Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ghana 2 U.S.A 1

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by ScotBhoy, Jun 22, 2006.

1. ScotBhoy

ScotBhoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Personally, I am really disappointed that the USA were beaten and we will not see them in the latter stages. The winning goal from Ghana was a penalty awarded by the German ref for what could only be described as a nudge on their striker by the American defender. This decision,to me,epitomizes why the majority of Americans do not enjoy soccer. If left to FIFA, if you come within a yard of your opponent, a foul will be given against you. It will kill the game.
    Congratulations to Italianpatthepatriot on your teams performance, I will follow them with interest. Although it hurts to say so, I also offer congrats to my English neighbours on their success.
    Best result of the night was the Aussies drawing 2-2 with the Croatia. They now play the Azzuri in what should be a really good game.
    Forza Equador!!
  2. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

grazie !
    i'm sorry too that US team left
    Italy played quite well yesterday.
    and now as you correctly said:...Australia on the 8th finals

it starts now the real WC imho
  3. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I believe the real reason Americans don't enjoy soccer is lack of gratification. There's not enough scoring and unlike hockey, the game moves too slow and isn't exciting enough for our attention spans. Sure, I'm willing to sit through 2 hours of mainly passing the ball back and forth for an event like the World Cup, but I could care less in the 4 years between them.
  4. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I was also disappointed in the US loss. That penalty in the box should never have been called. In any major sport playing for a world championship, no ref should make a tacky call, which I believe this was. I also don't get why Johnson was not in the game earlier. The U.S. had its opportunities but couldn't connect. I noticed they also played more of a forward type of game, whereas the Europeans seem to pass the ball back more often?
    Well, I guess I'll turn my attention to baseball, where I can watch a three hour game played out while I snooze in my recliner.
  5. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Well said. I thought that the Aussies played really well and it was a fantastic game. It's a shame that Graham Poll (English ref, much hated by United fans) turned out a display of typical incompetence.
    I don't really support England at football, tbh. The "No Surrender" and the other crap turned me off in the late 80s and I've always focused on United as my passion (although Celtic get a very honourable mention). I'd like to see Argentina win, as they have played the best football and it would really p*ss off the little Englanders.