PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Bodden leaves Foxborough with no deal [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss: Bodden leaves Foxborough with no deal.

Did Bodden fail BB's film test?

Did Bodden want to much money?

Is Bodden not a good fit for the Pats clubhouse?

Probably wants too much money. Let's face it if you leave a meeting on the first full day of free agency, chances are that you are not going to sign with that team.

It's too bad that Bodden left and I agree with the poster in another thread who worried about the "Foxworth effect". When Domonique Foxworth gets the deal he got from the Ravens, Bodden probably expected to receive a similar (or larger) deal.

Hopefully, we will find a CB in free agency, but I don't see the Patriots paying 6-7 million a year for any of the available corners.

Is Phillip Buchanon an option?

I talked to him a few days ago, and he said he "wouldn't mind" playing for the Patriots, after I asked him.

It's too bad that Bodden left and I agree with the poster in another thread who worried about the "Foxworth effect". When Domonique Foxworth gets the deal he got from the Ravens, Bodden probably expected to receive a similar (or larger) deal.

Hopefully, we will find a CB in free agency, but I don't see the Patriots paying 6-7 million a year for any of the available corners.

Its not even the Foxworth effect. Its the Kelvin Hayden effect. The friggin Colts gave that guy a ridiculous contract. And its trickled down from there.

Removing my fan goggles for a second, you can't really blame the guy. He stands to make 4-6 per year somewhere else considering the MeAngelo Hall deal. He was a UDFA, meaning he got close to the bare minimum for the league in his first contract go-around. NFL stands for Not For Long, so consider the earning potential for a 27 year old. Ultimately, he needs to maximize his personal revenue inside of 5 years and live off of that. So, in my mind, he can't be vilifed for moving towards the money.

Last edited:

Probably wants too much money. Let's face it if you leave a meeting on the first full day of free agency, chances are that you are not going to sign with that team.

That's not neccessarily true. Besides, Bodden has been a free agent for a couple weeks now since he was cut. As far as I know, the Pats are his first and only visit. It doesn't seem that the Pats have to rush to sign the guy. It doesn't look like he is a high priority for a lot of teams.

Cassel's large cap hit is going to kill any big free agents coming here. I hope they can get a deal soon. The Jets are getting better. I hope the Patriots can get something for Cassel and fill a few spots.

With the Vrabel trade, the Pats will be about $9 million or so under the cap. Plenty of room to sign a Bodden type of player. They can restructure contracts too. The Pats don't seem all that interested in the big free agents anyway.

With the Vrabel trade, the Pats will be about $9 million or so under the cap. Plenty of room to sign a Bodden type of player. They can restructure contracts too. The Pats don't seem all that interested in the big free agents anyway.

But why should they use their cap space on a CB?

At the end of the day, if he was onlyabout the cash, he should never have visited. Who associated with the NFL does not know that BB is the antithesis of Danny Syndor.

Alphonso Smith.

That's not neccessarily true. Besides, Bodden has been a free agent for a couple weeks now since he was cut. As far as I know, the Pats are his first and only visit. It doesn't seem that the Pats have to rush to sign the guy. It doesn't look like he is a high priority for a lot of teams.

After this first wave of money free agents is over Bodden is going to be the next best option for teams and may get a lot more interest.

Its not even the Foxworth effect. Its the Kelvin Hayden effect. The friggin Colts gave that guy a ridiculous contract. And its trickled down from there.

Yep, as soon as I saw that deal I just had a hunch it would make it that much harder for us to pick up a quality CB.

Frickin' Colts.

Yep, as soon as I saw that deal I just had a hunch it would make it that much harder for us to pick up a quality CB.

Frickin' Colts.

its always something!! But, i think Bodden will come to his sense and make a deal with the Patriots!!

Good point. The Corey Webster and Chris Gamble contracts signed before Hayden's were also quite large.

The guy you all should be cursing is Mike Nolan for paying Nate Clements like he did, that's what set the bar.

Next year, when Wilfork is looking for 40-60, we can collectively curse Snyder.

Cassel's large cap hit is going to kill any big free agents coming here. I hope they can get a deal soon. The Jets are getting better. I hope the Patriots can get something for Cassel and fill a few spots.

Get a hold of yourself. The Jets are the Clippers of the NFL and have sucked for 40 years. Take a deep breath and say J - E - S -T....suck suck suck

The Pats will not get caught up in a CB feeding frenzy. If Bodden wants to play for a winner and be successful (after a down year in Detroit) then we can make it work. If he wants top dollar then he can go somewhere else.

All those ridiculous CB contracts hurt, but not that much. Bodden would be great, but if he won't bite we'll move on. There are plenty of JAGs out there. With Hobbs/Wheatley/Wilhite/Richardson we really only need 1 CB, and the draft is plenty of decent ones, despite the lousy combine times. There's no need to panic.

I think that if Bodden sees that there is not a lot of interest he will come back to the Pats, and the FO will figure out a cap-friendly incentive-laden contract that allows him to play for us for at least one year. The Stallworth comparison may be a good one. On the other hand, with the dwindling CBs, if someone wants to throw the bank at Bodden, then good luck to him.

Think Hank Poteat quality players for the Patriots. They don't

need good cornerbacks, they need a pass rush. They also need

some salary cap money.

A secondary is only as good as its pass rush, look at the Chargers last year. I'd love to see Bodden in a Pats uniform, but I think I'll just be able to stay away from the razor blades and barbiturates if the deal doesn't happen.

The priority lies in upgrading/sorting out the pass rush. Has been since mid-season when it became evident that we were lacking.

A bit disappointed..needed some good news after the Vrabel trade..NOT happening...I doubt he will be back...might have been a good fit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back