Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gay Marriage In Massachusetts Suffers A Setback

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jul 10, 2006.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Don't these politicians and courts have better things to do than discriminate against fine tax paying citizens. Of all the couples married so far...I'm betting 0% are deadbeat welfare sucking loafers. I'm sure there
    are more pressing problems in TaxaChusetts.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-07-10-09-55-17

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How come when the ultra liberal MA Supreme usurps the power of the legislature by legalizing gay marriage, that's all well and good... but when some court says "Gee, we should let the people and their elected representatives decide this issue" all of sudden all heck breaks loose and you complain "don't they have anything better to do...?!?!?"

Personally I can't think of anything better for a court to do than to rule on an issue that is one of the biggest topics of discussion in this state (if not the nation).

3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

There is no discrimination, there is simply no reward for what most people think is an objectionable lifestyle. Just like Polygamy except that no-one is trying to make being gay illegal - just not rewarded.

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,010 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

You're kidding right? Like people choose to be gay? I think not being able to marry is rewarding heterosexuals for choosing the politically correct lifestyle.

I know 2 men who were married, had kids, and then decided to stop living a lie. So they can live a lie and marry a woman but they can't live the truth and marry another man.

BTW...marriage is not a reward for anyone. There are many happy single people in this world. Marriage is a union of 2 people and should not be a union of opposite genitalia...and that's what these laws are...legal means of ensuring the union of opposite s#x organs.

7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

No I am not.

8. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

There is no comparison between polygamy and homosexuality.

Polygamy is choice, while homosexuality is genetic.

As I have mentioned before, scientists have discovered the single gene that controls sexual orientation of the fruit fly.

That gene is called fru.

Here is the article from Stanford University.

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/news/pr/96/961212behavgene.html

And another one from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/03/science/03cell.html?ex=1152763200&en=a791701fbb4d3b6a&ei=5070

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Who's to say that Polygamy isn't a genetic need ? :confused:

10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Damn, there's a good joke here just crying out to be told :)

11. mikey

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Polygamy is a crime. It is also a sin.

It usually involves underaged girls.

It is a euphemism for pedophilia.

As far as I know, there is no gene that controls polygamy.

12. mikey

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The "pun" is unfortunate and unintended.

But as anyone who took Biology 101 knows, the fruit fly is the model organism for genetic research. Fruit fly is also known as drosophila melanogaster. Part of the reason the drosophila is a model organism is because so much is already known about it and it is well-understood. In fact, the entire genome has been sequenced. Furthermore, mutant flies with defects in any of the thousands of genes are available for research.

What the scientists discovered is that a SINGLE GENE controls the sexual orientation of the flies. It is just a matter of time before we extrapolate this finding to humans as well.

13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +592 / 24 / -19

But, BF, don't values have the right to change, and who is going to change the values but those who want to? After all, inter-racial marriage was once considered a sin, and preachers quoted passages from the Bible to prove it; slavery was was sanctified by God according to many preachers who cited passages in the Bible; it used to be a tradition to give a dowry, sacrifice to the gods, deny women jobs or education. Things change. Get with the program. Unless you consider homosexuality a crime, it's simply discrimination to deny gays equal rights. Do you consider homosexuality a crime? If not, then why are you so adamant about protecting special rights for heterosexuals?

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The only true part of your post is "Polygamy is a crime." and "As far as I know..."
    The rest is BS.

15. Pats726

Pats726 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Actually there is and that is what is at issue....You can marry as a straight person...and that is your right by law...but a gay can not..THAT you wish to NOT allow..so you are being given rights that you do NOT want them to have..THAT is discriminatory. Gays need to have the same rights as you have...I think it is pretty simple..

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I really shouldn't have bothered in this thread as I'm repeating myself from the other but while values may have more more towards acceptance of homosexuality, all the votes so far show that there is a good distance to go before values have changed as you describe.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Check you tax return next year, there's dozens of lifestyle choices that the government encourages - most deductions are. This is no different. If being gay were illegal, OK, that would be different.

18. Pats726

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

If you do not see the difference..what can I say????
    You basically sidestepped what I said..but that is understandable. What you want is not about civil rights at all...that you wish OTHERS not to have rights that you do is what is at issue.
    I don't understand how gays getting married has ANY effect on anyone else that is TOTALLY beyond me and not at all understood by anyone.

19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

I wasn't attempting to sidestep anything but I'm bored repeating the other thread. Bottom line, while being gay may often be the way people are, I do think that young boys who may have bi-sexual tendencies can be swayed to the other side at young, impressionable ages and while I don't think being gay should be illegal, I also don't think we should encourage or legitimize it.

20. Pats726

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

OK...so we should discriminate..is that it??? SO giving them the same rights as you do is legitimizing "it"?? So..we have to worry about boys..who may be swayed into being gay..We don't have to worry about teen agers who may get swept up with older heterosexuals as well??? Just trying to understand...