PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gholston dominates the bench reps

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BradyToMoss

INDIANAPOLIS -- The following are the top bench-press results for defensive linemen at the combine:

Vernon Gholston* (Ohio State) -- 37

Trevor Laws (Notre Dame) -- 35

Ahtyba Rubin (Iowa State) -- 35

Sedrick Ellis (Southern Cal) -- 34

Nicholas Hayden (Wisconsin-Madison) -- 34

Frank Okam (Texas-Austin) -- 32

Derrick Harvey (Florida) -- 31

Lawrence Jackson (Southern Cal) -- 31

Marchondray Moore (Maryland) -- 31

This projected stand up OLB beat out all of these shorter armed inside DT's !!!!!!!!!!! oh oh, look out, how good would he look in Patriot blue coming off the edge bearing down on #18 Goober after leaving Ugoh staring at his feet................

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very much in favor of taking an impact OLB.

This kid looks solid at #7.

someone's going to take him before 7

i hope i'm wrong though.

as the legs go so does the football player. big day for him tomorrow in the 40

He's going to run a 4.6 something.

If he runs anything below a 4.6 he might be a top 3 pick.

I think you pretty much just had to look at his photos to realize he was going to do well in bench press, lol! I like that power, but I still want to see his agility test, as he'll need to cover in NE's system, too.

By the way, Quentin Groves (6'3" 250lbs) put of 30 reps, and Jonathan Goff put up 28 reps.

someone's going to take him before 7

i hope i'm wrong though.

st louis and the jets are the two teams that will probably look long and hard at him
but i really hope he falls to us, this guy could be the stud young linebacker ive been waiting for us to draft for the last five yrs

st louis and the jets are the two teams that will probably look long and hard at him
but i really hope he falls to us, this guy could be the stud young linebacker ive been waiting for us to draft for the last five yrs

You've wanted them to draft a young stud OLB for the past five years? Surprising really, as they've had Vrabel, Colvin, and McGinnest most of that time, and AD is a good OLB...

Maybe you've wanted them to draft a young stud ILB? That makes more sense, and I hope you're not thinking Gholston fits that bill. He's not an ILB.

Last edited:
Why does this surprise anybody, his arms are Ahhnold-big. I think he's juicing.

You've wanted them to draft a young stud OLB for the past five years? Surprising really, as they've had Vrabel, Colvin, and McGinnest most of that time, and AD is a good OLB...

Maybe you've wanted them to draft a young stud ILB? That makes more sense, and I hope you're not thinking Gholston fits that bill. He's not an ILB.

either inside or outside
i always felt that vrabel could be moved inside, and i first had this feeling before we got colvin
and then after colvin played, as he showed an ability to be great at times and completely dissapear in others, dont get me wrong i like him, but he's nowhere near what willie was in his prime

Now there is a player the Patriots could possibly take late in the third round.

They should take him with the Raiders 3rd, and I don't think he'll last deep into the third round.

Groves kind of reminds of of a cross between Colvin and AD, and he has very good speed for his size. I've been saying I'd like to see Cason, Groves, and Goff on the Patriots, but that's a dream for now, lol!

Groves kind of reminds of of a cross between Colvin and AD, and he has very good speed for his size. I've been saying I'd like to see Cason, Groves, and Goff on the Patriots, but that's a dream for now, lol!
I'll take Cason if he runs 4.50 or lower at the combine ditto Goff if he runs well at the combine.

Vrabel really is overrated now by some of you. I have missed the pass rush the old Vrabel/McGinest combo produced, none coincidently when the team was winning a lot of super bowls. I think at this point Vrabel could be a good ILB for us, while adding fresh young Gholston would be awesome for speed on the D.

I'm starting to feel that he is one of those guys who gets rated to high just because he looks good out of pads and has impressive combine numbers.

Last edited:
Vrabel really is overrated now by some of you. I have missed the pass rush the old Vrabel/McGinest combo produced, none coincidently when the team was winning a lot of super bowls. I think at this point Vrabel could be a good ILB for us, while adding fresh young Gholston would be awesome for speed on the D.
Drafting Gholston is more plausible than selecting McFadden. Let's see how fast Gholston runs the forty at the combine.

Huh? He was talking about a possible 3-4 OLB (Gholston) and said he's wanted a "young stud LB for five years". To that I suggested he must have wanted a stud at ILB, not OLB for the past "five years". I then pointed out that they've had Vrabel, Colvin, McGinnest, and in 2007 AD who are all good OLB's. The point is that NE hasn't needed to add a young OLB for the past "five years". I didn't say anything about Vrabel's current playing ability...

I do think Mike's a very good LB, but (this might surprise you) I'd also rather see Mike in rotation with someone else. NE's pass rush seemed the most effective when they had a good three or four LB rotation at OLB.

Last edited:
either inside or outside
i always felt that vrabel could be moved inside, and i first had this feeling before we got colvin
and then after colvin played, as he showed an ability to be great at times and completely dissapear in others, dont get me wrong i like him, but he's nowhere near what willie was in his prime

Vrabel doesn't like playing ILB, he's not as effective at the position, and the little time that he spent at ILB seemed to wear him down. He's only playing ILB in a pinch.

When Colvin's been healthy I've thought he was a very good LB, and that some Pats fans underrated him. He's come up big in the games that were important, he has good coverage ability in the flats for a LB, and he takes some of the pressure off Vrabel.

Vrabel is a pro-bowl level OLB, as is Colvin. They are fine shape with Thomas and Seau inside, Seau of course getting the fewest reps (even though he's in the best shape).

And yes, it is indeed possible that one of the youngsters will contribute significant reps: Alexander, Woods and Lua.

We can use a 3-4 linebacker who can take contribute, either inside or out. The reality is that a draftee might take a year to contribute, which is fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes