PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gholston,Rivers or Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Chris Long slides to #3, Atlanta might be interested in trading down to take Ryan at 7. I don't know if Belichick wants a Top-3 contract, and I don't know how convinced he is that Long can dominate in a 3-4, but Long seems to be the type of player Belichick loves.

Some good thoughts

So essentially worst case which is really not bad is reaching for a CB to early at 7 if we cannot trade out assuming BPA.

I really hope either longs or Gholston fall or we trade with Dallas for McFadden.

Go back and look at what the players outside the top 3 got. Its not nearly as bad as you make it. I thought it was, until I read about Peterson's contract. the 5 year/$40 million was only if he hit every single escalator in his contractor. Two of those escalators were $1 mill increase each year for gaining 2000 yards as a rookie and a $1 mill per year increase in making 20 TDs. There is 10 million he'll never see. His contract will end up in the $4-$5 mill a year range, is my bet.

And, while it seems like a lot of money to you and me, when you have teams like Tampa at 42 million under the cap, its not.

I read somewhere Peterson's cap hit last year was 6.7 ($40.5 million, $17 million guaranteed), and backup QB JaMarcus Russell's cap hit was 10+ ($61 million, $32 million guaranteed). And that number will go up every year. Looking at the patscap this year there is only 2 players with higher than 6.7 cap hits, Seymour and Brady. Not bad for a rookie.

I read somewhere Peterson's cap hit last year was 6.7 ($40.5 million, $17 million guaranteed), and backup QB JaMarcus Russell's cap hit was 10+ ($61 million, $32 million guaranteed). And that number will go up every year. Looking at the patscap this year there is only 2 players with higher than 6.7 cap hits, Seymour and Brady. Not bad for a rookie.

I don't care what you read, its wrong.

Peterson's cap hit last year was only 2.04 milllion. Russell's cap hit was only 2.976 million.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/...ame=peterson&player=4579&loc=interstitialskip

Also, as I said, Peterson's contract included a ton of escalators. He already missed 2 of them that cost him over 8 million on the total salary figure that was reported.

I don't care what you read, its wrong.

Peterson's cap hit last year was only 2.04 milllion. Russell's cap hit was only 2.976 million.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/...ame=peterson&player=4579&loc=interstitialskip

Also, as I said, Peterson's contract included a ton of escalators. He already missed 2 of them that cost him over 8 million on the total salary figure that was reported.
Do you know if those figures on the usatoday site include escalators? Looking at the historic ones, it seemed a bit low for lots of the pats in sb years, so I was curious if they factored bonuses, etc into them?

Do you know if those figures on the usatoday site include escalators? Looking at the historic ones, it seemed a bit low for lots of the pats in sb years, so I was curious if they factored bonuses, etc into them?

First of all, esclators go into affect the year after they are earned. Not the year they are earned. For instance, any escalator that Wilfork earned will go into his 2008 salary cap number. So, I would question what you used for comparison for the Pats SB years. I used Miguel's pages as a comparison and the numbers are well within 1% of what Miguel has on his page. It should also be noted that Miguel has started using the USAToday page as a reference for updating his page. So there is really no reason to doubt the veracity of the pages.

I think that you misunderstand how NLTBE bonuses get factored in. When a NLTBE bonus is earned, it goes as a debit against the following year's salary cap. It does NOT go against the player'[s cap number for the following year.

First of all, esclators go into affect the year after they are earned. Not the year they are earned. For instance, any escalator that Wilfork earned will go into his 2008 salary cap number. So, I would question what you used for comparison for the Pats SB years. I used Miguel's pages as a comparison and the numbers are well within 1% of what Miguel has on his page. It should also be noted that Miguel has started using the USAToday page as a reference for updating his page. So there is really no reason to doubt the veracity of the pages.

I think that you misunderstand how NLTBE bonuses get factored in. When a NLTBE bonus is earned, it goes as a debit against the following year's salary cap. It does NOT go against the player'[s cap number for the following year.
Cool, thanks for the explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back