PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giant Advantages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mindless banter. Everything you base your theory on is hyperbaly. I will be interested to see if you stop by this board on Feb 4th. I think not. TROLL!

Listen you barely beat the Eagles as is advetised in the logo below your messages.

Giants have Spags as DC, the former coach of the Eagles. Plus the Giants have a better offense then the Eagles.

Should be a good game, could go either way. Giants 38 Pats 34.

Listen you barely beat the Eagles as is advetised in the logo below your messages.

Giants have Spags as DC, the former coach of the Eagles. Plus the Giants have a better offense then the Eagles.

Should be a good game, could go either way. Giants 38 Pats 34.

You're grasping at straws, my friend. You have enlightened us all as to your DESIRED outcome, but that was clear from the first sentence you wrote. You haven't really done any convincing, even for those among us (like myself) who can see scenarios in which the Giants win.

As for the Giants having a better offense than the Eagles, that's debatable. The Giants scored more points, but yards-wise the Eagles were 4th in the NFC, Giants were 9th.

Plus, the Giants don't have a single player who's close to as talented or dangerous as Westbrook.

Last edited:
Yes, yes. The problem is that those cornerbacks, even with healthy, are not NEARLY as good as you seem to think they are. If you're not going to be convinced of this, then I don't know what else we here can do to help you out. If your team has one glaring weakness above all others, it's the secondary, and that's not debatable really.

Prior to the playoffs I would have agreed with you. In fact Butler (safety) is still the biggest weakness on the defense.

But since the playoffs started Webster has been playing amazing football.

Remember Dallas and GB have good passing games, and they both couldn't pass against the Giants secondary.

Ross the first round pick has also been playing very well.

There is no way the Giants stop your passing attack... but they could get some big interceptions due to a good pass rush and solid coverage.

As for the Giants having a better offense than the Eagles, that's debatable. The Giants scored more points, but yards-wise the Eagles were 4th in the NFC, Giants were 9th.

Plus, the Giants don't have a single player who's close to as talented or dangerous as Westbrook.

Giants beat the Ealges twice this year. How do you explain that ?

I am actually surprised at how many of you are ripping into the original poster.

Sure, I don't agree with his arguments either, but it appears as though is merely just trying to strike up a conversation to gauge where the other teams' fans stand. He isn't one of those "Pats SUCK, my team Rules" posters. Go ahead and tell him why you think he is wrong, but cut him a little slack.

I realize the fact New England is a great team, that being said the Giants do have some advantages over New England:

When Giants are on Offense:

1) Run Jacobs and Bradshaw. Jacobs is 264 pounds and 6"4. In front of Jacobs the Giants have FB Madison Hedge**** who is 6"3 and 266 pounds.

How will your old linebackers stand up to that kind of pounding ?

Also don't forget Giants have Bradshaw a small, quick, yet powerful running back. He missed the first game against NE, but will be playing in the SB.

Advantage Giants.

2) If the running game gets going it will open up the play action pass. Boss, Toomer, and Smith will be open on the short passes as your LBers will be too concerned about the running game. Can you say "play action pass" ?

Advantage Giants

3) Hobbs vs. Burress. A total mismatch. Hobbs is too short to cover Burress.
Burress will be a deep threat all game, even if he doesn't make one deep catch.

Advantage Giants.

4) Steve Smith is a rookie who was injured for a good part of the season. He is coming on strong and can make clutch receptions. Can Gay and/or Meriweather keep up with him ?

Advantage Giants.

When the Giants are on Defense:

Your offense is too damn good, not much teams can do to stop it.
However Giants do have some advantages:

1) Strahan, Osi, and Tuck. All great pass rushers. Giants might be able
to get pressure on Brady and force him to rush his throws.

Not really an advantage against your OL, but it could be.

2) Giants have great depth and CB. Madison, Webster, Ross, Dockery and McQuarters. All of these guys could be starters and have started throughout the season. Dockery is expected back for the SB.

Dockery is small and quick, a perfect player to lineup against Welker. Dockery missed the first game and Welker had a big day.

Moss was contained by Madison in the first game until he got injured... then Moss lit up the Giants. Madison will be back for the SB.

Stalworth/Gaffney vs. Ross/Webster is a draw.

Obviously NE gets the overall advantage

3) Watson/Maroney/Faulk as receivers.... this is what the Giants must stop and the Giants LBers are great at coverage. Lucky the Giants have extra CBs to help contain Faulk.

Advantage NE.

4) Maroney vs. Giants Rush defense.

Giants rush defense is solid.

Advantage Giants.

Should be a close game: Giants 38 New England 34
Idiotic troll!

:trolls:

Prior to the playoffs I would have agreed with you. In fact Butler (safety) is still the biggest weakness on the defense.

