Welcome to PatsFans.com

Germany WC soccer: 4th finals

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by italian pat patriot, Jun 28, 2006.

1. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

and now it is the 'serious' time...

the 4th finals are coming next friday and saturday

the games are:
    Germany-Argentina
    Italy-Ukraina
    England-Portugal
    Brazil-France

2. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Germany-Argentina and Brazil-France are great match-ups -- each would be a worthy final. I think that Italy must be very heavy favourites vs. Ukraine. I have England-Portugal pretty even (especially if there is a problem with Ronaldo).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2005
  3. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

i agree with you.

for the rest let's hope we will see some good games because till now...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  4. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +711 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Congratulations to the Germans. I had a sneaking feeling that they would come through and they did -- just. I think that they more or less deserved to win.

Argentina had a bit more possession but -- their goal from the corner apart -- they didn't do a great deal of damage. The German goal was the best move of the match, in my opinion. They knew that time was running out and they had to increase their tempo, but they still played patient, intelligent football. That move showed it -- it was the one really beautiful bit of football in the afternoon.

And congratulations too to the Italians. They didn't have to try too hard. I didn't watch much of the match, but the little bit I saw suggested that Italy will have some energy for the semi-final.

Another excellent match-up. Likely to be defensive, perhaps -- but two very strong and tough teams. Another penalty shoot-out?

My best guess now is that it will be a replay of 2002: Germany-Brazil in the Final. But (unless Ballack is really seriously injured) I think that the result this time might be different.

5. desi-patsfan

desi-patsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

i think it will be a Italy - Brazil final. Brazil will win but it will be a great game.

6. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

nice game from Azzurri - a 3-0 unexpected and now...again and again a 'soccer classic game' in semi-finals : IT-DE !

nice memories for us: 1970, 1982...

but this time it will be hard to win there...

50-50

and now the last two games: England-Portugal and this evening Brazil-France.

but...we are waiting tueday now...

7. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +711 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Portugal and France go through

Congratulations (through gritted teeth) to Portugal. May all your dives earn you yellow cards and all your whining be ignored.

Sincere congratulations to France. In their first game they were completely lacklustre and everyone said that Zinedine Zidane should never have come back from retirement. Today he was a master -- untouchable, unstoppable. And that against Brazil. A privilege to watch.

So now we will have a European world champion. So long as it isn't Portugal, I don't mind.

P.S. Here for anyone who is interested in "sahcuh" is a very, very interesting and thoughtful interview with a guy who has done it all, Jorge Valdano (won the Spanish Championship, the World Cup, coached and managed Real Madrid):

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/spiegel/0,1518,424493,00.html

8. ScotBhoy

ScotBhoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

La France 1 Brazil 0.
    Zizou superb along with Viera, Makalele and Riberry. A fabulous goal from Henry. Controlled the game from start to finish. Brazil (disappointing game tonight) out, England (a very poor tournament, I thought) out. Whose colours shall be pinned on the trophy now? The winners of Italy v Germany, I predict.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  9. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

i'm sorry for my british friends and patriots friends Mike The Brit and Gomezcat for the today's England loss against Portugal.
    i have not understood the red to Rooney (imho the yellow would have been the right choice). his exit had surely an impact on the team.

compliments anyway also to the Portugueses (i have always considered them a very good team)

Brazil loss to France will make 4 european teams to play in the semi-finals

a good 'old' Zidane...the usual !

Brazil playied very bad...pity...

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,015 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

I am stoked...all my 3 teams are in the semi finals. Well, really my 2 teams are France and Italy...I have always liked them from when I was younger because I am 1/2 from each. Portugal is my adopted team because my son's soccer trainer is from the Azores and that is his team.

Brazil lost to France today because they played little to no defense in the mid-field. so in effect they let France play with 12 men because Zidane is still the best player in the world IMO.

My prediction is France and Germany in the finals. If Germany pressures Zidane in the mid-field they will win it all...I won't be happy...but they really are that good.

11. Aldogg

Aldogg Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

I think it will be Italy vs Portugal in the finals.

Italy has only given up one goal in the tourney, that being an own goal vs the US. I like Germany, but I think Italy is clicking on all cylinders and I think thier defense might be too tough for the Germans.

I also have Portugal over France. Portugal just seems to find ways to win, either it be by flopping around the pitch like a fish out of water, or thier goalie being nails in a shootout like what happened today. Part of me thinks Portugal should lose, seeing how they had an hour vs an undermaned English squad and couldn't score, but it seems like Portugal finds ways to win, even though I would love to see Zidane retire as a champion and I love watching Henry play, as he is possibly my favorite international player.

My thoughts on England are they looked like garbage most of the tourney, and could never get rolling. They left Rooney on an island after Owen went down, as I would have went with Crouch up front (no matter how much I think he is awful) just to get another forward up there to free Rooney than another attacking midfield and playing a 4-5-1. Beckham getting hurt and Rooney snapping didn't help today either, but I think Goran-Erikson did an awful job managing the squad.

Brazil looking very un-Brazil like this tourney. Maybe Ronaldo being out of shape hurt the attack, or maybe Brazil thought by being Brazil they would romp until the finals.

Anyway, it looks like some good games coming up the next week. After I see the semis, I will make my finals prediction.