays his starters and loses a playoff game, what has he gained?

Based on the Giants past performance ALL YEAR, what give anyone a clue they will win of Saturday?

If he loses Saturday and then beats Tampa Bay, he will have advanced inot the playoffs, which is far more important than going 11-5, even if they do beat the Pats.

Who remembers who lost to the Dolphins in hte last game of 1972?

In all my year's of watching the NFL, I have never seen a team with their playoff position locked up play hard in their last game.

And that includes BB's Patriots.

Now, of course, the Patriots are in the same category this year, but 16-0 is something to play for.

So, I'm saying, the Giants will not be up for this game.

What crap. It is the playoffs that count.

Tell me, how good will you feel if the Pats win Saturday and then lose the first playoff game?

Well, that's how the Giants will feel, too.

If Coughling plays his starters and loses a playoff game, what has he gained?

Based on the Giants past performance ALL YEAR, what give anyone a clue they will win of Saturday?

If he loses Saturday and then beats Tampa Bay, he will have advanced inot the playoffs, which is far more important than going 11-5, even if they do beat the Pats.

Who remembers who lost to the Dolphins in hte last game of 1972?

The Giants aren't going to any Super Bowl, they're a flawed team. They have a better chance of upsetting the Patriots, and will be remembered forever if they do it. They will be fired up more than any other opponent we've seen. It's their SB.

The Giants aren't going to any Super Bowl, they're a flawed team. They have a better chance of upsetting the Patriots, and will be remembered forever if they do it.

Forever?? Puleeese. This is just a teeny bit over the top.

It will look like the Eagles and ravens game , it s gonna be another tough game .

Superbowl is a longshot but here they have a chance to orchestrate one of the biggest underdog victories in front of the entire country.

Get ready saturday for a bumpy ride !

Agreed!! I think the Patriots will win a TOUGH game. My concern is Tom Brady surviving and in one piece. The Giants are the best pass rushing team in football and if we see playcalling that leaves Brady exposed and running for his life against the Giants like we saw against the Dolphins he's going to get hurt. Hopefully Josh has taken his head out of his a#% (only took the 4th quarter against the Dolphins before Josh realized his QB was on the ground an awful lot and perhaps having company in the backfield is a good thing for his QB) and crafts a game plan that has the survival of the QB as a top priority.

The morning of the Steelers game I felt like the Patriots were done playing close games and would go back to winning by double digits. I told a friend about it and so far the feeling hasn't faded.

This is the most focused this team will be short of the postseason. They all know 16-0 is important and I don't think they'll come out flat at all. Considering that the Patriots have more talent than the Giants I do not think it will be a tough game, which isn't something I would normally say.

Agreed!
The Pats will come out in playoff mode because after Saturdays
game its one and done if we don't execute well.

Agreed!! I think the Patriots will win a TOUGH game. My concern is Tom Brady surviving and in one piece. The Giants are the best pass rushing team in football and if we see playcalling that leaves Brady exposed and running for his life against the Giants like we saw against the Dolphins he's going to get hurt. Hopefully Josh has taken his head out of his a#% (only took the 4th quarter against the Dolphins before Josh realized his QB was on the ground an awful lot and perhaps having company in the backfield is a good thing for his QB) and crafts a game plan that has the survival of the QB as a top priority.

http://www.veganmomma.com/blog pictures/Cartoons/2007/Chicken-Little.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back