Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gen. Stanley McChrystal

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Jun 22, 2010.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Any general who publicly criticizes the POTUS and his policies gets fired...period. Doesn't matter who they are. The military is controlled by the civilians in the US.

My question is whether or not he did it on purpose. Who thinks he deliberately made those statements to get sent home? I do.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

He has a long history of this type of thing going back years. He was also the general who tried to have the Pat Tillman friendly fire death covered up.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

I think it was done on purpose, you don't get to that level in the Military without playing the political game.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

I'm not yet sure of the why part, or if it was intentional or not. I do agree though, that such behavior demands an instant firing. It's unprofessional IMO, and if the man had concerns, or didn't respect the people he was dealing with inside the administration, then he should have said so behind closed doors, or resigned. In all honesty, they need to make an example of this man. If not, then it weakens, and/or puts doubts, into the system known as the chain of command.
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,002 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

This country is on the verge of a revolution. There just, essentially, needs to be one spark. It's one thing for there to be dissention between the people and the government. That's common. It's another thing entirely for there to be dissention between the military and the government. I don't know about you guys, but I have A LOT of friends who are in the military. Many of them are actually serving in Afghanistan right now. I can't think of a single one of them that actually likes Obama.
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

I read M Yon attacking McChrystal on the change to the ROE that has gotten a lot of Americans killed. Do the troops feel this was the General's doing or the politicians?
  7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A statement like this speaks volumes as to precisely the completel lack of respect the Crackhead in Chief commands from his own troops.
  8. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,002 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

I haven't actually talked to any of my friends about that specifically. None of them are home on leave right now, though I have a few coming back soon. From what I've heard in general though, blame is to be shifted to the president for that. I just don't understand why someone would send a mass amount of troops to Afghanistan only to tie their hands behind their backs.
  9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Crazy to send men into battle and have Rules that put them at greater risk.
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I thought Obama worked for him ... the threads here over the years kind of hint at that - the military controls this country. So what if he gets canned ... the military is like the Taliban ... someone else is already ready to move up.:confused:
  11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You're being overly dramatic and besides, a lot worse would have to happen in this country for the fat asses to get up and do anything. As soon as the news cycle clears on this, it will be over. Nothing will happen until the Bachelorette finds a husband.

This has happened before in the US and it was taken care of within the military. There are plenty of officers who have enough love for their country and respect for the Constitution and the the chain of command to maintain the rules of civilian control over the military.

Put the gun back in the closet.
  12. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,002 / 24 / -45

No Jersey Selected

Nice ad hominem attack on a post that didn't deserve it. But I guess that's what I deserve for posting in this sewage runoff of a forum. Anyway, keep the blinders on, buddy. There are PLENTY of people out there right now who are pissed off and have been pissed off at the way this country has been run for the past decade or so. This includes people who lean to the left and right. The only other time that I can think of with this kind of dissention within the military was when MacArthur wanted to act as the Commander in Chief in Asia and drop some nukes. By the way, nowhere in this post did I say that I wanted a revolution. Furthest thing from the truth, actually. But the fact of the matter is that there are plenty of angry people out there who do... most of them carrying guns.

Hell, even my old philosophy professor, who is as liberal as it gets, agreed when we were discussing the state of the country the other day. His basis for it was that the divide between the political sects in this nation is so deep that it's almost irreversible. And he's right. Nobody can agree on anything anymore. All we seem to be able to do, as a country, is fight with one another. People, by and large, very rarely want what's best for this country. They want what THEY feel is right. The problem with this is that people seldom agree on what would be right across the board. We've seen it time and time again in history and we're seeing it with the United States today. I'm telling you, one spark. That's all it will take.

I assume you're not a gun owner, right? In that case, you had better hope one doesn't come around. In that instance, you'd be as useless as a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest.
  13. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You have been reading too many of DisgruntledTunaFan's posts :rolleyes:
  14. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

William Fallon, former CENTCOM commander resigned under similar circumstances two years ago. It has happened multiple times over the decades with commanders whose egos get the better of them.
  15. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

McChrystal deserves to go; what he did simply cannot allow him to continue command. You cannot talk back to the Commander in Chief and his appointees as McChrystal appears to have done and remain in charge.
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

lol.

17. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is always the Wesley Clark scenario...leave him in place at his current position and then not give him another command after his term ends and he is forced into retirement. That isn't likely to happen given the high profile job he is in.

Oddly this guy hasn't even been in charge for long, just over one year on the job. He will likely lose his fourth star reverting down to the rank of Lt. General because he wasn't on the job for required three years. Not only did he kill his Army career he screwed himself over in retirement pay as well :rolleyes:
  18. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Gen. Stanley McChrystal = Kindergarten Cop ... :rolleyes:
  19. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Don't you think this response to being called dramatic was a little dramatic?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

This is the military industrial complex that we have been warned about, the lines between the military and those they answer to have become blurred..

McChrystal sold the US the bill of goods that sending all those young men and women to Afghanistan was a good thing.. as a soldier you have to suck it up(sorry 3%'ers) and as a general you have to lead by example...

One really good thing is that Karzai supports him:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get the f... out of Afghanistan and send our troops home, they are tired from fighting these never ending wars, and as a society we have become desensitized to violence...

Do not worry if McChrystal is fired or resigned, he will be picked up by some right wing think tank at double his current salary...

The Constitution..

George Washington..

Dwight D. Eisenhower..

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010