PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper on Slater

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just emailed him and he got back to me quickly with his defense. He writes the following,

"It's hard to make an accurate comparisson between the two. Jones-Drew was a great running back and seemed to be just that during his career. I thought he would be a good pro, though admittedly not nearly as good as he has become. Thing is, and I'm sure you're gonna get slaughtered on the internet for this, Jones-Drew is a very good running back. You will all find out that Slater is just a great football player. He's not a free safety, he's not a split end, I don't know what the **** he is really. He's a special teams guy and one hell of one at that. Anyone who followed the Bruins knew Slater was a better Bruin than Jones-Drew. Now stop being gay and posting on the internet..."

I should just get him to register.

Now stop being gay and posting on the internet..."

I'm guessing he won't :)

Thanks for the info, sounds like we have a heck of an athlete for ST who should have the athletic ability to develop at whatever position we put him at.

A close friend of mine graduated from UCLA this spring and is a little too into their football. About 15 minutes after the pick, my cell rings.

Buddy: Dude, do you know what just happened?
Me: Yeah, we got some return dude...isn't that a little much to be drafted?
Buddy: You're joking right?
Me: No.
Buddy: Remember when we were sitting in your dorm room, swilling beers freshman year and the Pats drafted some tackle/guard from Fresno State and you lept off the futon, spilled beer on the x-box controllers and screamed, "Who the f*ck is Logan Mankins?!"
Me: Yeah....
Buddy: You guys just drafted the best player we've had in years.
Me: Like better than Jones-Drew?
Buddy: Just wait until he gets into camp...

Seems like he's right on.

Funny, watching the draft with my friends, my shriek of "Logan MANkins???!!!" still lives in infamy. :)

I live out in LA and didn't hear much buzz about Slater upon his drafting. Don't know many diehard Bruins fans. Read a fluff piece or two in the LA Times, that's it.

He might not be as good as MJD, but it won't take much for him to be the second best UCLA player currently in the NFL. :)

So, I just emailed him and he got back to me quickly with his defense. He writes the following,

"It's hard to make an accurate comparisson between the two. Jones-Drew was a great running back and seemed to be just that during his career. I thought he would be a good pro, though admittedly not nearly as good as he has become. Thing is, and I'm sure you're gonna get slaughtered on the internet for this, Jones-Drew is a very good running back. You will all find out that Slater is just a great football player. He's not a free safety, he's not a split end, I don't know what the **** he is really. He's a special teams guy and one hell of one at that. Anyone who followed the Bruins knew Slater was a better Bruin than Jones-Drew. Now stop being gay and posting on the internet..."

Your friend sounds like he'd fit like a glove here. Get him to register, if he's a Pats fan.

The big mystery about Slater is why he never found a position in college. When the the best athlete on the team is highly intelligent, highly motivated, and steeped in football from birth, how does he become a career special teamer? I remember at draft time reading a UCLA fan or two complaining bitterly that Slater had been misused and underused by the coaching staff, but why?

(That said, if he really is a standout as both a KR and gunner as camp reports have suggested, I'll take it!)

The big mystery about Slater is why he never found a position in college. When the the best athlete on the team is highly intelligent, highly motivated, and steeped in football from birth, how does he become a career special teamer? I remember at draft time reading a UCLA fan or two complaining bitterly that Slater had been misused and underused by the coaching staff, but why?

(That said, if he really is a standout as both a KR and gunner as camp reports have suggested, I'll take it!)

Because sometimes coaches simply don't understand what they've got, or never really give the players the chance to prove themselves. In that regard, Mike Vrabel at the end of his rookie contract with PIT says hi. Or, worse still, they get stuck on a particular scheme, and try to force the players into the scheme rather than adopting the scheme to the players (the Pats D with Ratgini doing the callplaying says hi).

To give the coaches a smidgen of the benefit of the doubt, maybe he can't play other positions. I'm sure they tried him out, but obviously he couldn't break the lineup.

If Monty Beisel ran a 4.2, he'd be a heckuva KR, but he still couldn't play ILB. Maybe he'll be another Vrabel, as ctpf suggests. But maybe he'll just be a terrific KR and gunner, which for a 5th rd pick would be a great deal. Esp. considering what Miami did last year.

Here's something from AllWorldTE, who had a nice camp report (see post #205).
Slater was in blue working with the defense today but put on a yellow vest and got some reps at receiver here and there. He ran a deep comeback at one point that he must have telegraphed because Mike Richardson jumped the route before Slater made his break. Richardson was standing at the comeback spot just hoping for a throw there for a pick but the QB didn't throw the comeback. Slater must have really gave it away because Richardson was the deep coverage and would have been smoked if Slater had continued downfield.
Maybe he hasn't been coached in the art of setting up DBs, and selling routes and all that. Maybe if (when) he makes the team, he'll get top-notch professional coaching and can grow into a dynamite WR or safety.

Here is a little background info (note it is before his senior year).

What are you trying to do, mess up all these unfounded opinions with real information?

Good stuff, thank you!!

BTW, when I asked "why," it was a genuine question. I assumed there were reasons, and likely good ones. It's just unusual to see at the college level, especially on a team that wasn't otherwise bursting with talent.

Good stuff, thank you!!

BTW, when I asked "why," it was a genuine question. I assumed there were reasons, and likely good ones. It's just unusual to see at the college level, especially on a team that wasn't otherwise bursting with talent.

Actually your question is still valid for his senior year. He was healthy and experienced yet didn't get extensive time on the field for offense or defense. I think that should temper people's expectations of Slater outside of special teams. That being said, having your special teams stud being able to fill in at both WR and DB in a pinch is nice flexibility to have.

As do I and I still rip on him for saying that. He seems pretty convinced though.

I knew Maurice Drew would be a great pro. I thought Reggie Bush would be better, though. I know Maurice Drew's mother in law who adores him as a person so I paid close attention to college career.

I'm psyched to get a big 'I told you so' regarding Slater. I've been hyping him from the day he was drafted - it might take some time (BB makes every rookie pay their dues) but Slater will be known around the league as a solid talent. I can hear that goof ball Bradshaw saying, "that Slater kid, he's got some of them Devin Hester moves. Whoee! He's real fast, Jimmie. Ain't he?" :cool3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing