Welcome to PatsFans.com

Genarlow Wilson(the Ga.BJ case) thrown out, oops wait a minute...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 12, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

This case has gained nationwide and international attention about the 17 year old HS football star with a 3.2 GPA, got a bj from a 15 year old girl and got 10 years and a sex offense conviction. The Georgia legislature revised the law and a judge set him free.. wait a minute the prosecutor filed an objection. The judge will ultimately prevail, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/12/AR2007061200298.html

ATLANTA -- Genarlow Wilson's joy was short-lived.

The Georgia man, who has become a symbol for extreme cases of getting tough on sex offenders, was ordered released from prison by a judge who called his 10-year sentence for having consensual oral sex as a teen "a grave miscarriage of justice."

The verdict brought cheers from his legal team. His mother, Juannessa Bennett, wiped away tears as she called it "a miracle."

But the mood dampened some 90 minutes later when the state's attorney general announced he would appeal, which will keep the former honors student and football star behind bars for now.

Wilson's case has gained national attention, with critics saying his sentence was far too harsh. Supporters like former President Jimmy Carter have said it raises questions about race and the criminal justice system.

"As far as I'm concerned, this case is a throwback to Southern justice," said state Sen. Vincent Fort, an Atlanta Democrat.

Wilson, 21, and five other male partygoers charged in the cases were black, as were the two teenage girls involved.

Wilson is serving a 10-year mandatory sentence for having consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old girl in 2003, when he was 17. If his conviction is upheld, he will also be placed on Georgia's sex offender registry.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I love the people who make this story seem like it was a young couple on Moonlight Hill making out in the car. Wonderful boy, great athlete, high GPA....and? Do you know the specifics of this case? The incident is by no means an easy one. Ten years is obvioulsy an excessive sentence, but this kid was by no means innocent. We're talking about a child here, which I consider the girl in question to be. If we are not going to protect children, then let's say so, but don't tell me that these guys didn't take advantage of, or manipulate these young girls, cuz they clearly did. This isn't about getting a blow job, it's about abusing a child for sexual gain. I'll agree that 10 years is excessive, but he was found guilty by a jury none the less. Innocence is not something this kid, nor his supporters, should be talking about.
  3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The issue is the way the old law was written, most jurors when polled did not feel as though he did not do anything all that wrong.. I am not defending a pedophile, this is what it is some kids partying and then getting down. From what I read and what I saw there seem to have been consensus on the way the law was written and that it was wrong, but not criminally wrong that results in 10 years behind high walls, being labeled a sex offender and all that goes along with it.

The issue was the law and its application, not his actions. Now that it has changed the DA is raising hell.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/article.php?id=158

Around 3 a.m., Michelle awoke from a drunken daze. She was lying on the floor between two double beds and wearing nothing but socks. In a panic, she called her mother from a cell phone, asking—no, pleading—for her to come now. Michelle managed to find her overnight bag and scrounged up a shirt and underwear to wear outside. Her mother picked her up in front of the hotel.

Once they got in the car, Michelle’s mother told her daughter that she reeked of liquor and marijuana and as soon as they got home she needed to take a bath. Michelle got into the tub, but then broke down and told her upset mom, “I think they raped me.” She dressed, and mother and daughter headed to the Douglasville Police Department. After they filed a report, investigators ordered Michelle to go to a hospital for an examination.

Later that morning, loud knocks at the doors of rooms 135 and 136 awakened the stragglers still there. Officers announced that they were there to investigate a gang rape that had been reported by Michelle. The youngsters sat around bleary-eyed as detectives questioned them; meantime, after securing a search warrant, officers scoured the rooms for evidence, carefully collecting almost a dozen used condoms and wrappers that were found strewn about the floor and in wastebaskets.

Just as they were wrapping up their search, detective Ed Reece, a crime scene technician, noticed something in the corner of the room: the video camera.

Over the next few days, investigators interviewed about 14 teens who had been at the party. Eventually five young men admitted to detectives that they had engaged in sexual intercourse with Michelle and that Tracy had performed oral sex on them. Officers continued tracking down evidence.
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm generally against the prosecutor in this case. However I can see the other side that even if a 15 year old was doing it consensually, the laws should be a detriment to others doing this. I don't have any girls but if I did I would probably appreciate laws which discouraged boys from encouraging them to suck them.
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The irony has to do with if he had intercourse it would have been a misdemeanor.. but it was a BJ..

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=thompson_wright&id=2900878

Wilson's impossible dream of freedom just might come true

On Monday, as I checked my e-mail, I found a note that restored my faith in American justice. It told me that a Georgia judge had voided the sentence of Genarlow Wilson, the former Atlanta-area honor student and high school athlete serving 10 years for receiving oral sex from a sophomore when he was a senior. When the appeals are completed, Wilson, who is now 21 years old, might finally continue the life put on hold by a system that should have been celebrating his potential instead of stealing it.

It's been quite a journey. That was my first thought: the journey of the people fighting for Wilson's freedom. The last time I saw his attorney was a month after the E-ticket about Wilson appeared on ESPN.com. B.J. Bernstein and I were having dinner in Miami, and she told me about a quote that had been put on her pillow that morning by someone from the hotel staff. Right then, with her case in shambles, she needed a bit of inspiration. These particular words came from John F. Kennedy. They read, "We need men who can dream of things that never were."

She'd spent more than a year trying to do just that. Her life had become a mission: Get Genarlow out of prison. She got laws changed; and when that didn't work, she tried to get more laws changed. She walked the halls of the Capitol in Atlanta to argue Wilson's case. When that didn't work, she went on television, bullied, pushed, negotiated, did everything she knew how to do. The case was hurting her practice -- she did it for free -- and it was consuming her.

That would change, she believed, just as she believed the facts were on her side. In addition to the felony charge of aggravated child molestation for the oral sex, Wilson also had been accused of raping a 17-year-old. But a jury, after repeatedly watching a videotape of the incident, found him innocent of that charge.

The irony in the conviction is that if he'd been charged with engaging in sexual intercourse rather than oral sex with the 15-year-old, he could only have been tried for a misdemeanor.

For further reading:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=wilson

Something Stupid
    Genarlow Wilson and his friends checked into the Days Inn right off Interstate 20. At some point in the night, according to court documents and evidence presented at trial, some girls came over to party with them. Bourbon and marijuana were consumed. One of the young men turned on a video camera.

Later in the evening, a 17-year-old girl began to have sex with the young men, first in the bathroom, then on the bed. Genarlow is captured on tape appearing to have sex with the girl from behind. Her hand is clearly visible on the floor supporting herself. Witnesses said she was a willing participant.

The next morning, the girl awoke in a stupor, wearing nothing but her socks. She called her mother and said she had been raped. Police came to the room after sunrise and took the revelers in for questioning. Genarlow had already gone home -- he didn't want to miss curfew -- but the video camera remained.

On tape, the cops saw a 15-year-old girl, a 10th-grader, performing oral sex on a partygoer and, after finishing with him, turning and performing the act on Genarlow. She was the instigator, according to her mother's testimony. Problem was, the girl was a year under the age of consent. Local prosecutors called the act aggravated child molestation, following the letter and not the spirit of the law, which was designed to prosecute pedophiles.

A week later, on the first day of the second semester of his senior year, the police went to the school and arrested the boys. Wilson was charged with four felonies and taken from the building in handcuffs. Not long before, he'd been in the newspaper for being all-conference in football. Now, he was on the front page, branded a rapist and child molester.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

The law in Georgia is aimed to protect girls under the age of 16. This girl, or child if you will, was 15, and therefore protected under the law. I think we can all agree that a 15 year girl is a child. At those ages, immaturity is rampant, and manipulation is easy. This wasn't a couple making out after the Sophomore Social. These guys, albiet at 17, clearly took advantage of what the law states, and what most people would agree, were children. Did it warrant a 10 year sentence? I don't think so. However, were these kids innocent? Not according to a jury. This case has taken the aura of some innocent man put away. I find it disturbing that people, and the media, would paint such acts with the brush of innocence. This is not, in any sense or angle, and easy case. We are talking about teenagers, all of which were under the age of 18. I think back when I was that age, and I can totally understand how something like this could play out. The question here is do we protect children, or do we selectively protect them. These (the law, right and wrong) are the types of things they should be teaching kids in school, and not telling 14 year olds to do drugs, cuz they are going to do them anyway.
  8. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I don't have all the details of the case and what I know I've only seen on TV:eek:

But based what I know, I don't understand why the Govenor hasn't pardoned this kid.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Maybe because a Jury found him guilty? The issue in this case is more about the length of the punishment, and less about the innocence of the perpetrator. IMO anyway.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well, do we want boys to be encouraging 15 year olds to be sucking them off - even if it's consensual, there are some things that we discourage simply because it's not in the long term interest of the child. This is a tough case for sure but if you have a daughter, put yourself in the position of being her father and see how you feel about it.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

This case strikes me as a good example of where community service would probably serve the public interest much more than imprisonment. The kid should have received a sentence that involved, say, 500 hours of community service working in a home for abused kids. Putting him in prison will not teach him anything, but put him in touch with seasoned criminals. Years ago, I knew a guy was imprisoned for burglary and he said that all he learned about was how to be a better criminal.
  12. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I do have a daughter. However 10 years for an unforced act is way too much. I'm a person who believes in criminals getting long sentences, but this is way out of whack (no pun).

It does to be more common for girls to do that at a younger age and say that it wasn't "having sex'. Where did that come from?
  13. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

He wasn't put in there to learn. He was put in there to be punished for his acts.

He could have learned that his act got him in there and that he shouldn't do that or he will go back. But, he chose to learn something else.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well, again, I'm not completely comfortable with the sentence but sometimes society needs to see more than a slap on the wrist for someone who encourages behavior which is not good for minors - consensual or not.
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I have no idea what happened to the guy. But, the point is that prison is for criminals and if you put an impressionable kid there, I think there's a good chance he'll learn the wrong lesson. Sure, some kids need to go to jail, but in this case it sounds like the law was flawed (and it's a shame they revised it, but did not make it retroactive.)
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +249 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Prison is also to make their peers say "Mother F*cker, 'ain't no way I'm going to do that if I'm gonna get 10 years".
  17. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +97 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

But, if he broke into my house and stole my stuff that I worked to get, he is a criminal.

Maybe he did it to feed his drug habit. Maybe he did it to get money to go to a Red Sox game or pay his rent or take out a girl. I don't care why, he broke into my house and he's a criminal. I wouldn't break into his house and steal his stuff.

I know people who have had their home broken into. Not only did they lose their stuff but they felt violated. One couple was at home sleeping and they went months without a good nights sleep feeling very insecure in their own homes.

So, it's just not stuff that these guys take.
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Do drugs kids, cuz your just going to do them anyway. :confused:
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I have ZERO pity for theives. Stealing someone elses hard earned stuff would mean the firing squad if I were in charge. I like how they do it in Egypt. Steal and orange and they chop off a hand. :D

I'm kidding of course, but seriously, I have very little sympathy for people who steal.
  20. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +87 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

If you look deep enough, somewhere it will say that he and THREE OTHERS, made this 15 year old give them BJs, while HE TAPED IT.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/article.php?id=158

ARE WE ALL FELLING A LITTLE QUEESY ABOUT OUR SUPPORT FOR HIM NOW????