But since the playoffs started Webster has been playing amazing football.

Remember Dallas and GB have good passing games, and they both couldn't pass against the Giants secondary.

Ross the first round pick has also been playing very well.

There is no way the Giants stop your passing attack... but they could get some big interceptions due to a good pass rush and solid coverage.

If you think the game is going to hinge on Tom Brady throwing MULTIPLE interceptions, than I really feel bad for you. The Chargers did so with a much much much better secondary than the Giants have, and their team led the league in turnovers.

The Giants? Well, they were -9 in turnover differential this season, only San Fran and St. Louis were worse in the NFC. The Patriots? No team turned it over less. If you think what happened in the last two weeks against NFC competition is an indicator that the Giants are going to get some "big interceptionS (plural)" than I would hate to be the walls in your house on Sunday when the remotes go flying, I really would.

Next.

In week 17 Jacobs ran the ball 15 times for 67 yards, that is 4.5 per carry!
Not bad. Also if you remember he trucked Rodney Harrison. Then on the next play Harrison dove at his ankles missing badly. LOL!!
Don't believe it ? Watch the video on NFL.com from 1:47 to 2:00.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29435&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG17

If that isn't enough of response for you then remember Bradshaw missed the first game. If you watched the Giants last few games you will know who Ahmad Bradshaw is, if you didn't you will find out on Sunday.

As for CBs in the first game... Dockery was out... Madison was hurt during the game... Webster was not playing like has the past 2 weeks. Combine that with your potent passing attack and its bad news for the Giants.

This game Webster has his confidence back... Dockery should be healthy... and Madison is also healthy.

So, what is more crucial, running for 4.5 yards a carry and still not hitting 70 total yards or running for 7 yards in the entire first half?

Giants beat the Ealges twice this year. How do you explain that ?

They're a better team? I never refuted that, they're pretty clearly better than the Eagles. I was merely contending with your assertion that the Giants offense is "better". I'm not so convinced it is, based on the reasons I cited.

Last edited:
Listen you barely beat the Eagles as is advertised in the logo below your messages.

Giants have Spags as DC, the former coach of the Eagles.
Brady threw for 380 yards against Philly and 356 against the Giants. Seems to me that he's OK against this vaunted defense.

Both teams have players available that weren't playing or @ 100% in week 17. The Pats were able to adjust and nearly shut down the Giants for a stretch in the 2nd half.
The Giants never showed that ability.

If you really look at the stats, the Pats have an advantage in nearly every facet of the game, despite how you want to spin it. Just because the G-men used 5-6 guys intheir secondary and spread around the beatdowns they rec'd in the passing game, doesn't mean they're suddenly good against the pass.
Pats now have the right side of their o-line in, and all their TE's available, so how do you think that will affect their ability to run the ball as well as protect Brady?

You've got to understand we've seen people like you come through almost every week. The Steelers have an amazing pair of running backs, no way our old backs will be able to stop them. And Jacksonville. And San Diego.

The Jacksonville game WAS close...14-14 at halftime. Then you guys took over. Also Jacksonville only ran the ball 5 times in the second half.

The San Diego game was also close.... 12-14 starting the 4th quarter. Missing Thomlinson also didn't help.

Does that mean you agree with me that the game will be close ?

I agree with the OP to a certain extent about the Giants secondary playing better in the postseason, but let's look at it:

1. The Bucs - Garcia is a game manager who has basically noone to throw to beyond Galloway, who I believe was hobbled.

2. Cowboys - Would have been more impressive if the 'Boys offense hadn't completely fallen off the face of the earth in the latter half of the season.

3. Pack - in freezing cold temperature, Giants were still burned for a long score, and that last pick was 100% boneheaded by Favre, not some awesome play by the Giants.

None of those QBs are close to Tom Brady, even if you took a crowbar to his ankle before the game, and none of those passing attacks are even close right now to what the Patriots can do.

The Giants secondary is weak, unless you can somehow convince me otherwise. I'm listening.

The Jacksonville game WAS close...14-14 at halftime. Then you guys took over. Also Jacksonville only ran the ball 5 times in the second half.

The San Diego game was also close.... 12-14 starting the 4th quarter. Missing Thomlinson also didn't help.

Does that mean you agree with me that the game will be close ?

Let me put it like this - the Giants' only hope is to come out with the pedal to the metal in terms of aggressiveness, and never let up. They have to accept that they might get blown out in order to have a chance. If they show up and play "their game" as they seem to want to, they MAY keep it close, but they won't win.

I can't see them swallowing their pride enough to have a gameplan like the Eagles did, and it certainly isn't the one you outlined in the opening post.

