PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Get to know Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Julian Edleman - kick returner

If he makes the roster, it will be as a kick returner. He is not equipped to be on the field in our championship offense in any other role.

Julian Edleman - kick returner

If he makes the roster, it will be as a kick returner. He is not equipped to be on the field in our championship offense in any other role.

Left Tackle?

With so much discussion about this guy I decided to blog about him and his comparison to Pat White.

Let's just not get too excited before he shows us something on an NFL field.
As your stats demonstrate, Edelman was NOT drafted to be a QB, which is why NE sent his name in as a "WR." Now, if people would be so kind as to cleanse their minds of the STUPID idea of a "wildcat," anything that takes the ball out of Tommy Brady's hands is a goat kissing folly.

If Edelman can put in the time with the Juggs machine and work on keeping his balance in and out of his cuts, he could develop into a nice weapon for NE.

I don't know, it's not like Pennington was out there by himself when he was split out. There was always a CB on him. Pennington was nullifying a defender anyways, so why not use that defender to be physical with him within 5 yards? I hope some does that next year when the Phins go into WildCat formation.

Your suggestion would not work in practice. Let's say you're a DB lined up 2 yards off of Penny. The whistle blows. Penny just stands there. You're going to take a running start and deck him? Good luck avoiding a 15 yd penalty and probable fine on that one...

Great thread, very interesting discussion.

But there's one question not raised. Paging Patjew ... Well, is he? :D

Great thread, very interesting discussion.

But there's one question not raised. Paging Patjew ... Well, is he? :D

According to PFVA, he is:

Rd 7, Pick 232, Julian Edelman, WTF, Kent State Ohhhhhhh strategic blunder! They obviously thought Sammie Stroughter would still be there at 234! Curse you, Baltimore! Curse you! Yanking your chain of course, I have no idea who he is either. Edelman, however, is another swiss army knife to pitch into the drawer of swiss army knives that are the hallmark of Pats' drafts. It's like the Klingon or the Vulcan on a Star Trek show. You have to have one "special character" in each draft that has sixteen different skill sets, none of them particularly well developed. Wait, I know, he can steal away the QB position from Brady! No, he can steal away a WR spot from Joey Galloway, Randy Moss, or Wes Welker! No I know, he can be our version of the Wildcat offense dude morphed for passing instead of running, until fifteen minutes from now when all defenses figure out how to Wildcat-proof themselves. But I have to confess to pulling for this guy on ethnic grounds. The kid could be the next Sage Rosenfels or Jay Fiedler. Except I could shep nacches for those guys from a distance. Eh well. Chances are the same will be true of Edelman by August (Julian calendar, of course). If Miami still knows what's good for their gate, BB gets a 3 out of them in 2010 for this guy by the time training camp's over. Julian, we hardly knew ya. Grade: Gimel

Oh, that's what that meant! ;) Thanks.

If Julian proves me wrong, GREAT ! I hope he kicks some major butt in TC and becomes some freak of nature... but I'd guess he won't and I'd just feel better with Tommy
You realize that Edelman isn't competing against Brady, right? He isn't a QB any more. WR/RB/ST.

Can he set the edge at OLB? There's an opening there.....

But seriously, WR, PR, RB on passing downs, QB in practice in the WC offense for the defense to practice against.... Sounds like he can help in a lot of areas....

Yeah, but basically the Wildcat is just an offense with a very mobile quarterback that adds another dimension to defend. The Patriots have done fine against the Wildcat other than that first game, and have typically done very well against very mobile quarterbacks (Michael Vick, Kordell, etc, etc, etc)
I think that a lot of the Wildcat hype this past year is from the media that either doesn't really understand that it's not like turbo in a video game, or is simply enamored with it because it's fun to say. They bring it up and talk about it like it's ridiculously complex and magical, but it isn't. The Pats lost the game last year because they got blown away on both lines of scrimmage by more highly motivated linemen, and then on top of that they forgot how to tackle. The fact that Ronnie Brown got the handoff directly instead of having it handed to him doesn't really change the situation in the trenches and not tackling that game.
I think that watching Pat White run quarterback (sucks that it will be for the Dolphins, though) will be fun because he's a proven winner with great success at QUARTERBACK in college, not just some mystical Wildcat.

Great Coaches from Pop Warner through Knute Rockne, Curly Lambeau, and including Papa Halas, based the Offenses on the single wing for 5 decades. Calling it the Wildcat is merely affixing a new name to an old, basic Offense. To really make it go you need a triple threat Tailback, who can run, pass, and control the Offense.

Pat White, and Julian Edelman sound like genuine triple threats. Pat White is the better passer, but it appears that Edelman is the better runner, and receiver. The Single wing was eclipsed by the T formation and the so-called pro Offense. In any case, we have the players to add an occasional threat from the single wing, forcing teams to spend time preparing for it. Miami sprung it on unprepared teams and won three or four games before the opponents were coached up to defend the single wing. Then it stopped being very effective.

Let's hope WE NEVER EVER find out if he lives up to the hype ! Let's hope TFB and the "traditional offense" stays on the field 100% of all snaps unless the Patriots are up by 31+ in the 4th quarter.

Julian = fun for preseason.

What about as a receiver? He's supposedly better than Cribbs and his numbers are as good or better than Wes Welker's coming out of college. If he can get that sort of separation... then I could see the Pats alternating him and Welker on the short and intermediate routes. Not to mention the sort of razzle-dazzle plays like the Wildcat and the WR Option that it opens up for the Pats.

I love this kid. My only concern is his durability.

I don't think his body will hold up in the pros.

I hope I'm wrong.

Your suggestion would not work in practice. Let's say you're a DB lined up 2 yards off of Penny. The whistle blows. Penny just stands there. You're going to take a running start and deck him? Good luck avoiding a 15 yd penalty and probable fine on that one...

Do you think about the scenarios you post before throwing up garbage like potential fines and flags?

First off, you are talking 2 yards. You can't get much of a running start and take a guy off his feet the way they do in wrestling. Secondly, If Pennington is lined out wide he's fair game as long as he's facing you. You can't hit him in the back or helmet, but otherwise, once the ball is snapped, he's fair game until the whistle blows. There wouldn't be any penalty or fine for leveling him because of the 5 yard rule.

I love this kid. My only concern is his durability.

I don't think his body will hold up in the pros.

I hope I'm wrong.

He's 5'10 3/8" tall and 195. Why do you think that he doesn't have the body to hold up in the pros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes