PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: Bodden deal NOT veteran minimum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that leave us with cap space for Taylor?

So much for the people who thought that Bodden wouldn't even last through the preseason. There is next to no chance barring a complete failure that Bodden is cut.

I figured that when I heard Bodden had an one year deal that he was going to try to use this year to jumpstart his career again and get much better deal next year with no salary cap. The no franchising thing is not a surprise to me.

It's a fair deal. Bodden gets the chance to prove he's worth the money. And the Pats get him for one year on cheap dollars. Win-win for both parties.

Re: Bodden deal NOT vet min.

I said "hope" and no I'm not rich. Everyone please ignore that other comment, obviously some people can't separate normal from NFL normal. Sorry for messing up the thread.

You didn't mess up the thread. I was gonna feel good for you though if you were very wealthy. I wish I was :eek:

You didn't mess up the thread. I was gonna feel good for you though if you were very wealthy. I wish I was :eek:
Nah, I wish I felt poor at $750K - if I made that I would work for 2-3 years then retire.

Nah, I wish I felt poor at $750K - if I made that I would work for 2-3 years then retire.

Heh, if you were talking about average salaries of people who attend Patriots games these days, you'd have fallen well short of the mark ;) They make so much money, they don't even have to cheer to root for their team :(

Last edited:
Not sure if this information reached the forum....

In the days before cornerback Leigh Bodden signed with the Patriots, plenty of readers asked us whether he was still planning to play pro football.
As it turns out, Bodden had an opportunity on the first day of free agency. But he passed. (Maybe he wanted Ted Danson money.)
Per multiple league sources, the Patriots made a four-year, $16 million offer on February 27. He had been cut by the Lions on February 9.
In the end, Bodden signed a one-year, $2.25 million contract, including a commitment that the Patriots won’t apply the franchise tag to him in 2010.
Though it’s unclear whether the four-year, $16 million deal was still an option when Bodden signed, it appears that he opted for a short-term contract so that he could hit the market again in the uncapped year.

Interesting good move for both sides I suppose he does well hes gonna get payed well (most likely by another team) next year and for the time being we get him for a relatively cheap price.

Last edited:
hes going to be really, really motivated this year

I calculate $2M left, nowhere near enough for Taylor unless considerably more cap room is freed up before the season starts. BTW, we also have other needs that could be met through free agency. Options include #3 WR, #6 DL, #3 QB or a FB.

Miguel's numbers show $12.4M at the moment. I estimate $2.4M for Springs which Miguel doesn't have included yet, and $6M for rookies and other items needed for the season.

We could free up cap room through cuts, or through extensions of Faulk, Green and/or Light.

What does that leave us with cap space for Taylor?

I calculate $2M left, nowhere near enough for Taylor unless considerably more cap room is freed up before the season starts. BTW, we also have other needs that could be met through free agency. Options include #3 WR, #6 DL, #3 QB or a FB.

Miguel's numbers show $12.4M at the moment. I estimate $2.4M for Springs which Miguel doesn't have included yet, and $6M for rookies and other items needed for the season.

We could free up cap room through cuts, or through extensions of Faulk, Green and/or Light.

I'm very surprised Faulk hasn't been extended yet... especially considering his cap hit. I think there is more to the story there than we know.

I'm very surprised Faulk hasn't been extended yet... especially considering his cap hit. I think there is more to the story there than we know.

I'm a big fan of Kevin Faulk, but he'll be 33 before the season starts, and I'd be worried about extending a 33 year old runningback. 2-year at most is what i'd be hoping for.

I'm a big fan of Kevin Faulk, but he'll be 33 before the season starts, and I'd be worried about extending a 33 year old runningback. 2-year at most is what i'd be hoping for.

He doesn't have all the mileage though. Faulk will still be the man for several more years.

He doesn't have all the mileage though. Faulk will still be the man for several more years.

Possibly, but I've never seen evidence that mileage matters with older backs. They all tend to show precipitous decline shortly after 30.

That, and I'm sure everything hes saved with the low load is made up by returning punts.

Possibly, but I've never seen evidence that mileage matters with older backs. They all tend to show precipitous decline shortly after 30.

That, and I'm sure everything hes saved with the low load is made up by returning punts.

That's a tough one. He was awesome last year, and didn't get roughed up for it a whole lot.

He's gotta play while his age matches his number. Neither Brady or Moss will get to... ;)

You may be right. There is certainly a piece that I am not seeing, and that may be it. I was thinking along the same lines as BradyManny. I honestly think Faulk, so far, has only gotten better with age. He was amazing last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back