On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Great Blue North Draft Report

23. Clay Matthews LB
34. D. Butler DB
47 C. Ingraham TE Fla
58. J Byrd DB Oregon

I cannot see us taking Matthews Hood and English both went in 2nd

They add LB Beckwith and OG Levitre in the 3rd.

I really like Levitre. Nasty! Nasty! and Nasty! With the move to OG, he gets a chance to drive block and his pass protection should improve given the tighter space.

Weird draft. They have Jarron Gilbert going #67 and Eric Wood #71, which seems ridiculous low for both. Both would be great at #58. Not to mention Patrick Chung at #68 and William Moore at #74.

My preference (their pick in parentheses):

#23 - Connor Barwin (30)
#34 - William Beatty (38) or Robert Ayers (40)
#47 - Jarren Gilbert (67) - I wouldn't wait for #58
#58 - William Moore (74) or Patrick Chung (68)
#89 - James Casey, TE
#97 - TJ Lang, OG

Great Blue North Draft Report

23. Clay Matthews LB
34. D. Butler DB
47 C. Ingraham TE Fla
58. J Byrd DB Oregon

I cannot see us taking Matthews Hood and English both went in 2nd

I don't care for it at all and see no reason to add Butler and Bird. And I haven't cared for Ingram, feeling that he's over-rated.

I like Matthews and am fine with him at 23. I am fine with Beckwith and Levitre although they would not be my choices. Butler at 34 isn't a terrible choice, but also is not a good one with so many others available with better value to us.

Two corners and a tight end in the first three rounds makes no sense at all.

All in all, this is worse that almost all the drafts I've seen. Certainly, I've seen dozens of better mocks from our own posters.

He could have chosen Gilbert or Sintim at 47 and then Moore or Chung at 58 and had a much better draft.

That's the best part of the draft they posted..

Last edited:
This one is more realistic than most. If Pat's were to keep these picks then this would be a good draft.

All in all, this is worse that almost all the drafts I've seen. Certainly, I've seen dozens of better mocks from our own posters.

He could have chosen Gilbert or Sintim at 47 and then Moore or Chung at 58 and had a much better draft.

GBN is generally known for poor mocks.

Their first 2 picks are not bad picks - Clay Matthews and Darius Butler are both good players. Matthews is probably the most common mock pick for the Pats at 23, and while I don't think he is the best fit at either 3-4 OLB or SILB I can't single them out based on that. Butler is a solid CB and several people's pick even at 23 on this board, so I can't fault them at 34, even though I would prefer to go in a different direction. Give me 2/3 of Barwin, Ayers and Beatty over those 2 picks and I would be happy.

Their 3rd round picks aren't horrible, though I prefer other players. If we are going to go ILB I prefer Jason Williams. I prefer TJ Lang and Trevor Canfield at OG to Levitre. And, if they are going to have us take a TE, James Casey at 89 would be a much better value and fit than Cornelius Ingram.

Where their mock turns ludicrous is at 47 and 58. Cornelius Ingram and Jarius Byrd, when there are so many other players available: Larry English (48), Sean Smith (51), Clint Sintim (52), Jarron Gilbert (67), Patrick Chung (68), Eric Wood (71), William Moore (74), Chip Vaughn (82) and James Casey (91) would all be better picks.

I agree with all your comments. Byrd is an especially bad pick, not because he is a poor player, but because there is so much better available AND Butler has already been drafted. I presume that they just don't do a good job, as you say. If we are to TRY to make sense of this, one would expect that he thinks that Belichick drafted Springs to play safety and that Ingram is clearly his binky.

GBN is generally known for poor mocks.

Their first 2 picks are not bad picks - Clay Matthews and Darius Butler are both good players. Matthews is probably the most common mock pick for the Pats at 23, and while I don't think he is the best fit at either 3-4 OLB or SILB I can't single them out based on that. Butler is a solid CB and several people's pick even at 23 on this board, so I can't fault them at 34, even though I would prefer to go in a different direction. Give me 2/3 of Barwin, Ayers and Beatty over those 2 picks and I would be happy.

Their 3rd round picks aren't horrible, though I prefer other players. If we are going to go ILB I prefer Jason Williams. I prefer TJ Lang and Trevor Canfield at OG to Levitre. And, if they are going to have us take a TE, James Casey at 89 would be a much better value and fit than Cornelius Ingram.

Where their mock turns ludicrous is at 47 and 58. Cornelius Ingram and Jarius Byrd, when there are so many other players available: Larry English (48), Sean Smith (51), Clint Sintim (52), Jarron Gilbert (67), Patrick Chung (68), Eric Wood (71), William Moore (74), Chip Vaughn (82) and James Casey (91) would all be better picks.

If you think GBN's draft is bad, Russ Lande from The Sporting News has the Pats taking Paul Kruger at #23, and compares Kruger to Mike Vrabel. That makes at least 3 Vrabel lookalikes in this draft - Barwin, Matthews and now Kruger have all been compared to Vrabel (as Bobby Carpenter was in 2006; apparently you only have to be big and white and play either DE or OLB).

SportingNews.com - Your expert source for NFL Football stats, scores, standings, blogs and fantasy news from NFL Football columnists

I don't subscribe to TSN's draft "War Room" (and I wouldn't waste the money if this is the best they can do), so I don't have their entire mock, but they specifically mention the Pats pick at #23.

Then again, they compare Aaron Curry to Chad Greenway, Mark Sanchez to Ben Roethlisberger, Malcolm Jenkins to Terrance Newman, and Beanie Wells to Adrian Peterson, so I'd say many of their comparisons are a bit flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes