Welcome to PatsFans.com

Geothermal Heating Systems

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by atomdomb, Apr 21, 2008.

1. atomdomb

atomdomb Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

does anyone know about these. i live in nh and i have a ten unit apt. building. my oil costs last year were around 17k. i have been thinking of going to geothermal. anyone have experience with these systems. by the way, i could care less about how much the oil companies make. they should make all they can. if you don't like paying them then try something else. paying them pisses me off, not what they make.

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

I know all about them. First they cost about 25,000 dollars for an average house. What is done is that a trench,most times the whole yard is dug six feet down all around the house,( its a constant 60 degree's) pipes are place in a grid and buried. your heating and cooling water is then pumped through the pipes and "heat exchange" occurs. If the water is 70 degree's its cooled down just by passing through the system. And vicea verca, you still need a way of heating the water in the winter,but in the summer you have central air conditioning at low cost.
    Its better if there's a lake nearby,they run the system through it doesn't cost as much. Not as much digging.
    I have most of the infoe,and the companies that do it at work I'll send you the information so you can read it yourself. A thought the larger the amount of surface area that needs to be heated and cooled the larger the amount of circulating pipe that would have to be buried. From what I remember you save about 15-20% on your energy bill.

I was looking for another type of geo-thermal. The type were you drill down into the rock 700-1000- feet its about 400 deg. This rock is close to the surface in New England. You pump water down,it turns to steam and is extracted through another pipe. Its a u shaped desighn. With the steam you could heat your house, cool the house using the stream to drive cooling condensers ,and even produce electricity. But the technology isn't there yet to do it on a small scale, its not even there to do it for a power plant yet. There are a number of fundamental problems that have to be over come.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

ya great comment. let them rip everyone off legally. it's not like we can pedal our way to work. they are the ones who suppressed energy advances so we stay addicted to oil.

the country is in alot of trouble.

4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

An alternative would depend on where someone lives. If you live next to a river or fast running stream ther are co's that male small hydro generaters . There simple in design a pipe rns fron the source of water,runs the genarater,and is enptied back into the river or stream via discharge pipe. They are big enough to power a house,so you switch to electricity. I don't know how much the systom costs. The generaters cost about $2500-3000,plus you need storage batteries.

5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -2

#91 Jersey

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Interestingly George relies heavily on Geo Thermal for his home in Texas.. guess he knows something about that oil thing.