PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gasper: BB is too old to coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gasper:BB is too old to coach ?

It was only a matter of time before this came along.

I saw the story in today's Globe, started to write about it then decided he wasn't worth it. He spends, what, four paragraphs complaining about not being able to criticize BB because of stupid fans?

Anyway, I've promised myself I'd stay away from anything Gasper until his voice changes. Remember when Globe sportswriters used to be grownups? Those were the days.

I miss newspapers. I tried to grab the screen, crunch it in a ball and toss it, but it didn't work.

Gaspar!

129092786498235257.jpg

But rare is a coach able to deliver vintage results as he matures.

Rare is the coach able to deliver vintage results.

None of the coaches in Belichick's sphere (other than Noll) continued coaching long enough to prove Glasper correct. Noll is the only example we have of a great coach who didn't win as he got on in age. All the other got out at the top, Gibbs, Lombardi, Walsh. We don't know what they would have done if they kept at it.

Was Auerbach done winning when he handed the reigns over?

I don't read this pre-pube, but Bill Simmons made this same argument in an article written about a year ago, which is likely where Gasper got the idea.

Another day, another article written in Boston to get hits and cause controversy.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Another day, another article written in Boston to get hits and cause controversy.

Nothing to see here, move along.

There's nothing really controversial in the article.

Apparently there's nothing worth reading, either.......

What does age have to do with it? Gasper fails to acknowledge things like:

- Chuck Noll had a near decade draught with the Steelers before he stepped down. In his last seven years of coaching, he made the playoffs once. Noll peaked at age 47 and only had two more playoff wins for the rest of his career. Comparing him to Belichick in terms of age is a little silly. Noll's success disapeared when the Steel Curtain defense broke up. It had nothing to do with age.
- Landry's playoff success went down hill with the retirement of Stabauch.
- Gibbs decided to retire with three Super Bowls and pursue his outside interests (NASCAR). When he returned, he had to deal with Daniel Snyder's stupidity and being away from the game for nearly a decade didn't do him any justice since he seemed to struggle with the speed difference of the game since he left.
- Jimmy Johnson was pretty much forced out because of his conflicts with Dan Marino, the owner siding with Marino, and Johnson being hamstrung with Marino eventhough he played about 2-3 years too long. Johnson wanted to bench Marino in 1999 because he was clearly done and it turned into a bitter feud between the two (there was tension before that since Johnson wanted to trade him and Wayne Huizenga wanted to keep him). Both Marino and Johnson were gone after that season. If Johnson could have traded away Marino when he had value, he might have stayed with the Dolphins even through today for all we know.
- Bill Walsh retired by choice. It wasn't like he couldn't coach anymore.

I had HOPES for gaspar...that MAYBE he'd be more like Reiss...but NOOOOOOOO he's following in Felger's being a twit or worse!! YES I remember when adults RAN the Globe..not #*@&*$@

I miss newspapers. I tried to grab the screen, crunch it in a ball and toss it, but it didn't work.

If you believe what they are saying... someday our computer monitors will be the size of paper which will make it that much easier to toss like a newspaper. :p

Gasper fails to realize that he's not seeing an age correlation, but the ancient idea that "time changes all things".

Nor anything particularly insightful or enlightening.

Most unsuccessful coaches likely get flushed when they are younger. Most great coaches can be identified by great players, who ultimately age and retire thus explaining sporadic season records. The life as a head coach takes a toll that most are unwilling to pay for an extended period of time. Any of these would explain why coaches do not sick around for late life success stories. The age reference is fairly arbitrary given the other reasons head coaches hang up the headset.

The article appears to suggest, despite the evolution of player personalities on the roster, that Belichick has "lost a step." He has made moves criticized by the media since his arrival (Bledsoe, Milloy, etc.), so if anything he is consistent. Love him or hate him, he is the same coach and appears to be as committed to the game as he ever was.

I don't read this pre-pube, but Bill Simmons made this same argument in an article written about a year ago, which is likely where Gasper got the idea.

PRE PUBE you hit the nail on the head

Attachments

• fruit.jpg
    fruit.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 260

Belichick will never win again as long as he keeps on playin Bon Jovi during practice. Are the Patriots players a bunch of middle aged New Jersey housewives? Wrecks Cryin knows how to motivate today's playa....call em slap ****s. Now lets go get a snack!

Vermeil coached for a long time, not that he was very good in his later years, but he wasn't much different than his years with the Eagles. I think he was 63 or so when he won the Superbowl with the Rams.

It was only a matter of time before this came along.

Same here, Bill Simmons has been toeing this line for a few years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes