PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GBN has a new mock up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
DMac to us. Hard to pass on the kid if we can't trade down. Does Maroney have any trade value if that happens? Hope NSA doesn't read draft forum. Or, he probably just had a heart attack. I see they have Houston taking a rb at 11. Could they be a trade-down partner?

http://www.gbnreport.com/2008projection.html

As much as I love McFadden Im hoping we trade out of the number 2 spot down a couple and either selecting Long or Laurenitis.

yeah I would rather see us trade down, get another draft pick for next year and select a linebacker.

Mocks are all going to be seriously messed up this year if the Pats stay near #2. NOBODY will expect them to draft at that point, yet most mocks refuse to project trades so they pencil in McFadden, 'cause who else? But when you have a #2 pick you don't believe for a second, everything after that is pretty much garbage.

I know that a lot of folks here dismiss trade-filled mocks as too much fantasy, but IMO it's the straight-up ones that will be farthest from reality this year.

McFadden has about a 0.5% chance of becoming a 2008 NE Patriot.

Last edited:
Yes, Houston makes a nice trading partner. I would love for that to happen. And McFadden makes a lot of sense for them.

However, if Dorsey goes number 1, as projected, and the Patriots can't trade back, I don't see any way Jake Long isn't the top pick. At the risk of repeating myself, history has shown that offensive linemen have the lowest bust rate of positions (not that Tony Mandarich or Robert Gallery got the memo), and the longest careers. Giving an unproven offensive tackle a 6 year, 70 million dollar deal makes more sense that giving an unproven running back a 6 year, 70 million dollar deal because it's a lot more likely that the Lineman will actually be in the league, and on the team, for that long.

Yes, Houston makes a nice trading partner. I would love for that to happen. And McFadden makes a lot of sense for them.

However, if Dorsey goes number 1, as projected, and the Patriots can't trade back, I don't see any way Jake Long isn't the top pick. At the risk of repeating myself, history has shown that offensive linemen have the lowest bust rate of positions (not that Tony Mandarich or Robert Gallery got the memo), and the longest careers. Giving an unproven offensive tackle a 6 year, 70 million dollar deal makes more sense that giving an unproven running back a 6 year, 70 million dollar deal because it's a lot more likely that the Lineman will actually be in the league, and on the team, for that long.

Do you think that if the Pats had #2 and Dorsey were available, they'd take him?

Do you think that if the Pats had #2 and Dorsey were available, they'd take him?

It would be very tough to tie up another big money contract in the defensive line. It would come at the expense of another position, unless a member of the big 4 were traded, and I don't know how you could justify trading any of them to accommodate a rookie.

It would be very tough to tie up another big money contract in the defensive line. It would come at the expense of another position, unless a member of the big 4 were traded, and I don't know how you could justify trading any of them to accommodate a rookie.

I didn't think so; it just seemed curious from your phrasing (If Dorsey is #1....).

Historically the QB's usually are at the top of the draft board. After watching Beck play these past couple of weeks, I have to wonder if Miami should not be taking a long hard and intensive look at Woodson.

Assuming Atlanta goes for Brohm, and Miami does take Dorsey, that leaves McFaden and Woodson as bait for other teams to jump up to our spot for.

Regardless of where we pick, if we could come out of this draft with 2 CB's, Jenkins of South Florida and Lowery of San Jose State, I would feel a whole lot better about our future secondary.

can mcfadden do things extremely well that maroney cant do at all?
if yes to a lot of things then I see the pats taking mcfadden if not they will trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back