Welcome to PatsFans.com

Geithner sort-of ok with China's proposal for global currency

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I say sort of okay because he claimed it was a little different than a global currnecy. Amero anyone? No wonder the dollar dropped yesterday...

Geithner 'open' to China proposal

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Geithner sounds like he'd be sorta OK with the U.S. capital moving to Peking. Bet the HIV/AIDS rate there is less than 3%.

//

3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +609 / 7 / -7

Saw that it was going to come up soon in a UN mtg. Why would we think that the Almighty Dollar would remain the de facto world currency, unless it looks like it will be stable? That is how you choose what currency to peg to.

What's amazing is the 30-year mis-read of history that got us here. We gloated and preened that we destroyed the Soviet Union by having a really beligerant-talking movie actor rattle sabers. We had no understanding that Gorbachev was the necessary ingredient in moving forward, and that Gorbachev took the risks. He paid for them too. Reagan took no risks. He told Americans what they wanted to hear. The moral: just be a tough-talkin wood-choppin man, and the big bad witch will melt.

Yeah sorta. We began the spend-down of the world, and we didn't stop until the world said "when." Reagan provided the rhetoric, and the right feasted on it until we were as broke as Ukraine and Russia in 1990, but (temporarily) with better credit.

Sure there were the surpluses of the Clinton years... but those were followed by a return to record deficits, the hallmark of Republican administrations. And now, the Republicans, after thirty years, rediscover fiscal conservatism... at PRECISELY the time we need to get out of a recession, and at PRECISELY the time when any administration of any party worth its salt would be forced to bail out/take over private companies. Even the Bushies did it.

US debt's not AAA-rated anymore.

PFnV

4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

The currency became strong and stable under Reagan after the Carter disaster.

The dollar dropped bucause of the weak TBill auction yesterday, Internationally there is no confidence in Obama's policies.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +574 / 6 / -2

News flash, there were never any surpluses, and there haven't been in about 60 years. If you want to count borrowed, excess receipts from social security that have to be paid back, with interest, as revenue, then sure, there was a surplus. Of course, that would mean that I should count my credit card limit, and maybe the total of my home mortgage, as revenue, since it's money lent to me, that I have to pay back with interest.

This is all part of the globalizists plan to create a singular world gubmit. This is where you'll begin to see the seeds openly laid by some people. It'll probably start with the North American Union, and then morph into a joint gubmit with the EU. Nice.

6. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I don't believe in most conspiracies, but this is the one that's most probable to me. And I don't even think it's a hidden conspiracy per se, people just don't pay attention to anything, so it seems hidden. It does make sense that the world would move towards one huge government, I expect it to be in full effect within 100 years or so. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of personal opinion I suppose.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

The national debt went up ever year in the Clinton years. How that translates into a "surplus" is beyond me :D

8. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It's called revisionist history, and people love it (from both sides).

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +574 / 6 / -2

All you need to do is listen to what the EU, and UN leaders say on a regular basis. There are a lot of higher ups in the world that want a centralized global gubmit to happen. If the US weren't so powerful, then the cry for it wouldn't be as loud. Global Warming taxes are part of this plan. Tax the richer, more established nations, exempt the developing nations, and hand the money over to the UN to divide up (for their own pockets, and the 3rd world).

Arthur Anderson accounting. In Clintons defense, this method was used before him, and it's being used after. Take that into consideration when trying to guage how deep in debt, we truly are. Clinton did better than most though, and I give him (and the legislature) credit for that. Of course the 90's were a perfect storm for economic success, with a corrective recession early, the end of the Cold War, little international turmoil, cheap oil, and lowered interest rates.

10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

He is certainly a shady dude....

I wouldn't trust this guy with my money, thank god he isn't in a position of montary power...

wait....

OH SH!T!

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

This friggin circus is worse than I predicted.

Who Is George Obama's Mother.........:confused:

12. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

It's not really Geithner's call on whether the dollar remains the reserve currency or not. If Japan or China begin unloading their dollar assets, the entire world is going to drop the dollar. It is out of our control, who cares what Geithner thinks, he has no power in this situation to influence the outcome.

13. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +609 / 7 / -7

Mav's right on this one, even though he's wrong all the time on other stuff.

14. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

He makes a good point.

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Why stop at a world government?

This has been prophesized for 40 years!:

[​IMG]

16. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I woulda said the Galactic Empire, ruled by Emperor Palpatine, but yeah. Close enough.

17. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Who's talking conspiracy? As someone else pointed out, this is a natural evolution. From tiny European fuedal states, to larger unions like the USA and the EU, true global peace will require the creation of large, relatively benevolent conglomerate of states. Now that we have instantaneous global communication, and economics is running the world - would anyone expect Japan or even China to invade us when we are crtitical consumers of their products? - to me, either world government, or doomsday world wide war, is inevitable. If we don't embrace the former, the latter occurs. Hop on board already!

18. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

19. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Right, that's why I said I don't believe it's a conspiracy. But there are many who subscribe to the world gov't/new world order theory. That's why I brought up conspiracies, it's a common one.

I can see how it would be a natural evolution, but I'm not sure it's sustainable. Would it be a democracy? How efficient would it be? How would they ensure peace and preservation of liberties throughout the whole world? What happens if a despot wrestles control of said government? I suppose people are always inclined to be afraid of such a large scale change, but there are some very scary prospects of a world government. And who's to say war wouldn't break out anyway, civil war style? I don't trust the size of the federal gov't of our country, so a world-size one scares me even more. So I won't be hopping on board anytime soon.

I know those are pretty ethereal questions, but I'm glad you brought this up. I'd love to segue into a discussion about the pros/cons of a world gov't.

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +574 / 6 / -2

Talk about timing.

U.N. 'Climate Change' Plan Would Likely Shift Trillions to Form New World Economy

Friday, March 27, 2009
    By George Russell

A United Nations document on "climate change" that will be distributed to a major environmental conclave next week envisions a huge reordering of the world economy, likely involving trillions of dollars in wealth transfer, millions of job losses and gains, new taxes, industrial relocations, new tariffs and subsidies, and complicated payments for greenhouse gas abatement schemes and carbon taxes — all under the supervision of the world body.

Those and other results are blandly discussed in a discretely worded United Nations "information note" on potential consequences of the measures that industrialized countries will likely have to take to implement the Copenhagen Accord, the successor to the Kyoto Treaty, after it is negotiated and signed by December 2009. The Obama administration has said it supports the treaty process if, in the words of a U.S. State Department spokesman, it can come up with an "effective framework" for dealing with global warming.

FOXNews.com - U.N. 'Climate Change' Plan Would Likely Shift Trillions to Form New World Economy - United Nations