Welcome to PatsFans.com

Generals: Attack Iran, we'll quit

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Feb 26, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

must be more lies by that damned liberal media...

US generals ‘will quit’ if Bush orders Iran attack

Michael Smith and Sarah Baxter, Washington

SOME of America’s most senior military commanders are prepared to resign if the White House orders a military strike against Iran, according to highly placed defence and intelligence sources.

Tension in the Gulf region has raised fears that an attack on Iran is becoming increasingly likely before President George Bush leaves office. The Sunday Times has learnt that up to five generals and admirals are willing to resign rather than approve what they consider would be a reckless attack.

“There are four or five generals and admirals we know of who would resign if Bush ordered an attack on Iran,” a source with close ties to British intelligence said. “There is simply no stomach for it in the Pentagon, and a lot of people question whether such an attack would be effective or even possible.”

A British defence source confirmed that there were deep misgivings inside the Pentagon about a military strike. “All the generals are perfectly clear that they don’t have the military capacity to take Iran on in any meaningful fashion. Nobody wants to do it and it would be a matter of conscience for them.

“There are enough people who feel this would be an error of judgment too far for there to be resignations.”

A generals’ revolt on such a scale would be unprecedented. “American generals usually stay and fight until they get fired,” said a Pentagon source. Robert Gates, the defence secretary, has repeatedly warned against striking Iran and is believed to represent the view of his senior commanders.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. iguide

iguide Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh this was " From The Sunday Times". Well that make it gospel then.

If there is a more Liberal rag on the planet I would like to see it.

3. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's what stop-loss orders are for.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +375 / 11 / -28

I've seen this on a couple of sites, this seems strange.. most of the folks who become generals are pretty much entrenched into the current philosophy and political beliefs.. if there were names and quotes it would seem more credible, but right now looks like an internet rumour.

5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

but what general is going to wanna put his neck on the line like that by going on record BEFORE the sh!t hits the fan?... of course it's anonymous for now...

this is quite a wild assertion by a daily news publication if it's mere "internet rumor"

6. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I doubt it's made up. There are lots of generals and I'm there are lots of different opinions.

7. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Eh? It's owned by Murdoch and has a number of conservative columnists. I actually quite like the Times as it does have both points of view. That said, it does lean to the right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sunday_Times_(UK)

The Guardian and Independent are liberal but no one other than Genghis Khan would describe the Times or Sunday Times as liberal. Have you ever read the columns of Gerard Baker (who really rates Bush highly), Patience Wheatcroft (economically conservative), Michael Gove (prospective Conservative party candidate) , Matthew Parris (ex- Conservative MP) or the editorials? :confused:

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +672 / 2 / -9

Will they fight if the democrats invade Africa?

9. PATRIOTS-80

PATRIOTS-80 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I could see General Patton saying that. LOL

10. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I imagine General Patton having the the balls to drag Bush out to the White House lawn for a public flogging.

11. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You really don't have the first clue how the military or the chain of command works, do you..? Hell, if you were around in the 40's, you would have been one of the first pansy-ass liberals in line trying to hang Patton when he slapped that kid.

12. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

[SIZE=-1]“I’m a soldier. I fight where I’m told and I win where I fight.” -- George S. Patton[/SIZE]

13. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You mean Generals don't customarily flog Presidents? I learn something new every day...

14. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A lot of people relate GEN Patton to George C. Scott because of the movie and their striking resemblance. What will shatter your image of him though is that in real life GEN Patton had a high pitched voice that was almost the opposite end of the spectrum from George C. Scott. It's entertaining to hear the actual General.

15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

We're not attacking Iran. When will you people listen. Ain't happening. Certainly not from us. Israel on the other hand.... :confused:

16. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually, if we can speak figuratively, it has happened many many times throughout history. It just doesn't happen in these United States of America.

17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yyyyeah.... anyhow, where's the guy insisting a right-leaning British paper was a "liberal rag?"...

18. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Then we're overdue!