Gasper: We're witnessing a breakdown in communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There's some interesting commentary in the article. Here are a few points:

We have seen uncharacteristic breakdowns from the Patriots this season in just about every phase of the game, and now we're witnessing a breakdown in communication between Belichick and some of his players.

Belichick can't just dictate to his subservient subjects, not when the team is 7-5, and has lost three of four for the first time since 2002, and not when he has a team chock full of impressionable young players and veteran hired guns who didn't reside on Patriots Way when it was the path to three Super Bowl titles earlier this decade.

There has been an undercurrent of ferment in Foxborough all season long. It started with the team's decision to exile outspoken defensive end Richard Seymour to the Oakland Raiders on Sept. 6, eight days before the season-opener against Buffalo. That trade was an eye-opener to a lot of the Patriots' rank-and-file, a reminder that what is in the best interest of the team doesn't necessarily take into account their interests at all.

Throw in the fact that nose tackle and defensive captain Vince Wilfork, the team's best defensive player, is being held to a bad, six-year rookie contract and has been unable to come to terms on a new deal, and that the Patriots are a team with a lot of Hessian soldiers like Thomas, the most expensive free agent in team history, who have experienced NFL life as members of less totalitarian teams and the Patriot Way has given way to the Patriot Wayward.

The reality is that not everyone in the locker room is simply downing the Patriot Kool-Aid without looking anymore. Some guys are grabbing the cup, sniffing it, and pouring it out when no one is looking.

Time to communicate - Christopher Gasper's Blog - Boston sports news - Boston.com

Watch. If Wilfork goes in the offseason, we'll see the same people that are complimenting Wilfork on his attitude toward the contract negotiations now saying that he was "always a cancer" and "chasing the almighty dollar" if/when he goes to another team and speaks out. It's almost a travesty that he hasn't been re-signed yet.

I suspect that there isn't a lot different in "communication", aside from that one bad seed who continues to go to the media. We lost a lot of leaders in the locker room for sure, but others will step up, the team will improve and this will be another "they hate their coach" memory.

Watch. If Wilfork goes in the offseason, we'll see the same people that are complimenting Wilfork on his attitude toward the contract negotiations now saying that he was "always a cancer" and "chasing the almighty dollar" if/when he goes to another team and speaks out. It's almost a travesty that he hasn't been re-signed yet.

Oh OK except there is no evidence to suggest that will be the case. Unless you have examples of specific posters being hypocritical like this, then it's not fair to lump 2 arguments into one and accuse them as coming from the same person.

Gasper the Friendly Ghost can't do better than this??
This team is 7 - 5 because the virtually intact offense has struggled this season with a new coach in Bill O'Brien on the sidelines and a QB coming back from a year off and a significant injury. Do you notice how the media refuses to train their eyes on Tom Brady and this O??
Vince Wilfork and his contract isn't the problem at all right now and **** Seymour's presence would not have changed the outcome of a single game this team. How do we know that?? **** producted 1 and 1/2 sacks in the 5 losses the Patriots had last season to the Jets, Dolphins, Colts, Steelers and Chargers and did so when 1 on 1. The days of Double Team **** have been over for a couple of years at least. **** doesn't save his best games for the biggest opponents. Seymour as a team leader is also highly overrated. **** was a guy known for playing hard when the smell of money inspired him. Hardly leadership qualities.
Jerod Mayo and Brandon Meriweather are the future leaders of the D. BB needs to rid the team of cancers Thomas and Springs so these leaders can blossom.

Oh OK except there is no evidence to suggest that will be the case. Unless you have examples of specific posters being hypocritical like this, then it's not fair to lump 2 arguments into one and accuse them as coming from the same person.

I don't recall anyone spewing venom about Richard Seymour last season the way people have lately. I know you read the thread so I don't believe I have to list specific examples for you.

I hope we do re-sign Vince but if we don't I've got no problem with him. Vince Wilfork plays hard, keeps his mouth shut and doesn't strut around like a rooster in heat telling anyone and everyone who will listen how he's a "man" ala **** Seymour.
I was critical of the Big Overrated when he was here so my critique of him now that he's gone is no different. I've got no issue with Vince Wilfork and if he leaves I'll wish him well. Terrific player and a hell of a guy who will be missed if he does leave.

I completely agree

I don't recall anyone spewing venom about Richard Seymour last season the way people have lately. I know you read the thread so I don't believe I have to list specific examples for you.

:wha:
I'm proud to say I've had the same low opinion of **** the Big Overrated Seymour for at least a couple of years now and have freely shared those thoughts with my fellow Patriot brethren on this site. And I've had company that's been in agreement with me for those couple of years.

so many reactionary articles about the entire season. Brady doesnt throw and INT in miami in the EZ and gasper would have to shut this article up for a few more weeks. I hate this timely crap. If players had issues with seymour being let go and and you as a report want to write a story then do it then . Dont do it when its convenient for you .

I did, never liked the guy. Even when the kool-aid was being shipped in faster than the players could drink it, Seymour was about Seymour.

Wilfork is another story. The front office should have given this man his money by now. Kaczur, Neal, Warren, AD, Koppen, Light, Green, etc all have bigger cap hits than Wilfork in 2009. He gets much respect from me for playing his best every game while having every right to moan and cry. He is a man who signed a contract and will play it until the end. A great example of a man who's word is more important than the $.

so many reactionary articles about the entire season. Brady doesnt throw and INT in miami in the EZ and gasper would have to shut this article up for a few more weeks. I hate this timely crap. If players had issues with seymour being let go and and you as a report want to write a story then do it then . Dont do it when its convenient for you .

Agree 100%. I generally ignore opinion pieces, because while these "journalists" tend to be talented, trained writers, they generally lack such qualifications with regard to the game itself. To me, "sports columnist" is nearly a contradiction of terms.

so many reactionary articles about the entire season. Brady doesnt throw and INT in miami in the EZ and Gasper would have to shut this article up for a few more weeks. I hate this timely crap. If players had issues with seymour being let go and and you as a report want to write a story then do it then . Dont do it when its convenient for you .

A pretty gossipy article, which might well be true but it's impossible to know whether this is coming from 3 or 4 players, or more. Gasper doesn't want you to know. He also doesn't know the difference between ferment and foment, which is pretty funny for a supposed journalist.

The fact remains though that once the players start dictating who plays and who doesn't, it will only be a matter of time before Gasper gets to write articles about how BB isn't the boss anymore. When Carroll was here Borges constantly mocked him for trying to placate the players; he's been eviscerating BB ever since for not placating them. Borges constantly reminded people on the radio and in his columns that "your players will get you fired"...and he has been pushing for that to happen here for years.

It seems very possible that Springs is being punished for being an *******...and maybe it's backfiring. Is it any surprise that players that come from Washington and Baltimore, where the coach is "chill as long as you a playa", are chafing in NE? Too many new faces, too many new coaches. Not enough accountability.

The point about Wilfork is true, though--if he were getting paid better, he'd be a more important force in that room.

Let's assume 2010 is capped. I'd franchise Wilfork, trade him for a 1st round pick and go after Casey Hampton or Aubrayo Franklin (he will probably get the tag). In the end, you'd save money, gain a first round pick without much of a drop off (if any) at the NT position. If the Pats ever want a balanced defense, they're going to have to let Wilfork go get his money somewhere else.

Last edited:
We're witnessing a team that is going through change
... media blowhards trying to make some extra money off of it.

We're witnessing a team that is going through change
... media blowhards trying to make some extra money off of it.

Truth. Although I think that BB could stand to question some of his own tactics, and could probably use some vocal assistants, the media stance is almost always going to be in favor of failure and controversy. It's just better for them, professionally. You know this by considering that while losing and discontent are bad and are worth covering, even in 2007 when the Patriots were dominating and everyone was focused and unified, much of the coverage was negative and critical: they were too cold, too machine-like, they had a dark cloud over them, they were mean, they were feeling the pressure--if not this week, then surely next week, right?

While columnists do offer some insight into the locker room dynamics, their writing will always be slanted. It's just what sells.

Can anyone explain to me why Big Vince has not been extended yet? For the life of me I just don't get this one. I'll chug the Kool Aid with the best of them but management has dropped the ball here! Big Time!!!

Can anyone explain to me why Big Vince has not been extended yet? For the life of me I just don't get this one. I'll chug the Kool Aid with the best of them but management has dropped the ball here! Big Time!!!

He would costa too much money. Maybe they think money would be best spent elsewhere on say a 32 year old malcontented LB who can't rush the passer to save his life.

Just not a fan of Gasper. I'm all for criticizm of BB, but Gasper is spending too much time on 98.5 and listening to Joey From Malden...

I don't believe Gasper's hysterics, but if I did it's almost like a few losses would be good for this team so we can figure out who all the weak-kneed malcontents are. These are grown men, and if they can't figure out a few obvious things about Belichick, then they don't deserve to be on the team.

The Patriots won as a team--and if they get rid of the malcontents, I'd be happier to see them go down fighting than win a few to cover over the festering cancers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes