Giants a week off = huge disadvantage

The last thing you want to do when your hot and on a streak is take time off

Just ask the Rockies.

Just ask the Rockies.

You're right....maybe it will help the Patriots cold streak too!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'd actually say it like this to be more accurate.

BB gets an extra week to prepare = a huge, mega Giants disadvantage.

Just ask the Rockies.

Giants apparently have a poor record after bye weeks. Before the week 17 game, even Amani Toomer was saying that given their record after bye weeks, they would rather not take the week off to rest :)

Giants apparently have a poor record after bye weeks. Before the week 17 game, even Amani Toomer was saying that given their record after bye weeks, they would rather not take the week off to rest

Coughlin has taught his players well. Zero trash talk from either team. Instead of saying how classy they are, they just act classy. Something the Chargers will never learn as long as LT is a leader of that team.

I sure hope that this isn't the attitude of anyone in the Patriots organization. The truth is that this is the biggest game ever for most of the Giants and their coaches. If you think that because the Patriots haven't lost a game after a BYE week under Belichick that they can't lose the Super Bowl, you're crazy.

When both teams show up on Super Bowl Sunday, the scoreboard is going to read 0-0. Calling this week of a "huge disadvantage" for the Giants is stupid. They get extra time to prepare for the Patriots too! They get to rest and get healthy too! Based on past history, do the Patriots have an advantage going in to game? Definitely. But I certainly wouldn't call it "huge". Belichick is a obviously great coach, but it's not like he's the only one getting the extra week.

I reserve the term "huge advantage" for something that directly affects the players on the field, like Eli and/or Brandon Jacobs not playing.

If you think that because the Patriots haven't lost a game after a BYE week under Belichick that they can't lose the Super Bowl, you're crazy.

Calling this week of a "huge disadvantage" for the Giants is stupid.
Why are so many of your posts so ridiculous? Are you bsamson?

Before opening your yap, why not look up the Pats record after a week off and the Giants record after a week off?

Do this for the last 4-5 years, then come back and apologize to the original poster.

Sheesh.

Why are so many of your posts so ridiculous? Are you bsamson?

Before opening your yap, why not look up the Pats record after a week off and the Giants record after a week off?

Do this for the last 4-5 years, then come back and apologize to the original poster.

Sheesh.

Before opening YOUR YAP, why don't you READ? Go back and read the third sentence of my post.

Actually, don't bother. Here it is. "If you think that because the Patriots haven't lost a game after a BYE week under Belichick that they can't lose the Super Bowl, you're crazy. "

Now you can apologize to me.

Is it that outrageous of a opinion that I don't think the week off is a HUGE ADVANTAGE for the Patriots? I bet Bill Belichick himself is would say that it's not a huge advantage. It's OK to be the devil's advocate sometimes. You need to hear different perspectives.

I stand by my original point that I don't think the week off is as big of an advantage as the poster makes it out to be. Just because you've posted over 5,000 more times than me doesn't mean your opinion is any more correct or incorrect. I think I justified my side of the argument. Personally, whether you agree or not doesn't bother me in the least. But at least respect my perspective in the argument. Even though I'm new at this forum, I've still been on other message boards. You may be a moderator, but it's OK to listen to others.

And if bsamson is a poster, i'm not him

Last edited:
Before opening YOUR YAP, why don't you READ? Go back and read the third sentence of my post?

Actually, don't bother. Here it is. "If you think that because the Patriots haven't lost a game after a BYE week under Belichick that they can't lose the Super Bowl, you're crazy. "

Now you can apologize to me.

Is it that outrageous of a opinion that I don't think the week off is a HUGE ADVANTAGE for the Patriots? I bet Bill Belichick himself is would say that it's not a huge advantage. It's OK to be the devil's advocate sometimes. You need to hear different perspectives.

I stand by my original point that I don't think the week off is as big of an advantage as the poster makes it out to be.

And what the hell is bsamson?

Let me just give you the lo-down. Fans from 18 teams have come on this board, week after week saying how good their team is and they're not to be taken lightly.

I'll let you figure out what happened to those fans after the games were played. You're wasting your time coming on here and trying to defend your team because you feel the need to justify how good they are.

Last edited:
Let me just give you the lo-down. Fans from 18 teams have come on this board, week after week saying how good their team is and they're not to be taken lightly.

I'll let you figure out what happened to those fans after the games were played. You're wasting your time coming on here and trying to defend your team because you feel the need to justify how good they are.

