PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Mayo out 6-8wks, possibly less - sprained MCL- grade 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mayo out 6-8wks - sprained MCL- grade 3

Neither source is a declared MD. Neither source says it is not a 3rd degree MCL. Prepare for the worst don't try to sugar coat the
seriousness of the injury. If it is less than 6 weeks we'll all be thankful.
I'm just saying the title needed to be changed as it was. With all due respect to you and Mike the Brit, definitions and experiences don't matter, each situation is unique and for a young athlete, erring on the side of less time missed is often correct. Regardless, we have our bye in 6 weeks so I expect him back right after that.

Don't count on it.

When a grade III injury occurs, patients usually wear a knee immobilizer and protect weight-bearing (crutches) for the first week to 10 days following injury. Patients should remove the immobilizer several times a day to work on bending their knee. After that time, the patient can begin wearing a hinged knee brace, and can begin to increase their range of motion in the knee. They can apply more weight to the knee as pain allows. Once the patient can flex the knee at least to 100 degrees, they may begin riding a stationary bicycle. The crutches can be discontinued one the patient is able to walk without limping. Jogging can begin once the patient has regained 60% of their quadriceps strength (compared to the opposite side), and agility drills can begin one they have regained 80% of their strength. Complete rehab from a grade III MCL tear can take 3-4 months

I think the 6-8 weeks (or less) is actually accurate. The site that you quoted this from was pertaining to rehab times for the AVERAGE person and not an NFL athlete with an entire training staff at his disposal. The link below pertains more to rehab times in athletes and suggests that 5 weeks is the average for a grade III MCL sprain.

http://www.stockton.edu/ospreys/ComInjuries/MCLSprain.htm

Last edited:
we just lost either the 1st or 2nd most important player on defense....and one of the top 5 most important players on the team...this will hurt, and it will be felt

A completely baseless hunch, but I'm gonna say he'll miss 4 games.

But I'd really love to hear more stories from individual posters who have had the same injury, especially since they're not really working stiffs from Cleveland (or wherever) who haven't picked up a weight since high school and are just like sculpted NFL linebackers with access to the best doctors, world class facilities and an unlimited budget (no co pay!) to help them get back to where they need to be.

Steelers and Pats now both down a big defensive player for about the same amount of time.

I want to be optimistic too, but I don't think the "young athlete" thing is enough to cut it down much, from what I've seen. Yes, young athletes heal quicker, but "good to go" as a football player is way above everyday functionality. I jogged and skied (in a brace) but I still had twinges when I twisted and I wouldn't have wanted to play soccer or squash.

Torn ACL would be horrible news. This is a sucky setback.

You'll change your mind the first time you see a screen play go for 25+ yards on a 3rd and 15 this weekend. I would say a torn ACL should be labeled as "soul crushing news".

Don't count on it.

When a grade III injury occurs, patients usually wear a knee immobilizer and protect weight-bearing (crutches) for the first week to 10 days following injury. Patients should remove the immobilizer several times a day to work on bending their knee. After that time, the patient can begin wearing a hinged knee brace, and can begin to increase their range of motion in the knee. They can apply more weight to the knee as pain allows. Once the patient can flex the knee at least to 100 degrees, they may begin riding a stationary bicycle. The crutches can be discontinued one the patient is able to walk without limping. Jogging can begin once the patient has regained 60% of their quadriceps strength (compared to the opposite side), and agility drills can begin one they have regained 80% of their strength. Complete rehab from a grade III MCL tear can take 3-4 months

That refers to an ordinary patient, your everyday Joe who smokes and drinks beer and has a pot belly.

Mayo is an elite athlete who is in top-notch shape and takes very good care of his body.

3-6 weeks, like I said.

EDIT: sorry flyonthewall did not see your post.

Last edited:

First class, probably.

This is horrible news.

If Seau is actually on the way, who are we cutting?

What is wrong with going with Guyton as mike and Woods as will? I've said this a few times.

It sucks, but ultimately it is what it is. An MCL sprain on a 23 year old with 99.9th percentile muscle mass, tendons developed through 10 years of intense strength and explosion training, and the finest physicians in the world working on it really isn't that bad.

Get Mayo back for November after the defense has developed continuity? Hell, it's basically going to be like getting him off of the PUP. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a season jeopardizing injury.

Last edited:

What is wrong with going with Guyton as mike and Woods as will? I've said this a few times.

Nothing at all, and that is going to be the likely move. Will probably improve the pass rush as well, FWIW.

If we signed anyone it would likely be Lenon not Seau. His "6 games" would be the last 6 not the first 6. We can (just) survive as is. Some sizeable leads would help a lot.

not sure if Seau is the answer I'ld be happy to see him back but he has only played 4 games since SB42. but to answer your question what is wrong is that than you are one injury away from alexander and you can't play any 3-4.

Frankly I don't think they would risk rushing him back so soon...I think they wait until after the bye week which would be eight weeks after the injury.

So Mayo says it's not serious, Bill says he doesn't know, one unnamed source says 6-8 weeks, and another says less.

Ok.

Relax, have faith in the other players.....and BB. We're finest kind, Baby.

DontPanic.jpg

Where's an OchoCinco tweet when you need one?!? I guess he's not buds with Mayo like Brady is. :(

Oh well, here's hoping for sooner rather than later, anyway.

Last edited:
The challenge is, will we be within striking distance when the season is half over? The way I see it, it's like losing Conigliaro in '67, except that Mayo is coming back. Brady and the offense will put up numbers. In Warren, Wilfork, Green, AD, Woods, Merriweather, et al, I think there is more than enough talent to hold the fort. If they can, things could get pretty interesting. We have a bunch of talented young players who will make our special teams (Slater, Edelman) and defense (Brace, Pryor, Chung, Butler, Ninko, Mayo) much improved in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes