Welcome to PatsFans.com

George Bush's Africa AIDS Achievement Big But Ignored

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Dec 3, 2011.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +131 / 7 / -13

Well Bush missed on a lot of his domestic policies but this one he got right, but he doesn't get proper credit for it.

George Bush And His AIDS Programs Make Him A Hero To Africa, But Ignored Elsewhere - Investors.com

Too bad that approach (bolded) wasn't used more in the US, for a variety of problems
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

George Bush took the lead in doing fantastic humanitarian things in sub-Saharan Africa, but the liberal MSM doesn't care about that. The only foreign opinions they care about are those from western Europe.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

This is an attempt to atone for the terrible sins he committed against our environment and for the Iraq clustyer fock.. keep doing this stuff George, you may still make it to heaven.

Perhaps I am old school, but always thought that if you did good deeds you were not supposed to seek adulation????
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

It's not being ignored. It gets about the same amount of Clinton and his Foundation's work on treating people with HIV/AIDS. Clinton took the lead, but primarily because he came before Bush.

That said, Bush certainly deserves credit for what he's done, and I'm glad that Obama has acknowledged him. After all, when you think about it, Bush went in the polar opposite direction of Republican hero Reagan who did nothing while thousands died of AIDS and the AIDS epidemic continued to expand.

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-06-...san-francisco-aids-research-education-cases/2

Reagan could have chosen to end the homophobic rhetoric that flowed from so many in his administration. Dr. C. Everett Koop, Reagan's surgeon general, has said that because of "intradepartmental politics" he was cut out of all AIDS discussions for the first five years of the Reagan administration. The reason, he explained, was "because transmission of AIDS was understood to be primarily in the homosexual population and in those who abused intravenous drugs." The president's advisers, Koop said, "took the stand, 'They are only getting what they justly deserve.' "
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

Wonder how an op ed quantifies the 30 million figure???

What is interesting about how Bush is supposedly being ignored by the press, including Fox News, he is also person non grata on the pubbie campaign trail.. none of the pubbies want him by their side..
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I watch Fox a decent amount (mainly for entertainment purposes- Megan Kelly for instance) and I have never heard Bush's Africa AIDS initiative mentioned once. No one else does. No one cares about Africa. I worry that WWIII will be fought there in my lifetime, though, as the northern hemisphere fights aver it's natural resources. I hope I'm wrong.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +377 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Maybe because many Republicans today would like the policy stopped?

Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, has been an outspoken critic of the PEPFAR from the start.

"I concede it's very well intended," he said on the House floor when debate first came up in 2003. "I'm a physician. I can't think of anything better than to wipe out AIDS in Africa, or in the United States for that matter." But he adds that PEPFAR is fighting against the current economic and social realities. "I think if we're going to be doing any social engineering or social suggestions it ought to be here, and we ought not be naive enough to believe we can change habits that occur in Africa."

Paul is now running for president and declined CNN's request for comment, but his office said he stood by his statements from 2003 and continues to be critical of the plan.

It was not just Rep. Paul who declined to speak about why they wanted to cut PEPFAR. So did a half-dozen other Republican members of Congress who have voted against continuing full funding for this part of the Bush legacy, even though foreign aid makes up only about 1% of the federal budget.

U.S. budget ax threatens successful AIDS program in Africa - Page 2 - CNN

The new Congress brings about a number of important changes to the U.S. House of Representatives’ Appropriations Subcommittee, which determines most of the funding levels for U.S. global health programs through the State and Foreign Operations Subcommittee. Among other programs, this subcommittee plays a major role in determining annual funding levels for the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) program, global tuberculosis, and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria.

The funding levels decided by the subcommittee will be greatly affected by the extent of spending cuts imposed by the incoming chairs of the Budget Committee and the Appropriations Committee, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) and Rep. Harold Rogers (R-KY), respectively.

Both Ryan and Rogers are staunch fiscal and social conservatives, and in 2008 both voted against the Tom Lantos and Henry J. Hyde U.S. Global Leadership against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria Reauthorization Act (Lantos-Hyde), which authorized $48 billion for AIDS, TB and malaria programs from 2009 to 2013.

We can expect Ryan to try to impose deep cuts to foreign assistance, according to an analysis by the U.S. Global Leadership Campaign. Rogers has announced he will ask the subcommittee chairs to find cuts in the programs under their jurisdiction that will restore federal discretionary funding to 2008 levels, which would cut international programs by 35 percent and devastate PEPFAR, according to an analysis by amfAR.

Profiles of House Republicans key to global health funding | Science Speaks: HIV & TB News
  8. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +161 / 2 / -2

You're right, he did a lot in Africa and doesn't get credit for it, though as others have pointed out, there are unfortunate reasons for that.

As for the bolded part, though, now you want the government partnering more with businesses, after all your cries of crony capitalism?
  9. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I heard about it all day over conservative talk, and CNN, and Fox News...

Not every story needs to be the Casey Anthony story to quality as "Covered" by the media.
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +131 / 7 / -13

These weren't business subsidies or government controlling the market place, it was a matter of getting the aid to victims rather than having the funds being stolen by the rulers of the country, also note that religious groups who have been on the ground providing medical services were the vehicle for getting the aid to the victims.

Big difference with cronyism.