I am a New England Patriots Season Ticket Holder since 2001. I would be devastated if they lost in the Super Bowl and missed out on an undefeated season because they took the Giants too lightly. Just because I don't have 5,000 posts doesn't mean I'm a Giants fan.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the greatest advantage, how big of an advantage going in to the Super Bowl would you rate the extra week off?

I would say between 3-4. That's not a huge advantage.

Last edited:
I am a New England Patriots Season Ticket Holder since 2001. I would be devastated if they lost in the Super Bowl and missed out on an undefeated season because they took the Giants too lightly. Just because I don't have 5,000 posts doesn't mean I'm a Giants fan.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the greatest advantage, how big of an advantage going in to the Super Bowl would you rate the extra week off?

I will back up on Sparks on both accounts - where could it possibly imply he is not a PATS fan in all his posts in this thread?

& he is right I would rate it just a 3 or 4 on the advantage scale for Coach B having the extra week to gameplan. Coach B is the best but it comes down mostly to the players executing accordingly..

Coughlin has taught his players well. Zero trash talk from either team.
From what I've seen, the Giants definitely know how to talk.... Pierce, Buress, Strahan, Jacobs......they're all good at talking before and after games. We'll see.....

The Giants gained some real confidence in their run.

They're not going to lose that. It's up to the coach to get them rested, then tuned.

The Giants gained some real confidence in their run.

They're not going to lose that. It's up to the coach to get them rested, then tuned.
That's true. I honestly believe a lot of it with Eli is psychological. He's shown he has the ability to be a very good, if not great QB at times, I don't think the complaint was ever anyone doubting he had that ability. It's just he could never capture it at the right time.

I think they did gain momentum going into the playoffs, by how close to the vest they played us in week 17. And I think going on the road helped them, away from their loudmouth fans that would call for a QB or coach change after two losses in a row. At the same time, I think that natural momentum they're riding does simmer down some on this bye, and things kind of reset while both coaches and teams prepare. It's in that regard I consider them susceptible for the kind of "cool down" factor the Rockies endured in the World Series.

Giants have played hard 4 weeks in a row now, 3 on the road, with various injuries. The 2 week wait favors the Giants, no question. This is not the same as a "bye week", those two weeks are very busy as it is.

Last edited:
Giants have played hard 4 weeks in a row now, 3 on the road, with various injuries. The 2 week wait favors the Giants, no question. This is not the same as a "bye week", those two weeks are very busy as it is.

While I agree with this, I think Eli will have some time to think about what the Giants have accomplished. My guess is he will have more difficulty dealing with the attention and the hoopla around the SB than Brady will.

There was a great article written a while ago, I think by Will McDonough describing how in the SB the moment can overwhelm some players. I could picture that happening to Eli.

good topic. i didn't think about it before, but now that i do i definitely believe that the giants would have been better off riding the wave of beating the #1 and #2 seeds on the road right into a Sunday game this week. i have always believed that it was a distinct advantage to the patriots in 2002 that there wasn't an extra week before SB XXXVI because of the lost weekend after 9/11. we went from the snow bowl to the big upset of the steelers in pittsburgh right into the superbowl. now the giants have to deal for the first time with the extra pressures that come with playing in an SB and with all that time to think about it. it's also natural that some of the momentum from their fantastic finish would abate.

this time the advantage of an off week is all to the patriots. every game since Indy has felt like a playoff game, with 16--0 on the line. we had our hands full on sunday and came out of it with our QB a little banged up. our guys know how to handle the pre-game pressures and how to get ready for the game itself because nearly half of them have done it before. plus, it gives BB an extra week to get the game plan and put it in place. the patriots actually have a rhythm for how to handle the week "on site", right up to the pre-game routine. that's a huge advantage.

IMO, superbowl experience is a real factor, but it's impact is primarily felt in the extra week leading up to the game, in the preparation on game day itself, for the first couple of series and maybe in being accustomed to the 30 minute halftime break with all h**l breaking loose in the stadium. once the hitting starts on the field, the advantage dissipates.

Last edited:

I think it's your 'Nervous Nellie' act that makes people think you aren't a Pats fan. I put the advantage at say, 8-9.

I would rate it around an "8" when you compare how the two teams will use or be affected by it. The Giants might get a little rusty and not be as "hot" as they were previously. I don't know about Coughlin's ability to use the time to coach up a perfect game plan, but Toomer's comments seem to suggest that he doesn't have a particular talent to do that. BB on the other hand, is spectacular at this; the more time he has, the better. Tom Brady is obviously nicked up, so the 2 weeks are a benefit to us. While I understand the Giants players have the same 2 weeks, TB is more important to his team than any injured Giant is to their team, so again, it is a bigger advantage for the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back