Welcome to PatsFans.com

Georgia bar's T-shirt links Obama, Curious George

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, May 14, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

Have you forgotten that Obama is only doing as well as he is because he's black?:rolleyes:

3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So this is okay:
    [​IMG]

but not this:
    [​IMG]

Just because Obama's half black? Or because he's a democrat? I mean, if we can have GWB as the Chimp in Chief, what's wrong with Obama?

4. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

"

Freedom of speech, as long as you think as I do and talk as I do and for God's sake don't upset me!

Oh, and btw--the guy's donating profits to muscular dystrophy or one of those type of charities.

5. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

i don't see the chimp in chief T SHIRT ???? :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 12 / -10

a.paul, there is no stereotype of a monkey and a white guy that I ever heard of. The stereotype of blacks as monkeys dates back to an era when blacks were thought of as less than human. You really should be ashamed of yourself for trying to defend a racist stereotype, and frankly your effort to do so surprises me.

7. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So the difference for you is that someone put it on a shirt instead of just the web?

8. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

where is the Tshirt ?

9. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I figured you'd arrive sooner rather than later.
    Yes, there is a stereotype. One that vanished--except for being perpetuated by the same people that always play the race card--from just about all aspects of society.

I don't get pissed off when the Irish are portrayed as drunken louts...or even as monkeys.
    [​IMG]

10. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What part of "so the difference for you is that someone put it on a t-shirt instead of just all over the web" do you have a hard time understanding?

11. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

blablabla yadayadayada

Racists are everywhere.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  12. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

BTW, Patters: I haven't yet defended a racist stereotype. That would be one of your cute little digs, where you try to accuse someone of something without actually saying it.

All I've done is point out that we've had 8 years of Bush the Chimp and so forth and so on, and this is a free speech issue, offensive or not. Just as all those anti-bush web pages, pictures and books are.

So when you decide to repeal the First Amendment, you let me know so I can stop worrying about it.

13. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I certainly hope you're not calling me a racist. Because that would be deeply offensive.

It's pretty funny. You have to march in lockstep or you're called

RACIST

14. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

I don't think you're a racist, but the motive behind those t-shirts is 100% racist. Try going up to any black person and call them a monkey and see how they react. It sure as hell won't be the same as if you said it to a white person.

Whites don't get to decide one day that words aren't offensive anymore after they've been used for hundreds of years to degrade an entire race. If you think calling a black person a "monkey" doesn't have intense racist connotations then you are very confused.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x2DxyAGzGxM&feature=related

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Free speech, my azz! The First Amendment has always been used as a cover for people who are making a racist point. Anyone who pretends to not know what this is about is full of sh!t. Free to what?...say that Obama is a monkey that's curious? This T-shirt is meant to make fun of black people - Obama in particular - even though the retards down in Georgia doing this stunt don't know he's half white and think he's a Muslim..

George Bush looks like a monkey and thinks like one (apologies to monkeys).

When the Irish were made fun of in those cartoons, they objected vehemently. Their churches and civic groups were outraged. The Irish were being made fun of because of their "race" according to the WASP establishment of the time. The Irish were sh!t on for being Irish, papists, having too many kids, and being stupid.

That was the point of this T-shirt - except it was for blacks. It's wrong in either case. If one of my kids wore that shirt or made a racist commentary like that, they wouldn't see outdoors for a month. Even my 9 year-old would know that that's racist.

16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

So if you walk up to a black guy and call him an ape, that's the same thing as walking up to a white guy and calling him an ape?

How about if you called David Ortiz a nigger? Are you going to protest that you're being forced to "march in lockstep" after the guy breaks your face?

17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +428 / 12 / -26

Quite a stretch, you have to go to a Danish website to find this one... another credible source.. have fun all by yourself.. it is a wornderful world you live in.

Without regard it has the same meaning as porch monkey and many other comments that are inherently racist.. there is no ifs, ands or buts about it... if you choose to suppor this type of stuff it is your loss..

If you call a white man a nigger it is no biggie, if you call a black man a nigger it is a big deal.. if you call a white man a monkey it is not a big deal but for a black man it is.. once again another meaningless thread about racism by a bunch of old white guys with an unhealthy dose of underlying anger..

18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +292 / 12 / -10

You're didn't point out it's a free speech issue until now. In fact, no one has raised that issue at all. The clear implication of your post is that you're saying, What's the big deal of making Obama out to be a monkey when the same was done of Bush?

You ludicrously argue that the monkey stereotype of blacks has vanished when in fact it's being used in the photo.

Otherwise what is the point that the the guy is trying to make? What does Obama have in common with a monkey? (At least Bush sort of looks like a chimp.) Why do you think the guy chose a monkey? (According to the Herald, some have described "he tavern owner "as an ultra-conservative," so it's not likely he made the shirts in support of Obama.

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +719 / 2 / -9

No
    Comment

:bricks:

20. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +43 / 6 / -0

I honestly was going to post, "this is where Harry comes in and says 'I could say something right now but I won't'" but I decided not to for some reason, wish I had:D