PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giants, Eli Manning said to be close on $120M contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Giant payday coming to Eli Manning after laying Eagle egg

The Super Bowl championship the Giants won last year was priceless. The man who led them to it is not.

The Giants will have to pay a hefty price to keep last year's Super Bowl MVP. Eli Manning's contract is due to expire after next season, and sometime in the next year - probably the next few months - the Giants will take the first steps toward making him the next member of the $100 million quarterback club.

Manning might even end up being the highest-paid member, as several NFL sources said his next deal could be worth a league-high $15 million per season. That would be an average of $1 million more than his brother Peyton is making on the seven-year, $98 million deal he signed with the Indianapolis Colts in 2004.

Based on interviews with several agents and personnel people, Eli Manning appears to be in line for a seven- or eight-year contract worth $110 million-$120 million with $40 million in guarantees.

That would make the 28-year-old the eighth quarterback to top the $100 million barrier, and would put him near the top with Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb (12 years, $115million), Cincinnati's Carson Palmer (nine years, $118.75 million), and former Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick (10 years, $130 million).

"We know," said one team source. "But that's money we're going to be happy to pay."

[edit] ..............more at link above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OT: Giants, Eli Manning said to be close on $120M contract extension

not worth it. after that performance, the giants are dumb enough to give this kid, who to me is essentially a backup quarterback, a 120 million extension? they should have kept rivers.

Thats shocking for Eli.

That really is a strange business decision. I know this is a quarterback league, but you pay for value and production. Without Burress streaking the sidelines, Eli doesn't show a whole heap.

On the plus side, that big money should make it easier for the Giants to lose some of their free agent playmakers.

The the Colts and Giants now each paid about $100M for one Super Bowl ring. Nice.

Have I mentioned how glad I am we have Brady?

I don't see what the hell the Giants could see in him to give him that much, especially with Plaxico now outta it. I think this move could really screw them, more of the reason for me to cheer this deal on:D

not worth it. after that performance, the giants are dumb enough to give this kid, who to me is essentially a backup quarterback, a 120 million extension? they should have kept rivers.

And they would have kept the draft picks that became Merriman and Kaeding.....

Giant payday coming to Eli Manning after laying Eagle egg

The Super Bowl championship the Giants won last year was priceless. The man who led them to it is not.

The Giants will have to pay a hefty price to keep last year's Super Bowl MVP. Eli Manning's contract is due to expire after next season, and sometime in the next year - probably the next few months - the Giants will take the first steps toward making him the next member of the $100 million quarterback club.

Manning might even end up being the highest-paid member, as several NFL sources said his next deal could be worth a league-high $15 million per season. That would be an average of $1 million more than his brother Peyton is making on the seven-year, $98 million deal he signed with the Indianapolis Colts in 2004.

Based on interviews with several agents and personnel people, Eli Manning appears to be in line for a seven- or eight-year contract worth $110 million-$120 million with $40 million in guarantees.

That would make the 28-year-old the eighth quarterback to top the $100 million barrier, and would put him near the top with Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb (12 years, $115million), Cincinnati's Carson Palmer (nine years, $118.75 million), and former Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick (10 years, $130 million).

"We know," said one team source. "But that's money we're going to be happy to pay."

[edit] ..............more at link above.

they say that now...lol, i doubt its the same in 2 seasons

they say that now...lol, i doubt its the same in 2 seasons

In two years, there likely won't be a hard salary cap for them to worry about. Then again, it'll still be money wasted. :)

What is it with teams giving players who don't perform giant contracts? Romo got a huge deal after blowing 2 post season appearances, and after Eli shows he can't win without Plaxico, they give him a huge contract... I'll never understand it...

Granted, Eli has a SB MVP (that belonged to his defense), but I highly doubt the Giants will ever win another with Eli as the QB... and isn't that the real reason you pay a QB the big bucks?

Wow that is overpriced.....maybe if his name was Peyton I would agree a little more. 120 million to hand the ball off and pass it up for grabs to Burris wow I think it is a dumb move. Makes you wonder what Cassel thinks he would get on the open market??

Granted, Eli has a SB MVP (that belonged to his defense), but I highly doubt the Giants will ever win another with Eli as the QB... and isn't that the real reason you pay a QB the big bucks?

In an ideal world that would be the case but the truth is these guys get paid the way they do because of marketing (obviously skill has something to do with that but there is more to it). If you are truly the best in the world you will get your money.....but if you are really good but not the best but you Market as well as the other guys than you can get that money too. That is the case with Romo and likely the case here. It is also the reason why the top half the first round deserve what they get because they will be used for marketing.

Manning is someone they can market to their fans. The Manning name alone right know is pretty worthy I bet even the other brother could get a contract.

The real issue here is that Brady is up for a new contract in a few and he is the best at both.

There isn't a single backup in the NFL - aside from Cassel - that is better than Eli. Is he worth that money? Hell no. But a backup he aint.

In two years, there likely won't be a hard salary cap for them to worry about. Then again, it'll still be money wasted. :)

Good point. Didn't think about 2010 being uncapped.

There isn't a single backup in the NFL - aside from Cassel - that is better than Eli. Is he worth that money? Hell no. But a backup he aint.

That is exactly what I was about to say, lol. If Eli Manning is a back-up quarterback then how crappy does that make us look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes