PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gerry Callahan really ticked me off this morning..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pattie

On the Roster
Reaction score
Listening to WEEI this morning he was complaining about Belichick not being willing to answer one "appropriate" non-football related question from Steve Buckley for his column. Gerry intimated that the fans "want" to know this kind of "innocent" stuff. Um...no Gerry we don't need to know or care to know what he thinks of Mangini as a coach. So long as Belichick continues to beat other organizations to death with that big brain of his I don't care if he *ever* answers a question from you or your brothers in the media. And, honestly, how is this different from the way Belichick has been since day one? He hasn't changed it just makes it difficult for the media to get a "hook" with which to work a storyline with. And besides which Belichick has been burned badly before by the media in both Cleveland and New York. Remember the headline in NY Post (I believe it was) "Belichicken". And here, in New England, Borges has been trying to backstab him since day one in his ongoing one man war against the coach. Sure it makes it more difficult a job for the media but I don't give a flying who-hah how *their* job is going so long as Belichick is coaching NE. So Gerry, in a nutshell, shut the heck up. Don't compare Belichick to Mangini because he's not. His experiences with the media have taught him caution (remember Tom Jackson's "they hate their coach" quote?) and who can blame him.?:p

Last edited:
I heard it too. What got me was that a caller said basically the same thing you did, Pattie, and JC replied with, "Well can't he do both? Parcells won games and gave good quotes." The truth of the matter is, it is all in the personality. Tuna could get away with it, BB is not comfortable doing that. He has his soft side, his family side. However he does not let emotions, family, etc intermingle with his football/professional side. Too many problems are caused that way. If you asked him 30 years from now about his relationship with EM, I'm sure BB would tell you the truth. However at this precise moment in time, BB does not see fit to share that information and who the hell is Jerry Callahan to insist that he does?

It really is amazing that with one of the best dynasties the sports world has ever seen, it seems the Boston media is unable to just enjoy it and unwilling to let US enjoy it either.

They would actually probably be happier with a franchise with more to pick apart and second guess. BB has exposed them to be less relevant than the media thinks they are.

BradfordPatsFan said:
However at this precise moment in time, BB does not see fit to share that information and who the hell is Jerry Callahan to insist that he does?

Exactly! He called Belichick "arrogant" well all geniuses carry a certain amount of that by their very nature, but Belichick has very good reasons for being cautious with the media. He doesn't trust them because, by the very nature of their job, it's to stir the pot, create controversy, do columns. Belichick refuses to feed the monster and, as I said, with very good reasons. Besides which trying to make him into Parcells is a mistake. Parcell's ego needs to be stroked by "attention" and he revels in it while Belichick by his very nature is a more reserved personality. Gerry is wrong, wrong, wrong to demand that Belichick change into something he's not for the perceived benefits to the "fans" which is a crock of you-know-what. Quit the whining Gerry.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Gr8est said:
It really is amazing that with one of the best dynasties the sports world has ever seen, it seems the Boston media is unable to just enjoy it and unwilling to let US enjoy it either.

And what's worse Gerry and his crowd are taking that stand in "our" name i.e. the fans in taking Belichick to task. What a moron! Do we give a damn if Belichick never speaks another word again? No. So long as he coaches our team as he does now with the best interests of the team in mind long term. That third Lombardi trophy won't be our last if Belichick has anything to do with it. So back off media and quit hasseling the hc.:mad:

I can't listen to that station anymore, they all drive me crazy...

Here's whats amazing to me. The Patriots, other than one or two seasons in the 70's and 80's, were arguably the worst franchise in football. Kraft comes along, keeps the team in MA, hires BB and SP, win THREE SUPER BOWLS and these guys act like they are a .500 team. They give them ZERO respect. You want to talk about people being negative. It starts with these talking head spewing their venom!

If we look back in three years and see that we were more pretender than contender, then by all means criticize their way of doing things. Until then, shut the F up!!!

BTW, a lot of these guys give Tito Francona the benefit of the doubt because he's a nice guy and talks to the media.

Jerry should move to Kansas City--the coach there will give him plenty of sound bites.

The mistake you made was listening to begin with.

Belichick is never going to do the touchy-feely thing. It just isn't his way.

Patti, you nailed it. There must be some media cabal out to destroy the Pats. I think it may represent the Boston psyche, they just can't handle good fortune and always look for the cracks in the wall.

deeds said:
If we look back in three years and see that we were more pretender than contender, then by all means criticize their way of doing things. Until then, shut the F up!!!
QUOTE]

Agreed. BB/SP have built a lot of good will up with the fans in NE. If, for instance, in the next ten year period they struggle and don't reach the SB well maybe then you've got a right to take them to task but, in the meantime, give them the credit due and stop nitpicking. God, that makes me crazy.

I think fans would like to know the answers to a lot of the questions but don't really care that they don't.

I'd like to know what BB thinks of Mangini but it doesn't bother me for even 10 sconds that he doesn't want to answer that question.

NE39 said:
Belichick is never going to do the touchy-feely thing. It just isn't his way.

The fans get that and don't even bother looking for touchy-feely but I think Borge's major snit began when Belichick refused to treat the media with kid gloves and answer all of their leading, nonsensical questions. Too bad for them but don't tell us that it's (this pushing of the HC for answers) that the "fans want to know" this stuff. That's an outright lie. This is the way Belichick handles his team and that's his basic personality. Deal with it Gerry.:rolleyes:

dhamz said:
I think fans would like to know the answers to a lot of the questions but don't really care that they don't.

I'd like to know what BB thinks of Mangini but it doesn't bother me for even 10 sconds that he doesn't want to answer that question.

That's it exactly. With the fans it's more idle curiousity at best. But if it means making the coach uncomfortable/ill at ease would any of us really want that? Of course not. Let Belichick live in his office, stay OT studying film, have a kazillion meetings with Pioli over the next draft etc. That's what he does best and I, for one, want to leave him in peace to do his job.:D

I think Belichick DOES give his opinions to the press, if they would just listen! Didn't he say the other day that he cheers for his friends in the college ranks (Charlie Weis and the guy at Fresno State), but in the NFL he never cheers for the competition? That's the answer Gerry! What do they think he's going to say about Mangini? He obviously thinks he's a good coach - Mangini worked his way up the BB tree for years. How does BB (or anyone else) know if EM's a good NFL coach? He's only coached ONE game!! BB handles the press just right and he must crack up behind the scenes about all their wining!!

deeds said:

Here's whats amazing to me. The Patriots, other than one or two seasons in the 70's and 80's, were arguably the worst franchise in football. Kraft comes along, keeps the team in MA, hires BB and SP, win THREE SUPER BOWLS and these guys act like they are a .500 team. They give them ZERO respect. You want to talk about people being negative. It starts with these talking head spewing their venom!

p8ryts said:
Patti, you nailed it. There must be some media cabal out to destroy the Pats. I think it may represent the Boston psyche, they just can't handle good fortune and always look for the cracks in the wall.
It's not just the media. As Deeds said, we are in Glory Years with the Patriots and seem unable to disperse a dark cloud of pessimism. All those years when we sucked, we still had the wait until next year feeling, and every draft brought new hope for the new season. Now it seems most fans think hope = homerism, and counter every optimistic thought with, "Rookie X has done nothing in the NFL yet" and "Free agent Y has done nothing with the Patriots yet." The player's worst stats are singled out and gloomed over.

Sure the media pushes this crap, but who can blame them? They are talking to the majority of Pats fans, who refuse to feel good until there is "proof" that the Pats will be okay, and accept nothing but past performance as proof.

We have had winning seasons for five straight years. We have won three superbowls, and been to the playoffs four of those five years (and the fifth we lost the division on the third tiebreaker).

We should be in absolute pigskin heaven and light-headed about our football future. All along the way, BB has done things we questioned at the time, but later acknowledged was a good thing. When BB did was phenomenal. He took a team of average talent composed mostly of Vet min FAs, and won a Superbowl. He won two superbowls with teams with so many injuries that they set records for number of different starters.

So when BB does something, do we say, "He's been right so far." No, we carp and complain. And if anyone does dare to say, "He's been right so far" then Donald Hayes/Steve Martin and Monty Beisel/Chad Brown are held up as examples of failures. BB deserves to be criticized because he didn't win the superbowl every year?

Callahan and Felger are simply feeding into Patsfans need not to "wear rose-colored glasses" and "be objective" and see the worst in everything. As the great philospher Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

brady2brown said:
Sure the media pushes this crap, but who can blame them? They are talking to the majority of Pats fans, who refuse to feel good until there is "proof" that the Pats will be okay, and accept nothing but past performance as proof.

As the great philospher Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

I personally think that Pat's fans have no reason to feel that way either. It's really a carry over effect from dealing with the Red Sox. We just can't let go of the "fear factor" that it'll all disappear down the drain in a second. Listen to some of "idiot nation" calling in and screaming that the "sky is falling" because Branch moved on. The same ones that probably said that when Milloy left, Law left, etc. etc. Look, let's be realistic, we *aren't* going to win the Lombardi trophy every year. That's *impossible* but Belichick/Pioli will work their butts off to keep us in the running every darn year. So let's take a deep collective breath and think in the "long" term rather than if we don't win this year we *never* will again. That's just a defeatist attitude.:rolleyes:

I think its media sour grapes. Their just angry that they're reporters who have nothing to report. I'm sure the Boston reporters have friends in other cities covering other football teams and their quote and soundbite well is never dry. I'll be honest. I never listen to a BB interview on WEEI or anywhere else because he never says anything and speaks in a boring monotone. Could he be nicer to the media? Sure, but it's not in his contract. And it's been this way since he arrived in NE! This is nothing new. As long as the Pats keep winning, the only statements BB needs to make are on the football field. End of story...

Last edited:
Pattie said:
And here, in New England, Borges has been trying to backstab him since day one in his ongoing one man war against the coach.

One man war ? Borges is the Baghdad Bob of sports journalism.

ronborges.jpg
Baghdad%20Bob.th.jpg

R

Last edited:
oldskool138 said:
And it's been this way since he arrived in NE! This is nothing new. As long as the Pats keep winning, the only statements BB needs to make are on the football field. End of story...

As someone pointed out if they want sound bites why not go to Herm Edwards? He's a friendly guy and will give you *plenty* but would we want him as our HC? Bleep NO! I really can't feel sorry for the media who aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. That's the way the man is and he's not going to change for you!:p

oldskool138 said:
I never listen to a BB interview on WEEI or anywhere else because he never says anything and speaks in a boring monotone.

I would disagree. Ask BB the right question and he will give you a great answer. I loved his answer that broke down the various alignments with Tampa 2. It was informative, if not completely well organized.

If they would stick to football questions. Ignore the personality questions. Ask questions about schemes and formations, and you will get great answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back