PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Get Ready for Pats vs Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.
If BB can somehow find a way to control Walker and Smith we have a chance. I don't like the NBC/Sat night thing at all. Bad omens abound.
The Snowbowl/Tuck Rule game was on Saturday night. To me, that game alone trumps any other Saturday night horrors, which were what, again? Was that game also on NBC? Look at the Oakland defenders in the picture. "That didn't happen".
1136936073_8417.jpg

Ugh. The one team I didn't want to see again. Well, this is a different Bronco team from the last time so hopefully we exact some revenge against these clowns in Foxboro this time.

Make no mistake - this is still a team with major problems on both sides of the ball (I'm referring to the Broncos, of course!). Should we face them in the first round (as now appears likely) they will bear no resemblence to the team we faced in week 3.

When Denver has the ball, we must control the point of attack (i.e., the line). All else will flow from that. BB will be up to his usual tricks with regard to confusing the rookie QB, but it behooves us to plan and defend carefully on the influence play rollout. Cutler executes that better than Jake ever did.

The running game is always a concern, of course, but this is clearly not the backfield that Denver has enjoyed in seasons past. Shut down that run, and force the kid to strut his stuff.

An above poster correctly noted Rod Smith's declining influence in the passing game, but Walker does remain a stickler for our defensive backfield. The antidote for this is to maintain quick and constant pressure with a collapsing pocket, and not allowing plays of any consequence time to develop.

When the Patriots have the ball, the keys are to maintain the run and pound at the line throughout the game, as this will pay big dividends come the 4th quarter, and to stretch the field at opportune times to put pressure on those DBs. What really needs to be done, to obviate blitzes from Mr. Lynch, is to call for crosses or quick slants in the zone that Lynch has just abandoned a couple of times early on. That will stop that blitz in it's tracks.

Denver is still a good team, but on a decline. The need to plug a number of holes on both offense and defense and especially Special Teams in the off-season.

It's important to note that, even after this modest winning streak, it's not so much they are winning the games, as the opposing teams are losing them.

A win against San Fran on Sunday is most assuredly not a given!

jets scare me more because of what mangini knows about our team inside out...so if its denver so it be..

payback to Denver !

My fav scenario would see us redeem ourselves against both Denver and the NYJ. Possible but extremely unlikely. Were we to beat Denver in the wildcard, and the Jets make the 6 seed, we could only play them in the AFC Championship game after we beat SD in SD. :)

Again I dont like the thought of being on NBC and playing either Denver or even the Jets.. Something about both teams that just does not bode well for us..

I wonder what it is? Oh yeah this. :rolleyes:

Halberstam had a stat in his book, I think, about Belichick in second chance games in a season. He was like 14-0 at the time the book was written, although after last year, I suppose it's now 14-1, and the 1 was Denver.

Bring 'em on. Gotta beat someone to win the superbowl.

Halberstam had a stat in his book, I think, about Belichick in second chance games in a season. He was like 14-0 at the time the book was written, although after last year, I suppose it's now 14-1, and the 1 was Denver.
That was when the same QB started both games, this wouldn't apply with Plummer and Cutler starting one each. Regardless I do think we will (would) win this one.

It's time to exercise the demons...I want to face Denver, not because they are an elite team but because they are in our head, get em out and you will see some big time confidence infused into this team...my two cents...dosen't Chump Bailey's INT seem like yesterday, I would love to Brady pick him apart, even though there is a chance they may not even meet....

Bahhhhhhhh

This might be the toughest game in the Pats road to the SB. They have always had issues with Denver. Even when the backup QB was playing for Denver the Pats needed some desperate measures in order to win that Monday nighter.

Jay Cutler might be a rookie, but he can throw the long ball much better than Plummer ever could. Asante can't look into the backfield and let Walker run by him. Also he loves to throw to his tight ends. Can the Pats effectively cover the TE's and stop the run at the same time? Will he be confused by BB's scheme in his 1st playoff game?

Also despite what the talking heads say, the Donkees running game is still one of the best in the league. They are #6 in rushing yards! The Pats are tough against the run, but the availablitiy of Wilfork is still in question and untill they "figure out" the zone blocking scheme this still is an area of concern.

Champ Bailey is the best corner in the league. The Pats recievers are average IMO. The Pats don't have a Reggie Wayne in order to exploit the other Donkees corners.

The special teams edge would go to the Pats but now with no punter this may be a wash. The Broncos ST have been a weakness that the Pats hopefully can exploit, but if Steroidbrun can't punt his way out of a box then this may be an even match-up.

The lack of a pass rush for the Donkees this season will be be the the Pats favor. But do they go blitz crazy with the safeties since they don't fear our lack of deep threat? I look for a similar game plan that they had last season in order to make-up for the lack of pressure from the front 4. Can Brady and his receivers and Maroney in particular take advantage of this? Have these receivers learned when to cut their routes short? Will they call a bunch of screens to negate the blitz?

Believe it or not the biggest factor in this game may be homefield. I don't expect the officials to make multiple blatant calls for the Donkees like they did last season. And if you think that was a fluke, try watching the Cincy-Donkees game from last week. Even if the zebras call and even game this helps the Pats.

Just some quick thoughts.

Beating Denver would only make this SB championship all that much sweeter. Brady has to be hoping for this pairing to exorcise the Baily horror. I'm not worried about Denver this time. Pats are on the way up and peaking now. Perfect.

