PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Get well soon, Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully he take the necessary time to fully recover; the team doesn't desperately need him now, but will come playoffs.

If he's right by the Texans game that'll be good.

Nasty hit.

Jules is a swiss army knife for the Pats. Gotta love his skillset. Get well soon and get your butt back into the game !!

Hey, you weren't called a loon by me! I was dubious of the claims, appalled by so many accepting the guilt as fact, as well as astonished by what some were trying to make the incident out to be. It would be nice if that incident ended up a teachable moment for those who rush to judgment......but it ain't likely.

My High School was having a dance or something (homecoming maybe?) and we had an assembly about how to behave and stuff like that, and the principal brought it up and I cleared my throat and interjected "allegedly."

Last edited:
Jules is a swiss army knife for the Pats. Gotta love his skillset. Get well soon and get your butt back into the game !!

He is a swiss army knife, as is Welker. But like Swiss Army Knives, there are different versions.. And that is what is so good about them.. They can do some of the same things, but they also can do things the other can't.

we are going to need Edelman while Gronk is out because he has become a reliable target for Brady with big play ability.

Is it known for certain that he even has a concussion? Maybe he just "got his bell rung" without it being a full concussion. Arrington got his bell rung and came back in in a few plays.

I wonder if it would make sense to take a guy with concussion like symptoms and have them put ice all over their skull to kind of cool their brain so it wouldn't swell....not a medical doctor obviously but it kind of makes sense.

Re: Julian Edelman Head Injury thread

Please tell me this is your Friday-post-Thanksgiving sarcasm....
Quite perceptive on your part...

I don't think getting your bell rung and leaving as a precaution for a concussion is particularly part of "building up a history of not being able to stay on the field". Hopefully Edelman will be back in 10 days, or at least in time for Houston.

It occurs to me that the idea of Edelman as a mini-Welker is really inaccurate. He is a very different play, with much more speed, deep threat ability, and open field breakaway capability. The guy who he reminds me of over the past 2 days is GB WR/KR Randall Cobb, one of my binkies in the 2011 draft, who was taken at #64 overall in the 2nd round.

Compare their measurables from NFL Draftscout:

- Cobb: 5' 10 2/8" 191#; 4.46 40, 1.56 10 yard split, 7.08 3-cone, 4.34 short shuttle; 33.5" vertical, 9'7" broad jump
- Edelmann: 5' 10 3/8" 195#; 4.52 40, 1.52 10 yard split, 6.62 3-cone, 3.92 short shuttle; 36.5" vertical, 10'3" broad jump

Edelman has had 172 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs over the past 2 games, plus 2 more ST TDs (one PR, one fumble recovery).

Meanwhile Shane Vereen has 184 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs of his own over the past 2 games. Imagine the offense at full strength when Gronk gets back, plus Hernandez, Welker, Edelman and Vereen/Ridley at RB, with Bolden/Woodhead for depth. And a healthy OL.

BJ Raji calls Cobb the 2nd most indispensible player on the Packers after Aaron Rodgers:

"Personally, there's only about two players on this team that I would say can't be replaced," Raji told Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter Bob McGinn. "Everybody else, this season has proven that we can win with certain guys out of position, myself included. You look Aaron (Rodgers) and maybe like Randall (Cobb) are probably the only two guys we need out there. He's our version of Percy Harvin, man."

Cobb broke out during his sophomore campaign after coach Mike McCarthy decided to feature him in a Harvin-type package. He lines up out wide, in the slot and in the backfield. Cobb takes handoffs, catches screens and can run the 9 route. He also returns kickoffs and punts. Greg Jennings' injury also provided more opportunities for the former Kentucky quarterback.

That has led to 574 receiving yards and seven touchdowns, 115 rushing yards, a 26.1 kickoff return average and a punt returned for a score. He also leads the Packers with 54 receptions.

