Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gasper: Maroney Out to Make Up Ground

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mayoclinic, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +414 / 0 / -2

I know this won't go very far with the LoMo hate crowd, but this out from Chris Gasper today:

He’s out to make up ground - The Boston Globe

I must say, Maroney sure sounds like a good kid with his head screwed on right. I hope he makes it. I'm not convinced he will ever learn to run properly, but he has tremendous skills when he gets the ball in space and I am convinced that he can be a major weapon for us when used properly, and in tandem with other running backs.
  2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +578 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Yawn:

10/4/2009 - - 4 days ago - - (pre-Ravens game) .....but....but.....this time he really means it?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../10/279107-gasper-maroney-ready-run-hard.html (Boston Globe 10/4/2009)

PencilneckgeeK: I know there are a lot of haters out there, but this sounds like a guy who gets it. (edit: hey Mayo - it's like PGeek is Mike Sando and you are Borges! :) )

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoMo
    "This definitely is a challenge to try to run the ball on those guys. It ain't going to be something that's going to be easy. It's going to be a hard challenge, a hard task and you know it's going to be difficult because you know they're going to come out 100 miles an hour playing physical.

"It's really one of these games to where east and west running is not going to work against these guys. You're going to have to sit here and really take a pounding. I'm going to have to get my Advil and Tylenol ready, it's going to be one of those type of physical games, one of those games that as a running back you like to play
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  3. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 35 / -13

#32 Jersey

Its deja vu all over again.

Talk is cheap. Bring on BJGE
  4. mfaith

mfaith Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maroney will be a good Faulk replacement when KF retires. He is good in the open field, can catch the ball, and does well on returns. He's not an every-down back.
  5. Xplicit

Xplicit Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He deserves to be boo'd. 3 years of his dancing and still no improvement.
  6. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Maroney is the RB version of Chad Jackson on this team.... A lot of potential but even more BS as a pro - 2 Busts in 2 rounds in 2006,thank god we had previously better draft years than that one.
  7. shmessy

Ratings:
    +578 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

All that being said, I do think LoMo may have a big game this week. He has a history of breaking out just when he is backed in a corner and when the entire Pats Nation is fed up with him.

He's a good kid who says the right things and I'm rooting for him.

I just wish he would perform to expectations WITHOUT having to get the heat turned up each time.
  8. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 11 / -1

#87 Jersey

Sure you are Maroney, sure.
  9. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

THat's a little extreme. Jackson rarely if ever saw the field. Maroney has seen the field quite a bit, which is too much for a lot of people, but a fact just the same.
  10. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Isn't this the 2nd time in 2 weeks that Gaspar has written a man-love article about LoMo?....."not that there's anything wrong with that".(Seinfeid)
  11. Laurence Maroney's Dreads

Laurence Maroney's Dreads Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Agreed

Someone in this thread said LoMo is the RB version of Chad Jackson. He's more like the football version of JD Drew. Constantly injury prone, useless at times, but damn when we need him he shows up. Hopefully he busts out before I want to change my username!
  12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 52 / -64

Disable Jersey

Always fun to watch the same people that kill others for questioning BB's trade moves and the like when they go about bashing players like Maroney as if that's not questioning BB's moves, even as BB has kept Maroney as the team's starter whenever he's been healthy.
  13. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +273 / 18 / -2

Maroney's 4.5+ yards a carry when he gets the ball 20+ times is not enough for the patriot running game. Surely Green-Ellis can do better. We should sit Maroney and play Green-Ellis.
  14. LeonPowe

LeonPowe Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maroney just needs to shut up and do it. And the Patriots need to give him more than 5 carries per game.
  15. shmessy

Ratings:
    +578 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

2nd time in 4 days.

See post #2.
  16. shmessy

Ratings:
    +578 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Maybe it puts your slogan about Koolaid drinking to ridicule.

You charge that people here are blindly in the tank with BB when you disagree with him, then you can't can't believe when people disagree with him.

Which is it?

Maybe the truth to you is not about disagreeing or agreeing with BB (which people here do both of, therefore are not blind followers), but whether forum posters disagree or agree with YOU.
  17. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

From what I saw, he's had 1 bad game (Baltimore). The rest of the games haven't been great, but IMO he did well with whatever he was given in terms of carries/holes.
  18. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 52 / -64

Disable Jersey

No, it has nothing to do with agreement with me. Frankly, there are many here that make me rethink my positions if I find that they are in agreement with me, because that makes me very concerned that I may be wrong.

It has to do with the irony and the disconnect.
  19. TomPatriot

TomPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The closest comparison I can call to mind is Ron Dayne, the former back for the Giants and Broncos. He was big, bigger than Maroney, but he could never hit the hole hard or fast, much like Maroney.
  20. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +124 / 68 / -57

#87 Jersey

None of the running backs in that draft, except for Jones-Drew, has lived up to their potential, starting with Reggie Bush, then Maroney (The Phoney), Addai, etc. Those 3 have had flashes of brilliance, but also have been pushed by other backs, and in some cases, are the secondary backs now. It's a shame, but I remember being a big Maroney fan back in 2005 & 2006, now I can't wait until he's gone, I don't think he will ever be a star or even above avarage. What a shame.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.