Welcome to PatsFans.com

'Gay Sweaters' and McCains downfall

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

McCain's an overall good guy but he had serious problems in this election. He's old, he's tried this before, he doesn't appeal to his party's base, and is on the wrong side of most political issues in the publics eye. Ultimately, if one issue sank him more than any other, it was immigration. Still though, I'm not sure he was going to win the nomination either way. He's a good guy though.
  3. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

He wouldn't have taken the nomination, no. But I agree, McCain is a good guy who genuinely wants the best for the nation. I liked the fact that he wouldn't just lock step with the rest of his party even when I didn't agree with him. We need more people like this who aren't just beholden to party line (either party).
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Agreed. I like McCain cuz he's his own man, but he totally lost me on Amnesty.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Used to like McCain, but the Republican Folks who set the agenda, Rush et al made me not like him.. I guess that was supposed to happen. I this his service to the country is above and beyond, and forgives a lot of his sins, but lately he is all over the place. Rush says I am not supposed to like him and that is good enough for me.
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

McCain sold out to the religious right. Five or six years ago he spoke "stright talk,now he speaks any talk he thinks will get him elected.
  7. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Oh like on amnesty, which was extremely unpopular? Or maybe his campaign finance reform bill, which his main support base also disliked? I'd like to know how he "sold out to the religious right." If agreeing with his party a fair amount of the time means he sold out, I guess he sold out. And who DOESN'T say what they think will get them elected?
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I agree. Amnesty killed him. Other than that, I like him, but not as a president.

I admire his service and I think the sweaters are swell :D