Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gates asks Air Force to do more???

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 22, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Maybe I am just stupid, but I thought the Secretary of Defense was in charge of the Armed forces.. if he is why doesn't he just tell these folks to do it, ask them to do it???.. this is bizarro..

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2008-04-21-gates-air-force-iraq_N.htm

Gates made his remarks to a large group of officers at the Air Force's Air University at Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. Noting that they represent the future of Air Force leadership, he urged them to think innovatively and worry less about their careers than about adapting to a changing world.

While Gates' comments were directed mainly at the Air Force, his concern about faster fielding of unmanned surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft included a broader appeal to the entire military. The Army, Navy and Marine Corps have been expanding their fleets of drone aircraft.

"In my view we can do and we should do more to meet the needs of men and women fighting in the current conflicts while their outcome may still be in doubt," he said. "My concern is that our services are still not moving aggressively in wartime to provide resources needed now on the battlefield."

He cited the example of drone aircraft that can watch, hunt and sometimes kill insurgents without risking the life of a pilot. He said the number of such aircraft has grown 25-fold since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to a total of 5,000.

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I agree with the bulk of your analysis.

From the same article. It's basically the same thing that helped sink Rummy. Lots and lots of officers only care about increasing rank and power. Rummy was trying to weed those people out, and the contributed to his eventual demise.

The secdef has no actual power to "order" them to do anything, to the best of my knowledge. Generals move slowly in the best of times, but when they don't want to do something...think glaciers. And in the air force, what do you want to do? Fly cool planes.
    Fighters, then bombers, then everything else, then kites, then drones.

Drones aren't "sexy". Hard to be really cool looking in your flightsuit when you spend an 8 hour shift at a joystick, playing a glorified Xbox.

3. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He can order them, the SECDEF is in everyone's chain of command. The title is misleading, he is asking them to come up with new TTP's. The Air Force hasn't evolved in the same manner the Army and Marine Corps has throughout the GWOT. He's asking them to let go of old methods and come up with new tactics and procedures.

Ole Rummy wasn't pruning the tree for your above reason. He chased out everyone he didn't agree with him. Like when they said they needed X thousands troops to take Iraq, he said use his number. What did that get us? A huge power vacuum.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  4. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  5. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's not strictly true, and a trifle misleading. Many of the people w ho didn't agree with him were people who wanted to continue with their little kingdoms and not change...IE letting go of old methods etc.

6. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And he's still in the Chain of Command.

7. bmf31c

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

More accurate than what you posted above. A new Service secretary nearly always turn over the top level guys, happens every time one takes over.

8. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's exactly what I posted above.