Denver will beat San Fran, the Jets are just about in , and the Broncos will not lose to San Fran.. Colts should beat Miami, Miami showed me nothing tonight.. That leaves us as the fourth seed, and I see us playing this game like the Miami game last yr.. Which leads us to some people , including mine worst nightmere a date with Denver, and it might be on NBC that sat nite to boot, another double whammy.. As much as that Jax win was sweet, cincy and miami winning would have been nicer, but like someone says to beat the best you got to play the best bring on the broncs..

I hear you. I'm tired of this Bronco "thing" we've had going on and imo it's gotten into our guys' heads too-especially Brady. The Broncs have a rookie QB and they're not having a stellar year either. This would be a good time to get that monkey off our backs. If we lose again though,that mindset is just going to get worse. If we get the Broncs,so be it. We need to beat them and this could be the better year to do it.:woohoo:

The Pats are going to have their hands full with Denver. Denver

was playing lousy early in the year and came to Foxboro and easily beat

the Pats. Jay Cutler may be a rookie but is an improvement over

Jake Plummer.

jets scare me more because of what mangini knows about our team inside out...so if its denver so it be..

I think we'd beat the Jets this time,however good point about Mangini. He scares me also. ESPN was just now arguing him for Coach Of The Year-the alternative choice was Sean Payton. Argument for Mangini was that he built a team around a QB,and how he has no real stars but instead uses the "team approach",and the scariest part of all was how he's been able to instill the expectation of winning into a team who had the expectation of losing. By using a very rigid schedule and demanding hard work,he's taught the team that all the hard work and dedication pays off. Sound familiar? A little too familiar for my comfyness :eek:

This might be the toughest game in the Pats road to the SB. They have always had issues with Denver. Even when the backup QB was playing for Denver the Pats needed some desperate measures in order to win that Monday nighter.

Jay Cutler might be a rookie, but he can throw the long ball much better than Plummer ever could. Asante can't look into the backfield and let Walker run by him. Also he loves to throw to his tight ends. Can the Pats effectively cover the TE's and stop the run at the same time? Will he be confused by BB's scheme in his 1st playoff game?

Also despite what the talking heads say, the Donkees running game is still one of the best in the league. They are #6 in rushing yards! The Pats are tough against the run, but the availablitiy of Wilfork is still in question and untill they "figure out" the zone blocking scheme this still is an area of concern.

Champ Bailey is the best corner in the league. The Pats recievers are average IMO. The Pats don't have a Reggie Wayne in order to exploit the other Donkees corners.

The special teams edge would go to the Pats but now with no punter this may be a wash. The Broncos ST have been a weakness that the Pats hopefully can exploit, but if Steroidbrun can't punt his way out of a box then this may be an even match-up.

The lack of a pass rush for the Donkees this season will be be the the Pats favor. But do they go blitz crazy with the safeties since they don't fear our lack of deep threat? I look for a similar game plan that they had last season in order to make-up for the lack of pressure from the front 4. Can Brady and his receivers and Maroney in particular take advantage of this? Have these receivers learned when to cut their routes short? Will they call a bunch of screens to negate the blitz?

Believe it or not the biggest factor in this game may be homefield. I don't expect the officials to make multiple blatant calls for the Donkees like they did last season. And if you think that was a fluke, try watching the Cincy-Donkees game from last week. Even if the zebras call and even game this helps the Pats.

Just some quick thoughts.

I'm very optimistic about a rematch to exorcize the demons. Bailey will negate whomever he covers but his talent is pissed away covering Reche who's really a #2. I think the Pats will be clever enuf to concede that coverage and exploit other opportunities. I do not expect another 5 turnovers by the Pats plus a blatant PI bullcrap call.

The Snowbowl/Tuck Rule game was on Saturday night. To me, that game alone trumps any other Saturday night horrors, which were what, again? Was that game also on NBC? Look at the Oakland defenders in the picture. "That didn't happen".
1136936073_8417.jpg

Negative. NBC was out of the NFL business at the time of the Tuck Rule game. We haven't played well on NBC this year against the Colts and Broncos. But it is what it is. Being the supersticious type, it's uncomfortable.

Smith hasnt been that good all year long, its been Marshall, Sheff and Walker who own teams latley.

True, but Smith has been a notorious Patriot killer his entire career. That's why he was mentioned and the others were not.

1999,2000,2003 wins over Denver.

I like our DB right now with Mickens and Rodney. Chad Brown's size makes a good rotation at CB and Artrell and Rodney and Sanders is 2 great vets and some athleticism.

Noticed Mickens found BB after the jax game and looked like a kid that got just what he wanted for Christmas.

I'm telling you, I'm seeing a personality develop on this team. They look like they're having fun and working hard. Much crisper and focused.

That Weird Drew play sucked, but did you notice they practically used wrestling holds on every tackle after that?

And TBC was the leading tackler.

I think the pass rush of TBC and Colvin must improve. this is one area where we miss Mcginest and the years are showing a little on Tedy.

Of course we'll get the "exhausted Oline" sacks because of our great front three, but some early pressure would help.

The 2003 game in Denver was a classic. To me, that game is the pefect illustration of the difficulty the Pats have had with Denver. Intentional safety, a defensive stand and Brady hits Givens for a TD with less than 20 seconds left to beat the Danny Kannell led-Broncos. Easily one of my fav. regular season wins in the BB era, but still a brutally tough night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots