PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Giants are the Patriots' Kryptonite!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Radio, TV, print, Internet... if I see, read or hear that phrase one more time, I'm gonna punch something.

So are injuries.

What did you end up punching?

and no, I don't believe they are...people are just hoping it is true. Truth is, in the games they've played, luck has favored the Giants (Patriot injuries, fumble recoveies, post season refs allowing penalties to slide...)much more than the Patriots and the Giants used to have good players

Just win tomorrow. The games have been competitive. One amazing throw and one fluke catch just before a dropped int by asante. Our secondary and pass rush has to show up tomorrow

I do think there is a kernel of truth, in that Coughlin worked with Belichick at the Giants, they are part of the Parcells tree; they are friends, and Coughlin doesn't have the same levels of intimidation/fear of BB that many other coaches do. He also trusts BB, realizes he isn't some cheating monster, but an honorable man, so BB isn't in his head in that regard either (e.g., no time worrying about headset-type issues).

Hence, Coughlin is more likely to just treat it like any other game. I think intimidation and overthinking* is often a problem with coaches that play us. We win the mental game in the week of prep before the game.

Aren't the Giants the only team with a winning record against us in like...the last 10 years or something? (Among teams with four or more games)

One thing you won't get from Coughlin or Belichick after tomorrow's game is a bunch of whining.

Obviously there is only so far coaching can take you. If Coughlin were coaching my kid's kindergarten class, my hunch is the Patriots would win by a touchdown or two. :) With our team against theirs, our banged-up OLine, I think the teams will fall within 7 points of each other when the clock hits snakeyes. And I'm in second place in the patsfan pool, so you know my prediction carries a great deal of weight. :p

* I have no excuse for Steelers or Colts. They tend to underprepare/underthink everything, and then generate excuses after. E.g., snapfu (Colts), being completely unprepared for elementary defensive formation shifts (Steelers).

Last edited:
Well, Kryptonite eventually ended up costing Lex Luthor his arm and nearly his life and Superman prevailed in the end anyway even after taking a few beatings and being held at bay. So I think the comparison is an apt one.

I have heard all week on radio them trying to build up this game because Coughlin is in Brady's head and they always do well against the Pats because they aren't afraid of them.

In 2007-2011, the common theme with the Giants were they had a solid d-line that could pressure the QB with a four man rush no matter how bad the defense was. They usually hurt the Pats with the inside rush. This year's Giants' defense does not have a pass rush at all. Sure the Pats' o-line is in shambles, but the Giants' d-line sucks and they just lost their starting DT for the season. JPP looks like the only one who can rush the passer, but it could have been a first game that the other team didn't take him seriously with his hand.

Also different this year is Brady is different. He has a much faster release and is far more mobile in and out of the pocket. He isn't susceptible to the inside rush as he was in the past either.

I still think the Pats win this game by two TDs. I think people are building up the Giants into something they aren't just like they did with the Jets and Bills earlier in the season. The Giants are an average team with a bad defense. They cannot cover the TE for the life of them.

It's funny because if I'm not mistaken, the only constants from those 2 superbowls are the the two QBs, maybe a player or two, and a couple of coaches. The rest are all new/different. Amazing. I never looked for a regular season week to be over as much as this one. So sick of this ********.

They usually hurt the Pats with the inside rush. This year's Giants' defense does not have a pass rush at all. Sure the Pats' o-line is in shambles

That's thing. The one area the Pats OL isn't effected is the interior, Kline-Andrews-Mason will start and that's what the starting interior OL has been this season.

I have heard all week on radio them trying to build up this game because Coughlin is in Brady's head and they always do well against the Pats because they aren't afraid of them.

In 2007-2011, the common theme with the Giants were they had a solid d-line that could pressure the QB with a four man rush no matter how bad the defense was. They usually hurt the Pats with the inside rush. This year's Giants' defense does not have a pass rush at all. Sure the Pats' o-line is in shambles, but the Giants' d-line sucks and they just lost their starting DT for the season. JPP looks like the only one who can rush the passer, but it could have been a first game that the other team didn't take him seriously with his hand.

Also different this year is Brady is different. He has a much faster release and is far more mobile in and out of the pocket. He isn't susceptible to the inside rush as he was in the past either.

I still think the Pats win this game by two TDs. I think people are building up the Giants into something they aren't just like they did with the Jets and Bills earlier in the season. The Giants are an average team with a bad defense. They cannot cover the TE for the life of them.

Well i wish tommy had worked on his mobility before but ur right about the giants pass rush. I like mankins but he used to killed us in those big games. If they lose tomorrow i would be concern. This giants team sucks!!

It's funny because if I'm not mistaken, the only constants from those 2 superbowls are the the two QBs, maybe a player or two, and a couple of coaches. The rest are all new/different. Amazing. I never looked for a regular season week to be over as much as this one. So sick of this ********.

Quarterback and head coach are sort of important. They are the reason for our continued success despite all other changes in personnel. If both teams had different HC and QB, it would indeed be interesting for mainly historical reasons. I don't think it is BS or silly to focus: it is a rivalry that goes back to the season of our greatest disappointment, like it or not. And as long as there is continuity at those positions, this seems a valid storyline.

Well, that doesn't mean I have to like it!!!!

I do think there is a kernel of truth, in that Coughlin worked with Belichick at the Giants, they are part of the Parcells tree; they are friends, and Coughlin doesn't have the same levels of intimidation/fear of BB that many other coaches do. He also trusts BB, realizes he isn't some cheating monster, but an honorable man, so BB isn't in his head in that regard either (e.g., no time worrying about headset-type issues).

Hence, Coughlin is more likely to just treat it like any other game. I think intimidation and overthinking* is often a problem with coaches that play us. We win the mental game in the week of prep before the game.

Aren't the Giants the only team with a winning record against us in like...the last 10 years or something? (Among teams with four or more games)

One thing you won't get from Coughlin or Belichick after tomorrow's game is a bunch of whining.

Obviously there is only so far coaching can take you. If Coughlin were coaching my kid's kindergarten class, my hunch is the Patriots would win by a touchdown or two. :) With our team against theirs, our banged-up OLine, I think the teams will fall within 7 points of each other when the clock hits snakeyes. And I'm in second place in the patsfan pool, so you know my prediction carries a great deal of weight. :p

* I have no excuse for Steelers or Colts. They tend to underprepare/underthink everything, and then generate excuses after. E.g., snapfu (Colts), being completely unprepared for elementary defensive formation shifts (Steelers).

Excellent Post!! And I would add that Coach Coughlin's intimacy with Mad Bill's Coaching also renders Coach Bill's machinations somewhat less confounding. I'm sure neither'f us would go so far as to suggest that Coach Coughlin has an Edge, per se ~ nobody does on Mad Bill ~ only that Mad Bill's Edge is less pronounced because of Coach Coughlin's familiarity with Coach Bill himself and with his Tactics as well.

Last edited:
I believe the score will be even in games won against the Giants if we win tomorrow.

I'm really afraid of that stout Giants Dline. With the way they've been dominating teams this year, I hope they don't kill Brady out there on Sunday.

Oh, wait.... their pass rush f&cking sucks this year.

Should be a good test for the Patriots secondary but Brady against the Giants secondary is cheating.

On the other hand, just mentioning Patriots and Kryptonite means they fight for truth, justice and the american way of life and are beyond the powers of mere man :D.

Normally Belichick would run right at Pierre Paul but with his bad hand that would be cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back