Welcome to PatsFans.com

Geez, What a Moron (Saving Harry the Trouble)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, May 18, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Connecticut's attorney general - the likely Democratic Party nominee for Senate - lied about serving in Vietnam.

Although he portrayed himself as a Vietnam vet for years , Richard Blumenthal - whom Democrats have been counting on to retain the seat held for 30 years by Christopher Dodd - got at least five deferments from 1965 to 1970, according to The New York Times.

With his last deferment in jeopardy, he landed a coveted spot in the Marine Reserve, virtually guaranteeing he would remain stateside.

Blumenthal is also described in two articles he cooperated with as having been captain of the Harvard swim team - though college records show he was never on the team, The Times reported.

Blumenthal, 64, told The Times he had misspoken about his service at the Norwalk event and possibly on other occasions. "My intention has always been to be completely clear and accurate and straightforward," he said.

Read more: Richard Blumenthal, running for Dodd's Conn. Senate seat, says he misspoke on Vietnam vet claims
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +262 / 9 / -26

He will be nothing more than a Trivia Question 10 years from now, what a freaking idiot...
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +158 / 7 / -13

OTOH L McMahon dug up the info she wouldn't be a good Senator either. Hopefully P Schiff beats her in the pubbie primary.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 2 / -9

Hi Mrs, those clowns are both partys, the Republicans had one a couple of years ago I can't remember who he was, he even had medals
  5. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Blumenthal, 64, told The Times he had misspoken about his service at the Norwalk event and possibly on other occasions. "My intention has always been to be completely clear and accurate and straightforward," he said.

Then why does he want to be in the Senate???

This is... disturbing to say the least. From the things he said, it "could" be construed that he was speaking in general terms, as opposed to trying to convey that he was specifically in Vietnam.
    He's safe from being prosecuted under the Stolen Valor Act, but he's not safe from being called an idiot for the rest of his career.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I've got MSNBC on in the background while I'm writing today - and they've actually played a few clips where he references his "time in Viet Nam." Reportedly he's also told the media that he was spit on when he returned. You may be correct in saying he only "inferred" it, I've not heard the direct statement - but even so.....if the media has been reporting on his service in Nam for years (and they have been) he's had a moral obligation to correct them immediately - which he's never seemed to have done.

And, I am curious, what is the "Stolen Valor Act?" I've not heard of it before.

Thanks for being where you are - my son has several friends there, too, and I pray for ya all daily.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

What an arse clown. I bet people will still vote for him. I wonder what this does for that state's senate race. If I remember right, wasn't this guy the front runner, or am I mixing up names?
  8. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Democracy Now! | Headlines for May 18, 2010

So see, it's not his fault. :bricks:
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

It's never anyone's "fault," is it?

I swear, if anyone ever just stood up and said, "Yanno, I ****ed up. Big time. And I'm sorry. I've got no excuse and I'm not going to offer you any other than the fact that I'm human, I've got weak moments and I thought I could get away with something and it turned out I couldn't. Please accept my humble apology and know that I will take the knowledge gained, learn from it and try to put it to good use in the future."

He'd have my vote in a nano-second.

I don't even necessarily care that these guys cheat on their wives, lie to their constitutants or try to play fast and loose with the rules. I don't honestly think they're doing too much different than 3/4s of the population in one way or another - what I do care about is their continued refusal to take any personal responsibility for their actions. their abject apologies to God, who knew what was going on all along anyhow, rather than to the people who were not only hurt and affected by the misbehaviour - but also by the falsehoods which accompanied the acts.

That would be us - the people who voted for them.

It IS your fault - stand up and say so.
  10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Amen to that. Stolen Valor Act expanded a law that made it a crime to claim any service, honors or medals not earned. Previously it only applied to the Medal of Honor.
    Stolen Valor Act of 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  11. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ah, I was just going off of the quotes in the story you linked:

"I served during the Vietnam era. I remember the taunts, the insults, sometimes even the physical abuse."
    -Technically true, though I think purposefully misleading.
    "When we returned [from Vietnam] we saw nothing like this. Let us do better by this generation of men and women."
    -A bit more of a stretch, but I could see the use of "we" to be a general term about his "peers" but this one feels dirty to me. Though he didn't say "when *I* returned..." which leads me to believe he was being intentionally vague and misleading on purpose.

I think we can all agree regardless of what he said or didn't say, he's still a putz! :)
  12. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bullcrap. Like every other elected official, you would judge him based on his politics. If s a politician you disagreed with did exactly what you claim you want politicians to do, you would seize on his admission of fault and use it against him as best you could.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Gazing into that crystal ball of yours again, huh, WP? Didn't your mother ever warn you that you'd go blind if you did that sort of thing too often?
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -2

The more I read about this, the more I think this guy should withdraw from the race. This is horrible. How do you claim to be a Vietnam vet, when in reality you handed out toys in DC, while combat veterans were dying in the field? What a terrible human being this guy is. The guy is trash. He knew full well what he was saying. He was simply being coy about it. He was using lawyer speak, cuz he figured he could "technicality" his way to a defense. What a gutless puke.
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, I am just making a logical deduction based on what we know about you, your politics, and your posting history. Since I employ logic and deductive reasoning, I am not surprised it is a completely foreign concept to you and seems like mysticism and magic.
  16. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. The guy is a gutless coward and you have stated it perfectly. Like you said, he knew full well what he was doing and what he was doing was deliberately misleading people. If that isn't a lie, then I don't know what is.
  17. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 13 / -9

Blumen-Idiot !
  18. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He's the front runner across the board against all of the Republican candidates by a margin of 13 points or more...it's his election to lose.
  19. captain insano

captain insano Rookie

Ratings:
    +68 / 1 / -16

#11 Jersey

the ghost of 0000 is watching;)
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Martha Coakley says hi.

If the Dems were smart, they would dump this guy. It's certainly not too late to do so.