Aaron Rodgers, Randall Cobb most important Packers? - NFL.com

I had forgotten that Cobb, like Edelman, was a former QB. Edelman's production is about 40% of Cobb's (20 receptions for 222 yards and 3 TD, 45 yards rushing, 1 PR for a TD and 1 ST TD). But he's also missed 3 games and isn't featured in the offense the way Cobb is. The skill set is quite similar.

BJ Raji calls Cobb the 2nd most indispensible player on the Packers after Aaron Rodgers:

I had forgotten that Cobb, like Edelman, was a former QB. Edelman's production is about 40% of Cobb's (20 receptions for 222 yards and 3 TD, 45 yards rushing, 1 PR for a TD and 1 ST TD). But he's also missed 3 games and isn't featured in the offense the way Cobb is. The skill set is quite similar.

Yeah, Cobb was a QB at Kentucky, but much like some of the more versatile/less prolific passers such as the current UM QB Dennard Robinson (before injury), many were not expecting him to actually be drafted as a QB.

Edelman flew under the radar, whereas Cobb did not, but regardless of all that you are certainly correct in comparing their skillsets.

I still question those who saw Edelman as being "on the bubble" this summer due to about 10 different reasons, and I really think that Belichick will keep him heading forward. He is the kind of lower end roster player (we say that, but there's a good chance that Belichick may not have had him in the 48-53 man range) that Bill Belichick will constantly have on his team, and he may indeed very well be a much bigger part of the offense moving forward, sans the Welker situation altogether.

Is it known for certain that he even has a concussion? Maybe he just "got his bell rung" without it being a full concussion. Arrington got his bell rung and came back in in a few plays.

I wonder if it would make sense to take a guy with concussion like symptoms and have them put ice all over their skull to kind of cool their brain so it wouldn't swell....not a medical doctor obviously but it kind of makes sense.

Obviously we'll know a lot more towards the end of next week, but I would guess that they will at least consider keeping him out of the MIA game despite the official diagnosis just due to the blow itself. That's just my guess of course, and as you said he could end up being fine for next weekend. I just think that at this point in the season Belichick tends to do a very good job in managing many of the injuries by approaching them on the cautious side.

We could get by without him for another game, but he'll offer some importance for the next 2 after that.

Practicing on a limited participation would certainly be a step in the right direction for the end of next week, regardless of whether he plays in the MIA game or not.

Head injuries/concussions are a tricky thing. It could be as little as you stated with Arrington all the way to the Sidney Crosby situation--with Mike Wright in-between. I think it all depends on the symptoms that he lacks or has during the next week or two.

No.

If you're talking the Jets game, Arrington hit the WR's helmet with his shoulder pad. His head was not affetced.

Last edited:
1. We will get a good indication of Edelman's health when we see if the Pats bring in any WRs for workouts on Monday. If there is no one brought in, it is likely that he will be fine for the Phins.

2. The decision on his health is now in the league's hands, or at least the league's concussion protocols. He will have to pass a series of tests before he is cleared to practice or play.

3. I have been a very lonely member of the Julian Edelman bandwagon. Its nice to see some love come his way. The irrational hate he has received here has been near akin to being anti-semitic in nature....... if he actually was Jewish ;)

4. Edelman is a very valuable player who fills a lot of slots on the roster both in the offense and on multiple special teams, not just punt returns. Along with Volmer and Welker he has moved into the top 3 of the FA resignings that the Pats have to make. Unfortunately Edelman has raised his profile high enough to now be on a number of team's radars.

Who wouldn't want a player who can be explosive WR, elite PR, who can also play on KO coverage, punt Coverage, and DB in an emergency How valuable is a player THAT versatile to a roster.

5. Mayo's stat line comparing Edelman and Cobb was very revealing. Aside from straight line speed, Edelman was quicker and more explosive in every other metric.

6. Its great to know that his skills allow him to co-exist with Welker, but we still have to deal with the undeniable fact that there is only so much money available to WRs on this team. Right now we have about $10MM allotted for Edelman and Welker. The question is, can we keep both for that same price.

