Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gay Veteran talks to Mitt Romney - ABC News

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Romney was respectful, listened to him and came across to me as not being homophobic despite his position on same sex marriage. I think the guy received it like that too. It's interesting that this "old timer" and Romney are about the same age. Romney looks a good 10 years younger.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

Romney led an easy life. He should look 10 years younger.
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yeah that crossed my mind but if he wins he'll look like that guy within 2 years I bet. I wonder too how much his Mormon lifestyle that forbids drinking and smoking has helped preserve his youthful looks. They say that smoking and drinking rapidly age people especially if they do it in excess.
  5. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +335 / 4 / -10

6. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

It's amazing to watch our presidents' age.

One of the things I've noticed in my work with addicts, they're quite young looking, but I think it has to do with the fact that they spend their money on drugs, not food, and all the stealing and scoring drugs requires a lot of running. But, it does catch up with them.
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Where are you working, Brookline?;)

Meth addicts always look like hell if they're on pipe for a few years. I honestly have never noticed a difference between recovering addicts and "regular" people.

But the fact is, all addict's bodies are in rough shape by the time they go for help....or "if" they go for help.

I once had somone say "yeah, you'd look great in your casket" while I was still in the grasp of my demons. The other part no one ever sees is the health of addicts mind & soul. And I can guarantee you 99.9% are broken men & women on the inside.

But I guess you do see that part in your work.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

Believe me, I don't work in Brookline. You're right about meth addicts, but they are quite rare in this area. And you're right that the bodies of addicts are in rough shape and that they are terribly broken on the inside, and those are most of the people I see. But, there are also those who seek treatment early and have not suffered the physical consequences of addiction. The people I work with who are my age are often not far from death. It's very sad.
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +908 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

I agree with this man 100% - shows the sad human side to the debate. It shows the frustration of a person who is looking for equality - something the Constitution was all about - "All men are created equal" means All and equal, it's not pick and choose based on religion ... the Constitution is not a religious document.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  10. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've seen this linked elsewhere with snarky commentary like it was a "haha got you!" moment... but it's not. I think it's an honest discussion between two people of differing viewpoints -- if anything, I think this video helps Romney as being of conviction.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 10 / -26

Shows the difference between a "favorite son draft dodger" and a man who went to war, bet you the veteran was from a poor family.

War ages men.. a soft life less so.
  12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +908 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

I get your point - but IMO the President swears to uphold the Constitution of the USA which says all men are created equal - I keep coming back to the equal. Romney is playing to his base which is campaigning ... perhaps if he wins he changes his stance ... stay tuned.
  13. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -24

So does this "equal" include fundamentalist Mormons and Muslims too or anyone for that matter who might want a polygamous marriage? Incestous marriage also?
  14. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +908 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

What does the law say about polygamy and incest?
  15. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What does federal law say about marriage?
  16. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -24

Well, there used to be laws against sodomy too but we've "evolved" to the point now where we've embraced (no pun intended) sodomy.

We can certainly embrace polygamy and incest as well. Would you support their "equal" rights as well?
  17. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -3

Agreed, except that it isn't much of a discussion. That's not Romney's fault, though. What would be much more interesting -- to me, anyway -- is being a fly on the wall for a true one-on-one conversation b/t someone like this vet and Romney, just 1 on 1, no press, no handlers, more than a quick exchange.
  18. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +202 / 2 / -3

There also were laws against interracial marriage in the past. Was it a mistake to get rid of those?

Slippery slope arguments are pretty weak. Do you have any actual evidence as to why gay marriage is bad?
  19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

There are millions of people in America who don't believe in Gay Marraige and they are NOT Homophobic, they just believe that a Marriage should be between a Man and a Women, this also happens to be President Obama's Belief and he has stated so.

Personally, I don't give a sh1t who marry's who, personally I think men should be allowed to have several wives.
  20. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -24

Hmmm...seems we had this argument before.

But this isn't "slippery slope". I'm merely pointing out the obvious conclusion that if you want to change the defintition of marriage to establish ....."equality".....then you need to be open it to any and all configurations.

If you're not open to any and all configurations then you can't use the "equality" argument.