PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Geez, Two More Fights Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Lloyd back & 2 more scraps at practice - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

"....As for the scraps, they came toward the end of the full-pads practice in 11-on-11 work, both on running plays. Once again, seemingly every player on the team was involved; many served as peacemakers, but there was plenty of pushing and shoving.

After the second scrap, coach Bill Belichick sent the team on three full laps around the field, players running from goal post to goal post.

Center/guard Ryan Wendell and linebacker Bobby Carpenter were at the heart of the first scrap. Rookie free agents Darrion Weems (offensive tackle) and Marcus Forston (defensive line) looked like they were in the middle of the second scrap.

After the scraps, there was a players-only huddle on the field. "
--------------------------

OK, we get it, you guys are intense.

Last edited:
So is this team going all in this year, or are they just maniacs? :D

Back in the 1980s, urban legend has it that Parcells and BB would huddle before practices and "encourage" certain defensive players to provoke and antagonize O-linemen. The goal was to gauge how nasty and protective of the QB they were.

Not implying that is what Spikes did but the temperament of camp is starting to get volatile- which is normal for a NFL training camp.

Last edited:
After watching Wednesday night's practice, my theory is these "scraps" grow from the players not hitting/tackling full-tilt. I think the defensive players get particularly frustrated.

Last edited:
After watching Wednesday night's practice, my theory is these "scraps" grow from the players not hitting/tackling full-tilt. I think the defensive players get particularly frustrated.

Add the heat and humidity and these guys want to hit someone for real, the seaosn cant get here quick enough for some guys and us :D

They hate their coach.

Actually, I heard the same story about Parcells and BB. I really wouldn't put it past BB or someone around there to plant a seed or two.

the first rule of fight club is.........

The Pats are practicing their bounty system for when the Saints come in.

It was interesting reading Reiss and others reporting on this today. Carpenter said it was the first time he ran three laps since high school. For the most part, the players who commented said theres a thin line between tough and fighting and you shouldn't cross it, so I guess that's the company line. Also interesting that a few reporters said Brady "kicked the coaches out" of the huddle for a players-only huddle.

Me, I like it all, from the orneriness to the coaching discipline to the Brady leadership.

I think 2 of the fights were over who did better on the floor exercise, Gabby Douglas or Aly Raisman:rolleyes:

BB is loving every minute of this. :D So am I.
This team needs a nasty edge to it. Find that edge and you have a Super Bowl winning team.

About ******* time the defense struck back.

I think the number of scraps in training camp is inversely related to the number of secure starting positions and roster spots. Definite O/D starters currently practicing at camp: Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Lloyd, Solder, Wilfork, and Mayo. (And probably Chung. Mankins is injured and Waters is absent.) Everyone else is fighting for a starting spot. And there are a lot of guys that are good enough to make most NFL rosters that won't make this one. I think that when there's a big talent drop off, players are secure, and you end up with a lot of complacency. I think the reason guys like Shiancoe are brought in is so that everyone's job feels threatened, even a former Broncos starter expected to comfortably make the team as the 3d tight end. The rookie is maybe competing with Edelman for the backup slot role. Almost everyone is looking over their shoulder. And that is a very good thing.

"If you don't know Ribbon Apparatus you don't know **** bout no olympics" WHACK

About ******* time the defense struck back.

This is it for me. The D is probably sick and tired about being called the worst. Everyone keeps talking about the offense playing in FU mode, but to me its the D that might have the most pent up anger to distill on the league.

I am looking forward to the D licking their chops and pinning their ears back when they have the lead a lead.

The only thing worse than a beaten down dog, is a beaten down dog that is hungry.

How did this turn into a Mike Vick thread?

they are all amped for football

I was there. Scrap #1 happened as the D seriously stuffed a goal line run with extreme prejudice, as they fracking well should. To his credit, 1st team center Wendell objected, with extreme physicality. Then everyone except Brady joined in. Gisele really hates this fighting stuff. After the 3 laps which took forever BB had a 2 minute talk with the 90 at mid field. Me, I love the 'tude. Reminds me of the old days with Kontra firing all those dodge balls at the other 4th graders' private parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back