PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giants vs. officials

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankiesfly

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I know officials are human, but i think they should all have to have an eye exam. The officials in the giant game were the worst i ever seen. If you watched the game you might agree. If you saw the pass interference call at the end of the fourth quater, i think one of the refs saw casper whereing a blue jersey. Things need to be done, or put crappy calls like that under review.

frankiesfly said:
I know officials are human, but i think they should all have to have an eye exam. The officials in the giant game were the worst i ever seen. If you watched the game you might agree. If you saw the pass interference call at the end of the fourth quater, i think one of the refs saw casper whereing a blue jersey. Things need to be done, or put crappy calls like that under review.
The defender slipped and fell. That is what I believe fooled the ref into throwing the flag on what was nothing more than a miniscule movement of the WR's elbow.

frankiesfly said:

It's amazing when they get a call that wrong it's always at such a critical point in the game and always seems to favor the dolts. The officiating crew wrongly awarded the squealers a TD in their game (stepped out of bounds) and created a bogus PI call that essentially handed the game to the dolts. Ahhh the season has begun.

manningfriendstf6.jpg

Pereira was all over NFL Network this week propping up the credibility of the refs after last season's post season officiating debacle.

Looks like he'll have to be on all this week after this game.

R

QuiGon said:
The defender slipped and fell. That is what I believe fooled the ref into throwing the flag on what was nothing more than a miniscule movement of the WR's elbow.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It was a combo of the move by the receiver and the slip by Harper that, in real time, looked worse than what it was. It looks like the league may be stepping up the WR pass interference. I saw it called quite a few times this weekend. That could have an impact too.

There was no excuse for that call. If anything, the defender was trying to hold onto the WR as he changed direction - and failed. He slipped long after the contact, if any.

R

That might have been the most brutally awful call I've seen in a long time. I don't know how the fans restrained themselves from storming the field and carrying that ref off to be tarred and feathered.

Giants are just lucky they screwed up plenty of other things on their own that ended up costing them the game (dropped INTs, crazy penalties), because if they had played largely mistake free and THEN that penalty happened...oh baby.

Its official. The "Lets get Manning his Superbowl Ring" drive has begun. That was one of the most bogus offensive pass interference calls I have ever seen.

Not defending the PI call, that was horrible. However, remember it is also the officials' first game. If we expect the players to improve from week to week, we should also expect the same of the officials. As someone who has officiated several sports, no number of exhibition games, clinics, camps etc have prepared me for the first game of the year in any of the sports.

Again, blatant bad calls, no excuse. This is more for missing a hold or an offsides.

That PI call was trash, I agree.

But it was hilarious when Shockey and the next WR couldn't get out of bounds after their catches.

Eli races to the line to spike it.

He spikes it. Flags fly.

Penalty, illegal snap, center.

(BooOOooOO!)

By NFL rule, 10 seconds are to be taken off the clock for this penalty if the game is within 1 minute remaining.

(BOOOooOOO!)

7 seconds remaining.

(BOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

Bad day to be a Giants fan.

Last edited:
The refs are not allowed to let anybody win against the Colts. its in their contracts. peyton is god. everyone knows this.

The problem is that PI calls aren't reviewable. If they can let fumbles play past the whistle, which is dangerous and ridiculous, they should at the very least make reviewable one of the most game-changing and controversial calls in football.

Don't blame the officials. Blame the competition committee.

Wait a minute, wait a minute...

BLO Fan started another thread saying the officials cost the Bills a victory in their game vs. the Pats yesterday. You mean the zebras cost the Giants their game also? Terrible, terrible. Say, were any games played in the NFL on the up-and-up yesterday?

:blahblah:

njpatsfan said:
Pereira was all over NFL Network this week propping up the credibility of the refs after last season's post season officiating debacle.

Looks like he'll have to be on all this week after this game.

R

Maybe he can explain why it's not a penalty to hit a QB qho is sliding and 'giving himself up' as Charlie Batch did on Thurs night and Trent Green did before nearly getting decapitated on Sunday........

I am really suprised to see a thread this critical of the referees with no mention of the Pats game.

We got every favorable call in the second half. Including a block in the back that was an obvious dive by Vrabel which negated a big first down for the Bills.

Just about the only call we didnt get was a holding penalty on the Safety by Warren. Wilfork would have had him first but whoever was "blocking" him was holding on for dear life to as much of Wilfork's shirt as he could get his hands on.

I did not watch much of the Giants - Colts game. I did see that Offensive Pass intereference call, which was bogus. Eli through a pick on the very next play, cant blame that on officials.

The Giants did not make the plays they needed to. They dropped two or three Ints, which would have taken a minimum of 6 points off the board. That fumbled hand off killed them to. The Giants did not deserve to win that game, regardless of how the officials called it.

hughthehand said:
Just about the only call we didnt get was a holding penalty on the Safety by Warren. Wilfork would have had him first but whoever was "blocking" him was holding on for dear life to as much of Wilfork's shirt as he could get his hands on.

How about the biggest call we didn't get? The facemask on Brady's fumble, 12 seconds into the game?
1157923859_0908.jpg

FloridaPatsFan said:
Its official. The "Lets get Manning his Superbowl Ring" drive has begun. That was one of the most bogus offensive pass interference calls I have ever seen.

The refs didn't throw that horrible pass on the next play.

workhorse said:

No, but if that bogus PI call isn't made they aren't playing 3rd and very long from near the end zone. Which would mean he wouldn't have to attempt that pass.

It's hard to believe with all the talk about the horrendous officiating last year and a new commissioner that the refs start a new season clearly no better than where they were last year.

workhorse said:
True, but the horrible pass came about because, after the penalty, the Giants faced third and long, deep in their own end, 4 minutes to go. If the right call was made (no penalty) then NY has 1st and 10, 4 minutes left, about 40 yards away from FG territory against an Indy defense that was having a hard time stopping them.

Last edited:
Maybe I should keep quiet, but I didn't think the angle on the PI call against the Giants was nearly good enough to know whether or not it was a good call. The fact that you push off with your elbow as opposed to your hand doesn't make a difference. The league is pretty good about addressing screw ups, so we'll see when the Wednesday or Thursday memo comes out if that play was discussed.

I'm new here, so just sort of asking a question to ask. Does anyone seriously believe the refs at this level give a crap who wins or doesn't, or is this just sort of playful banter? I mean, I can see questioning a guy's judgment, mechanics, or positioning, but the conspiracy stuff is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes