PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GBN 2009 draft redo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collie had a nice year, but his numbers are a product of playing with Manning. Put him with 90% of other QB's and he's a "good" but not "great" player. A step up from Edelman, Aiken, etc? Sure, but that's not saying much. It's positively insane to imply that he should have been a 1st round pick. That evaluation reeks of looking at stats and not watching the guy play.

Definitely disagree with some of those rankings. Loadholt belongs nowhere near the top 10, IMO. For starters because he's a pure RT, which makes him far less valuable than the guys that have the potential to become strong LTs. I'd also go out on a limb and say that Greene would go ahead of Shady McCoy, for starters, and likely ahead of Moreno and Wells also. And yeah, Collie doesn't even belong on that list. Manning makes him look much, much better than he is. He picked up the offense quickly and ran good routes, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

And Oher definitely showed more than Vollmer, but he also played much more. Hard to say, at this point, who will be better long-term. I like them both, and my money's on Oher, but it could go either way.

Last edited:
I suspect that with this draft as given, Belichick would have traded down.

My eyes, a couple of websites and even a couple of Ravens fans I know, disagree.

Using PFF as a means of evaluating players is a big mistake. That site's formulas are terrible. Oher was a starter from game 1. Also, unlike Vollmer, he didn't have the luxury of the Ravens rolling protection his way when he was playing left tackle. He was forced into the position when Gaither went down, meaning that the Ravens had a backup at RT as well as having Oher playing LT. Colts fans know how good he was this season, that's for certain. The Colts faced the Ravens twice, and they're still looking to get the first pressure against Flacco from the Mathis/Oher matchup.

Vollmer has potential. However, the people who were pimping Vollmer over Light were far too premature and looking through biased lenses, and the people pimping Vollmer over Oher based upon last season's play are doing the same thing.

I would hate to lose sebass, but if this draft really did happen this way, there are plenty of better WR than collie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back