PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Getting rid of Mankins = biggest mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsderoer

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Seriously.
Last season the Pats converted A LOT of 3rd downs by RUNNING the ball. Now that looks and is impossible.
They got rid of the inside mauler and now they cannnot establish the run game, they cannot convert 3rd downs by running the ball. Opponents play the pass on 3rd downs all day long, Pats cannot convert, cannot sustain drives, cannot control the clock, playaction is dead. The recipe for disaster.

Dallas took a inside mauler in the first round, now their OLine looks elite, went from average to elite, their RB gains 5 yards before he is even touched, he leads the league in running by a big margin. With an established run game, they sustain drives, control the clock, playaction works great, and just demolished the Saints the night before.

The Pats got rid of their inside mauler, and their offense went from elite to one of the worst in the league. They just got demolished because they couldn't sustain any drive until the game was well out of reach.
Getting rid of Mankins is the biggest mistake.

You can't run block when you are passing!

Getting rid of Mankins isn't the problem more it's not playing the guy you brought in as a part of the trade to play as the H-Back and leaving your best X WR in the stands as an apparently healthy scratch.

Mankins is arguably the best pull-guard in the league not to mention the heart and soul of our O-line (which is underrated to be honest) for many years. He was the tough guy.

Trading him was as stupid as it it was insulting (to him). The O-line wouldn't be light years better, but it certainly would be better. It is also obvious that there was no contingent plan as the o-line is being shuffled seemingly all game long.

Trading mankins was an enormous mistake.

You can't run block when you are passing!

Of course you can !!! Just block the guy in front of you and take him out of play.
Go watch some Pats wins from last season, see how many 3rd downs were converted by RUNNING the ball.

The exactly the same offense, with exactly the same people, went from one of the best to one of the worst. The only missing link? Mankins.

The only missing link? Mankins.
And the regression of every other player on the line in situations that are completely independent of who is playing next to them.

It's tough to pick one "biggest mistake" In recent years. There are too many big mistakes to choose from.

Getting rid of Mankins certainly didn't help no matter how some people here tried to spin it.

This OL right now needs toughness and leadership.

stupid to trade the heart and soul of our offense. we needed logan to help guide the young lineman.
as for wright, what the ****. he caught 50 passes with glennon but can't catch anything with brady. mccdaniels needs to slice the offense and half and make things simpler.

I'll be fine with the trade if Wright becomes a useful player on offense, just because of Mankins age and injuries. If this trade was nothing more than a salary dump, it's stupid in every way.

It's tough to pick one "biggest mistake" In recent years. There are too many big mistakes to choose from.

It's easy to pick this one as the biggest. The offense carried this team in recent years. And this offense looks completely shot right now. Gronk's reaction says it all. Ever seen him like this before?

1sbbro.jpg

Weren'r people complaining about his play/salary/penalty last season? I however agree. His replacements aren't up to par.

Last edited:
It's easy to pick this one as the biggest. The offense carried this team in recent years. And this offense looks completely shot right now. Gronk's reaction says it all. Ever seen him like this before?

Cutting loose of Welker, especially while also losing Lloyd because of attempted strong arm tactics
Drafting Tavon Wilson
Drafting Jamie Collins (because of the Wilson screw up)
Drafting Ryan Mallett
Drafting Kevin O'Connell
Drafting JAG
Trading Seymour without having adequate replacements
Cutting loose of both Meriweather and Sanders without having adequate replacements

Those are all huge mistakes, and I doubt I'd put the Mankins trade above the Welker/Lloyd duo, for one example.

If you just mean the biggest mistake so far this year, I'm with you on that.

Cutting loose of Welker, especially while also losing Lloyd because of attempted strong arm tactics
Drafting Tavon Wilson
Drafting Jamie Collins (because of the Wilson screw up)
Drafting Ryan Mallett
Drafting Kevin O'Connell
Drafting JAG
Trading Seymour without having adequate replacements
Cutting loose of both Meriweather and Sanders without having adequate replacements

Those are all huge mistakes, and I doubt I'd put the Mankins trade above the Welker/Lloyd duo, for one example.

If you just mean the biggest mistake so far this year, I'm with you on that.

All of those combined did not stop the Pats from a 12 win season (and #1 offense when Gronk was healthy). The same team without Mankins does not look in any way shape or form like a 12 win team(or as a #1 offense with a healthy Gronk).

All of those combined did not stop the Pats from a 12 win season (and #1 offense when Gronk was healthy). The same team without Mankins does not look in any way shape or form like a 12 win team(or as a #1 offense with a healthy Gronk).

The Mankins trade is not the only problem with this team right now. It's more of a case of being the straw breaking the camel's back. If we just undo one move, and Welker's here instead of Amendola, for example, the Patriots are likely either 3-1 or 4-0 right now.

The Mankins trade is not the only problem with this team right now. It's more of a case of being the straw breaking the camel's back. If we just undo one move, and Welker's here instead of Amendola, for example, the Patriots are likely either 3-1 or 4-0 right now.

Getting rid of Welker was another huge F-up. Can't blame Welker though, the "experts" claimed that he was "a product of the system", that Brady made him great, he probably wanted to prove that as a lie.

But the OLine has badly regressed without Mankins, so for me that is the biggest mistake.

Getting rid of Welker was another huge F-up. Can't blame Welker though, the "experts" claimed that he was "a product of the system", that Brady made him great, he probably wanted to prove that as a lie.

But the OLine has badly regressed without Mankins, so for me that is the biggest mistake.

I hear you. I don't agree with your ranking, but I think we're on the same basic page. Chickens have come home to roost. Now we're stuck hoping that things can be fixed.

What the hell happened from halftime of the Miami game on? During the first half of the opener, they threw at will, and put up 20 pts. Things looked just fine, and it seemed to be pointing towards another optimistic season.

Since then, the offense has completely sucked in every possible way. It seems weird to me.

The problem wasn't the run blocking. It was the lack of run plays and the run plays that were called.
And when run plays are called they go to Vereen who isn't a very good runner and always goes down from the first tackler if he can't outrun them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes