Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gen. Batiste’s Op-Ed That The WSJ And The Washington Times Didn’t Want You To See

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -11

What he says is very interesting, but it's also interesting that the conservative MSM didn't print this.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/08/22/batiste-conservatives/

Over a year and a half ago, I made a gut-wrenching decision to leave the Army in order to speak out about the war in Iraq. I turned my back on over 31 years of service and what by all accounts would have been a great career. I realized that I was in a unique position to speak out on behalf of Soldiers and their families. I had a moral obligation and duty to do so. My family and I left the only life we knew and entered the political debate. As a two-time combat veteran, I understand the value of thorough planning and deliberate execution. I understand what it takes to win. As a life-long Republican, I am prepared to carry on with the debate for as long as necessary. I have been speaking out for the past 17 months and there is no turning back.

As a conservative, I am all for a strong military and setting the conditions for success. America goes to war to win. I am not anti-war and am committed to winning the struggle against world-wide Islamic extremism. But, I am outraged that elected officials of my own party do not comprehend the predicament we are in with a strategy in the Middle East that lacks focus and is all but relying on the military to solve the diplomatic, political, and economic Rubik’s Cube that defines Iraq. Our dysfunctional interagency process in Washington DC lacks leadership and direction. Many conservatives in Congress have allowed the charade to go on for too long.

It is disappointing that so many elected representatives of my party continue to blindly support the administration rather than doing what is in the best interests of our country. Traditionally, my party has maintained a conservative view on questions regarding our Armed Forces. For example, we commit our military only when absolutely necessary. In the same way conservatives have always argued against government excess in social programs, the lives our young men and women in uniform, our most precious resource, are not to be used on wars of choice or for nation building. The military theorist Carl von Clausewitz taught us that wars are to be fought only as a last resort–the extension of politics by other means.

These principles are apparently not understood by many of the Republicans in our Congress. Besides the fact that many conservatives allowed President Bush to jump head-first into a war of choice, the bullheadedness of Congressional Republicans who argue for staying the course runs contrary to conservative values. Many politicians of my party continue to argue that we must liberally use up whatever our military has left. Bottom line, the Republican Congress of the last six years abrogated its Constitutional duty and share in the responsibility for the debacle in Iraq.

2. ArmyPatsFan

ArmyPatsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Interesting comments from a well respected retired Officer. There is no doubt that the top military brass has seen a huge shake-up over the past 4-6years.

3. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

GEN Batiste was a hugely popular commander here in Europe, it's a shame to see a guy like that run out of the service. He could be a top level commander somewhere providing excellent leadership, instead of fighting to get his opinion published in a free country.

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Gen. Baptiste's op-ed that Bushies dont want you to see

that's right... 64% of conservative experts believe the surge is having no affect or a negative impact ... wow...

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +519 / 14 / -28

Re: Gen. Baptiste's op-ed that Bushies dont want you to see

Shh, do not tell the Bush apologists.. they might be speechless, oh wait a minute the poll will be flawed and just another example of the bias of the "drive by media".

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +812 / 2 / -9

All wars have a few of these people, he has his opinoins about Iraq just like the rest of us, he is in a position to make his heard, the Anti Bush, Anti War Peacenic Types love to Quote him because they LOVE what he has to say.

This man is very fortunate to be an American, if he were serving under one of the Left Wing Democrats BELOVED DICTATORS or if he were an officer in the Al Queda Army he would have been dead five minutes after he made his little speech.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA FOR ALLOWING THE SH!T-HEADS TO FREELY SPEAK

God Is Great Death To Our Enemy
    :bricks:

7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Gen. Batiste choose to post this rant on thinkprogress.com :singing: :singing:

I don't care what kind of respectful career he's had. He's becoming a political schill... which is not only disappointing, but not altogether surprising (either). I had a lot of respect for him, and his credentials as a military mind are unquestioned. He may just be right, but in following a good deal of what what he's written in the past, the tone of this one is distinctly different. You can hear the bitterness for how he was treated by the administration and how the terms of his service closed. In many ways you can't blame the guy, but to now insert yourself into the political blogshere in order to "speak out". It's good he spoke his mind, but I don't think the analysis is altogether untainted with personal pain.

Our military is gutted, and on the verge of collapse after 4 years of conflict in Iraq and Afgahistan. How utterly pathetic (if true)........... I thought we had the greatest military in the world. If he's right........... we need to pull back and pull back now, retreat to our shores and forget about fighting future conflicts.

The plain truth is, we did not win this conflict, because we have NO COLLECTIVE POLITICAL WILL to win it, coupled with a serious VOID of solid leadership (from the administration down to the highest military commanders). We're just marking time.

It's over Johnny, bring em' home..............

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -11

Now you're getting the idea. That's part of the reality, whether you like it or not. Perhaps if we had launched the war under less dubious circumstances, there would have been greater support, but launching a war based on bad intelligence, lies, distortions, and exploitation of 9/11 just didn't sit well with lots of Americans, and now we are the majority. Politicians have to take into account political reality in a democracy, whether they like it or not.

9. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I disagree.......... At the time of the war there was plenty of support. War, like football, is a performance activity, once we weren't performing (in the public's eye), support dwindled. We are an iPod society, we've become a population of impatience.

I'm coming to the realization, that we'll never have the political will against any a determined foe. Hell, we ain't got the political will to solve internal issue facing us............

I don't wanna minimize the soldiers we've lost in this conflict, as each one is probably a finer human being than I am, but look at the hoopla that occurs with ever death that happens. They are all sad and tragic, but war (any war, good or bad) is costly and people will die.

What are we approaching after 4 years, 4000 or so........ Do you realize that we lost that many in a 8 hour period on July 3, 1863. Hell, we lost nearly twice that number in 37 day period on some sh!tspeck of an island in 1945. War is ugly, winning a war is even uglier. War is a serious business, you can't do it cheaply, not militarily or politically. We did, and it's one of my biggest complaints against this administration.

We don't have the stomach for war anymore ......... We didn't have it for Iraq, we didn't have it for Afghanistan (which was completely justified), and we didn't have it for Vietnam either. 9/11 or no, we don't have the stomach for it, and I wonder if we ever could?

10. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I've known that for a long time. I just don't like to admit it to myself.

11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I completely agree with Batiste, and share his worldview.
    The Republican Party has lost its way, it does not represent the views of conservatives anymore.
    Neocons, their sheep, and the moronic move into Iraq has driven many people like myself into skepticism and concern for this country.

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

From the link:

This sums up my position. If these Iraqis wanted what we are trying to give they'd have shaken Saddam off like a Flea long before we got there.

13. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree with what you are saying in general but disagree about AFG. I think vast majorities in the US are still supportive of the AFG effort across all political lines.

That was an easy sell. As we know, before going into war, the country has to be on a war footing just as much as the military. And that comes from leadership, which we have been sorely lacking.

The Afg->Iraq bait and switch is too obvious for people to ignore, however. And it remains the reason why Bush will never get above 30% approval.

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +812 / 2 / -9

Big Ears Obama & Pant Suit Hillary will bring peace and joy to the world, we can all run around naked chasing butter flys, the democrat miracle will take place as soon as they are sworn in, the Muslims will lay down their Bombs and Amputation knives, Osama Bin Laden and John Murtha will French Kiss on the Today Show, Cindy Sheehan & Uncle Teddy will get drunk and have sex on the White House Lawn while Auntie Pelosi and her little Gang all applaud and Grin, there will be no more Hurricanes in Poor Black Community's, Global Warming will end during the month of March in the year 2009 it will never be spoken of again until another Republican becomes President, women all across America will be wearing yellow Pant Suits, Oprah Winfrey will be appointed Ambassador Of The World.

I see trees of green, red roses too
    I see them bloom for me and you
    And i think to myself:
    "What a wonderful world!"
    :bricks:

15. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

If we all agreed on AFG, than we should have TAKEN OWNERSHIP of the place and not have down it on the CHEAP. We are p*ssy footing in AFG right now and afraid of doing the heavy lifting......... Starting with WIPING OUT THE POPPY FIELDS with Nalpam.....

16. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately, the dope- thats a military solution to a political problem. Yes we could wipe it out, but Karzai would likely be overthrown the very next day even if theres a sniff of his tacit approval of such action. No??

He is faced with the same types of problems as Maliki. Appeasing a very different culture that US interests are often at odds with.