I think Edelman's explosion and veratility has earned him a salary in the range of at least $3-4MM at the age of 26. Will Welker stay for $6-7?.....at the age of 32

7. And if the answer is you can only keep one, which do you choose. Its not an easy answer. Versatility, explosion, potential and youth...VS....production,. reliability, durability, and age. Like I said, not any easy solution.

Last edited:

Can Cobb play CB like Edelman?

1. We will get a good indication of Edelman's health when we see if the Pats bring in any WRs for workouts on Monday. If there is no one brought in, it is likely that he will be fine for the Phins.

2. The decision on his health is now in the league's hands, or at least the league's concussion protocols. He will have to pass a series of tests before he is cleared to practice or play.

3. I have been a very lonely member of the Julian Edelman bandwagon. Its nice to see some love come his way. The irrational hate he has received here has been near akin to being anti-semitic in nature....... if he actually was Jewish ;)

4. Edelman is a very valuable player who fills a lot of slots on the roster both in the offense and on multiple special teams, not just punt returns. Along with Volmer and Welker he has moved into the top 3 of the FA resignings that the Pats have to make. Unfortunately Edelman has raised his profile high enough to now be on a number of team's radars.

Who wouldn't want a player who can be explosive WR, elite PR, who can also play on KO coverage, punt Coverage, and DB in an emergency How valuable is a player THAT versatile to a roster.

5. Mayo's stat line comparing Edelman and Cobb was very revealing. Aside from straight line speed, Edelman was quicker and more explosive in every other metric.

6. Its great to know that his skills allow him to co-exist with Welker, but we still have to deal with the undeniable fact that there is only so much money available to WRs on this team. Right now we have about $10MM allotted for Edelman and Welker. The question is, can we keep both for that same price.

I think Edelman's explosion and veratility has earned him a salary in the range of at least $3-4MM at the age of 26. Will Welker stay for $6-7?.....at the age of 32

7. And if the answer is you can only keep one, which do you choose. Its not an easy answer. Versatility, explosion, potential and youth...VS....production,. reliability, durability, and age. Like I said, not any easy solution.

As far as Edelman's contract situation, I was thinking something closer to the 2.5--3 million range myself...max--but we'll have to see what the future brings. I definitely think that Belichick wants him here as part of the future, and I don't think it has as much to do with Welker's situation as some think.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the team offer Welker something rather close to what they offered him this summer, in the likes of 2 yrs/16 million on average (hear me out).

The difference would be that there would be a nice signing bonus and a relatively average cap hit in my opinion. I also don't think that the guaranteed money would be nearly as high this time, some of that due to another year of age, some of it due to the 10 million guaranteed he received this year. While that may not be "fair" on some level, it may be closer to the truth.

He certainly isn't likely to receive 16 million guaranteed this time around, but the difference in that is that it could potentially be a middle ground between the 2 sides. They could offer the same 2 year deal, with a lessened amount of guaranteed money. That may work for both sides, but I will let more of those who claim to be cap experts debate that issue.

My understanding is that he is not Jewish. It's come up before. I've gone toe-to-toe with JE doubters for a long time and have always considered him a very valuable and under-appreciated player. I have never gotten the slightest sense that any of the criticism and/or doubt about his abilities have been related to his suspected enthnicity. Maybe I'm naive, but I would never suspect that of any poster I've ever read on this board. Once again, just my opinion.

Maybe Deion will be called back...for a few weeks.

Can Cobb play CB like Edelman?

Can Edelman play WR like Cobb? Randall Cobb has been arguably the Packers best player this season, it's ridiculous to compare him to Julian Edelman.

I can understand the early criticism of Edelman in terms of receiving ability. He hadn't been productive for a couple of years, maybe for good reason IDK. It's nice to see him doing well, I hope he can be a consistant option in this O for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back