Welcome to PatsFans.com

George Bush: Giving amnesty to illegal aliens help national security

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Feb 9, 2007.

1. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

#1, the title is completely inaccurate.

Bush: Guest workers help national security
    By UPI Staff
    United Press International
    February 9, 2007

WASHINGTON (UPI) -- President George W. Bush said in Washington Thursday a U.S. guest worker program is vital to national security.

Bush spoke during a visit to the Department of Homeland Security, addressing his remarks to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

"I firmly believe that in order for your Border Patrol agents to be able to do their job, we need a guest worker program so that people don't have to sneak in our country, and therefore, we can really enable your good folks to be able to focus on terrorism, drug runners, gun runners," Bush said.

The president said efforts to secure the border between the United States and Mexico will be effective, and said the department is "modernizing a border that needed to be modernized, whether it be through fencing or the different types of high-tech investments."

Copyright 2007 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved

No where does it mention amnesty, to which I am vehemently opposed to.

As for a Guest Worker program, I like the idea. The question will always be, under what guidelines. Clearly, with 4.7% unemployment, there is work to be had. Furthermore, jobs like picking fruit and such, would serve a guest worker program quite logically. As always though, I'm skeptical of it's being implemented sensibley.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +437 / 5 / -2

There are multiple aspects to the question you pose. Yes, we absolutely should employ americans first. However, there are jobs that most americans won't do, or actually won't do for what said fields are willing to pay. I like to point to farming, and the job of picking fruit. If farmers paid $15-25 an hour, then americans would go. The question is should they, would they, could they, etc. This is where I would be willing to accept a guest worker program where you'd document illegals, would have them pay taxes, and would serve the need to have cheap labor to satisfy the farming industry. The thing is, how many are you going to allow, and under what conditions? IT's why we really need a comprehensive immigration plan, but why more importantly, the border has to be sealed. Sealing the border to me, is a no brainer. I understand people are going to come no matter waht, or try to come I should say, but not sealing the border is beyond moronic. Sealing the border does not require an immigration plan.