Let me spell it out for you pretty clearly, relating to the thread title. The Giants have ZERO POINT ZERO ZERO advantages over the Patriots. The talent isn't close, the coaching isn't close, and none of the individual comps are close. All that said, they could still win, but it's going to take a titanic effort. And no, that's not just a Pats homer talking, it's the facts.

In week 17 Jacobs ran the ball 15 times for 67 yards, that is 4.5 per carry!
Not bad. Also if you remember he trucked Rodney Harrison. Then on the next play Harrison dove at his ankles missing badly. LOL!!
Don't believe it ? Watch the video on NFL.com from 1:47 to 2:00.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29435&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG17

If that isn't enough of response for you then remember Bradshaw missed the first game. If you watched the Giants last few games you will know who Ahmad Bradshaw is, if you didn't you will find out on Sunday.

As for CBs in the first game... Dockery was out... Madison was hurt during the game... Webster was not playing like has the past 2 weeks. Combine that with your potent passing attack and its bad news for the Giants.

This game Webster has his confidence back... Dockery should be healthy... and Madison is also healthy.

so your basing the fact that jacobs ran the ball a whopping 15 times that the giants will own the running game. Can I buy some pot from you?

Youmention these CB's like they are good, you couldn't do much to stop the Packers Farve had to start remembering that he was Favre in order for you to win that game. This game is being played indoors on a great track. I dont care if Dockery is wearing his "magic shoes" he aint staying with his man all game. your best DB isn't a starter on the Chargers and last I checked we beat them pretty steadily on a good weather field. You dont stand a chance I dont feel like bringing out more statistical crap that will prove you wrong but I could if you'd like. You have no basis for your argument other that "he has his confidence back" that only lasts as long as teh next big play.

By troll have a good party cause the game is already over

Yes, they did that because we shut down the running game.

In the rest you are switching the topic. I said we stopped the running game, in response to your claim that our "old" secondary won't be able to slow the Giants running game down. Your claim is just empirically false: we have stopped much better running games than your Giants can provide.

It doesn't seem you are able to follow a logical train of thought, so good day.

Yes, they did that because we shut down the running game.

In the rest you are switching the topic. I said we stopped the running game, in response to your claim that our "old" secondary won't be able to slow the Giants running game down. Your claim is just empirically false: we have stopped much better running games than your Giants can provide.

It doesn't seem you are able to follow a logical train of thought, so good day.

Wrong. They went away from the run because they were behind playing catch up.

They ran effectively against you... as did the Giants in the first game... the Ravens and many other teams.

Problem is your offense scores so quickly teams get away from the run so your defense never gets fully exposed.

There is some reason to believe it will be different in the SB. Giants running game is among the best in the league, especially since Bradshaw has started sharing time with Jacobs.

I just don't see your old LBers able to stop them all game... your only hope is for your offense to score points early and oftne to force the Giants to pass.

A close hard fought game actually favours the Giants. Giants 38 Pats 34.

Wrong. They went away from the run because they were behind playing catch up.

They ran effectively against you... as did the Giants in the first game... the Ravens and many other teams.

Problem is your offense scores so quickly teams get away from the run so your defense never gets fully exposed.

There is some reason to believe it will be different in the SB. Giants running game is among the best in the league, especially since Bradshaw has started sharing time with Jacobs.

I just don't see your old LBers able to stop them all game... your only hope is for your offense to score points early and oftne to force the Giants to pass.

Sooooooo.......

Jacobs' 4.5 ypc is proof of potential excellence despite him being held to 7 rushing yards in the first half, but Jax being held to 3.5 ypc is not evidence that NE stopped their running game? :confused:

I am actually surprised at how many of you are ripping into the original poster.

Sure, I don't agree with his arguments either, but it appears as though is merely just trying to strike up a conversation to gauge where the other teams' fans stand. He isn't one of those "Pats SUCK, my team Rules" posters. Go ahead and tell him why you think he is wrong, but cut him a little slack.

It's nice to see a Pats fan who has not let the perfect season get to his head. Someone who doesn't expect other fans to concede defeat just because the Pats are 18-0.

I started off saying the Pats are a great team... but it IS HOMERISM to think they are better than the Giants in EVERY aspect of the game.

OUR ONLY HOPE? OUR ONLY HOPE? Dude, can I buy some pot from you? I was glad to see you when you first posted because it's refreshing to see someone actually want to talk football as opposed to just be a troll. But you've gone beyond the pale now, and you're showing your true colors.

You've just described the 18-0 Patriots as having an "only hope" of beating the Giants, statistically the worst Super Bowl team of all time (Fact, not opinion).

A close hard fought game favors the Giants in no conceivable way. Who do you want holding the ball in a four point game with a Super Bowl win on the line? Tom Brady or Eli Manning? Look yourself in the mirror before answering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes