Welcome to PatsFans.com

Generation Dumb - Graduation rate dropping

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/e...&ex=1206676800&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

March 20, 2008
    States’ Data Obscure How Few Finish High School
    By SAM DILLON
    JACKSON, Miss. — When it comes to high school graduation rates, Mississippi keeps two sets of books.

One team of statisticians working at the state education headquarters here recently calculated the official graduation rate at a respectable 87 percent, which Mississippi reported to Washington. But in another office piled with computer printouts, a second team of number crunchers came up with a different rate: a more sobering 63 percent.

The state schools superintendent, Hank Bounds, says the lower rate is more accurate and uses it in a campaign to combat a dropout crisis.

“We were losing about 13,000 dropouts a year, but publishing reports that said we had graduation rate percentages in the mid-80s,” Mr. Bounds said. “Mathematically, that just doesn’t work out.”

Like Mississippi, many states use an inflated graduation rate for federal reporting requirements under the No Child Left Behind law and a different one at home. As a result, researchers say, federal figures obscure a dropout epidemic so severe that only about 70 percent of the one million American students who start ninth grade each year graduate four years later.

California, for example, sends to Washington an official graduation rate of 83 percent but reports an estimated 67 percent on a state Web site. Delaware reported 84 percent to the federal government but publicized four lower rates at home.

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yesterday a poster here said something to the effect of the problems relating to in and outsourcing had to do with a lack of properly educated workers available.
    Another poster adamantly disagreed, in his usual over the top form, and said that there were many many highly educated people available for any job (again, paraphrasing).

Now today we have this article.

Which poster was closer to the truth of the matter, based on the evidence in front of us?

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

This goes along with a point I made on another thread. More and more "good" jobs require more formal education than in previous generations and I wonder whether education levels are keeping up. Intending no offense to anyone - I'd be curious about the education level of those who are under or unemployed - you can't just walk into an employment office with no education and blame the government if you don't walk out with a good job.

4. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Recipe for disater:

----------------------------------------------------------
    3lbs. - No child left behind act
    4 dashes - Cutting art, music, and now sports programs
    mix with a pinch of underpaid teachers.

bake at 350 for 2 terms
    ----------------------------------------------------------

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +675 / 2 / -9

Give them a test on these subjects and watch their Grades Shoot Up.

Drugs
    Rap Crap
    Sit Coms
    Masturbation
    Blow Jobs
    Bush Hating
    Hollywood
    Britney Spears Underwear
    Matt Damons Jock Strap

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

I don't know all the entails NCLB but I do know that because of it my kids come home with test scores that tell me where they're strong and where they aren't. And, being an average or better parent, I use that to try to work on their weaknesses. Seems to be working for me.

7. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Silly you, don't you know that it is not your responsibility as a parent to raise your child?

It is the government's fault, we have a right to put ourselves in cruise control and let the government drive.

Personal responsibility..ha, get with the program.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  8. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Can someone explain to me what is so bad about the No Child left behind act?

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

The only somewhat valid complaint I've heard is that teachers feel like they have to teach to the tests instead of to their own creativity as teachers so their class's test scores come out well. OK I can see that but no tests = no accountability to teachers and schools. Given the choice, I'd prefer the accountability and knowledge of how my kids are doing.

10. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

sure:

It relies on standarized tests to determine funding. Some techers cheat at these tets, other students also cheat. Cheat or no cheat, a standardized test doesn't measure the wealth of knowledge, in some peoples eyes.

for or against it, it seems like our youth are caring less and less about education. I think there are a lot of factors that contribute to this....in no specific order.....

1. The ME generation, watch MTV for about an hour and you'll understand
    2. National ADD
    3. Real lack of role models
    4. Parenting
    5. funding for schools

please feel free to add to this

11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

That depends, are you a republican, or a democrat? :p

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

It's almost comical to hear people talk about (government monopolized) education in this country. The destruction of private schooling is the #1 reason why kids are dumb. Instead of having a significant portion of kids being educated in a system that demands accountability (private), the loons monopolized the set up so that everyone (diversity people) would be fukced over by the same indoctrinizing, child drugging, lemon factory as everybody else. Oh, and lets add in a couple 1,2, 10 million illegal alien anchor babies while we're at it. That should help the overall quality of the education in each class. :rofl:

13. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +159 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

There leaving kids behind. I don't know it sounded good. :D

14. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +159 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I have it set up so that if there are any engineering jobs at North East Utlities I automaticaly get the posting. I must get a half dozen a week looking for electrical engineers.(not my field) My wife is sone of the higher ups a a local tech comm collage. Recently she went to a conferance in Conn. she told me that high tech employers were frantic about not haveing enough skilled ,educated people to fill positions. And could the collage come up with some programs to educate future workers.

Now If you are doing some highly technical job,its most likly NOT going to be out sourced because the people in those developing countries are educated enough themselves.

15. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

The teachers that cheat are probably the same ones that the act was intended to weed out. They should be fired. I don't believe standardized testing is or was intended to show a persons total wealth of knowledge - it is intended to show that the child has a good grasp of the basics and it is to help identify areas where the child needs extra attention.

Youth may or may not care about education - college enrollment is up from years past, so I am not sure if that is accurate or just a perception.

1. I couldn't watch MTV if you paid me and I am under 30 (barely, but I'm hanging on to my 20's as long as I can)

2. The lack of long term memory for many Americans sucks, so yes I agree with that - but I wouldn't just put that solely on the youth. As many older folks on this very board display the same symptoms (i.e. they can't remember anything bad that happened beyond the last 7 years).

3. The overall breakdown of personal accountability in our country.

4. Ties in with number 3, lack of personal responsibility. It can't possibly be my fault that my child can't read? It must be the school, society etc..

5. A ****ty problem mostly due to local and State governments mismanagement of funds, IMO.

16. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Neither...:D

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Of course it doesn't. No-one thinks it does. Not many anyway. But people want accountability from schools and teachers and a test is the only way. I know, approximately, how my kids are doing compared to all other kids in public schools (not sure if private take the tests) in CA; what more could I expect ?

18. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I get job offers quite frequently, and every time I turn one down they always ask if I can recommend someone. Heck I even get emails now asking if I can refer someone for a position. But then again I felt that getting an education was a better option than doing nothing, remaining poor - while using my personal obstacles as a crutch. :eek:

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +516 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

You're wrong because NEM told me so yesterday :D

20. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +159 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

OK, I'd better deleat the post and stand in the corner. :D